Proxy dials, dials, dials,...

Post by Reinhard Thoman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

SBS dial-up connection often dials without need!
I've configured Internet Mail Service to call every
6 hours.
I've configured Web Proxy (Version 2) without
active caching.
But SBS dials and dials (not mail) without any
user request. What's the reason for this (in
Germany expensive) behaviour?

TIA    Reinhard Thomann

Proxy dials, dials, dials,...

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You may want to look at IMS again and make sure it is not set to deliver
outgoing mail immediately

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

>SBS dial-up connection often dials without need!
>I've configured Internet Mail Service to call every
>6 hours.
>I've configured Web Proxy (Version 2) without
>active caching.
>But SBS dials and dials (not mail) without any
>user request. What's the reason for this (in
>Germany expensive) behaviour?

>TIA    Reinhard Thomann

Proxy dials, dials, dials,...

Post by Reinhard Thoman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i checked this property and no fault. It seems to be a problem of
Proxy 2. Is there another feature besides active caching which
dials automatically? I didn't configure any newsfeed.

Thanks
    Reinhard

Quote:>You may want to look at IMS again and make sure it is not set to deliver
>outgoing mail immediately

Proxy dials, dials, dials,...

Post by Tony Robert » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Any user with active channels running ......

Best Regards

Tony Roberts
Replace .nospam with .co.uk

Quote:>i checked this property and no fault. It seems to be a problem of
>Proxy 2. Is there another feature besides active caching which
>dials automatically? I didn't configure any newsfeed.

>Thanks
>    Reinhard

>>You may want to look at IMS again and make sure it is not set to deliver
>>outgoing mail immediately

Proxy dials, dials, dials,...

Post by Michel Bordelea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Here are a few things you could look into...

1.  Disable active caching.  (Internet Service Manager).  It's good to stop
and restart all the proxy services after you make this change.

2.  Disable LAN Manager broadcasts.  In network properties, under the
services tab, check out the properties for 'server'.  Make sure that the box
at the bottom labelled "Make browser broadcasts to LAN Manager 2.x Clients"
is not selected.

3.  Make sure the clients/workstations are not accessing the Internet due to
programs such as active desktop, internet mail services (local), or other
'net updated applications (BackWeb, etc).  To do this, shut down all the
clients and see if the problem persists.  If it doesn't, then you know it's
one or more of the workstations.  Bring them up one at a time and see if the
problem returns.  When you pinpoint the workstation, see if any of the above
softwares are running.

4.  Make sure the problem isn't with Exchange.  Disable IMS/IMC so that it
doesn't attempt to dial out.

5.  Disable WINS for the RAS bindings.

6.  Make sure the problem is not with your ISP.   Some ISPs seem to be
sending back signals that keep the connection alive.  Check your connection
statistics to see if the transfer that keeps the connection alive is inbound
or outbound.

Other resources:  http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/sbs.htm, MSKB articles
Q150820, Q181407, Q184833, Q171360

Hopefully this helps.  The solution seems to be different for different
people.

Quote:> SBS dial-up connection often dials without need!
> I've configured Internet Mail Service to call every
> 6 hours.
> I've configured Web Proxy (Version 2) without
> active caching.
> But SBS dials and dials (not mail) without any
> user request. What's the reason for this (in
> Germany expensive) behaviour?

> TIA    Reinhard Thomann

1. Email Dial Up Connection Interfearing With Proxy Server Dial Up

After several weeks of work, I finally have my SBS working with the POP3
Connector from MS. My users can now send and receive EMAIL via the Exchanger
Server. They are very happy, except for a small problem - when the Exchange
server decides it is time to dial out to pick-up and deliver email, it does
not check to see if a connection already exist. As a matter of fact, if the
dial up is already active (via someone surfing the web), it forces the dial
up connection to shut down and then redials the ISP.

Both Exchange and Proxy are using the same dial up entry from the phone
book: (dsnet)

Is there a way to tell Exchange to check to see if the connection is active
before trying to force a redial? What about the Proxy server? Is there a
setting there to tell it to check to see if Exchange has an open connection?

Thanks,

William Kitchings

2. Recognizing two 32 bit OS

3. Dialing in - Dialing out

4. Coral Draw Conv to .BMP format

5. Auto Dial VS Demand Dial

6. 603e vs G2 manuals

7. Can the same modem be used for Internet dial-Up and Dial-In?

8. PC binary file formats (IEEE/IBM)

9. how do i configure the fax services to dial 0 before dialling out

10. Out dial/in dial modems

11. why does remote access dial-OUT constantly fail when remote access dial-in is enabled

12. 1 Modem for dial-in and dial-out on 2000 OK?

13. SBS4.5a - Exchange Scheduled Dial out not dialing out.