SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by Robert S. Clayton I » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:27:48

Can anyone tell me if the product key (required during install) is recorded
anywhere on the system at installation.

Our lease serer went back to Dell with the code sticker, but we purchased
the OS off the lease.  I am going to be reinstalling to another new server,
but I cannot find that cose aywhere.  Any ideas?

Thanks,  Robert

p.s.  I know this is what I get for not writing it down!

SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by James Reathe » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:20:37

Quote:> Can anyone tell me if the product key (required during install) is
> recorded
> anywhere on the system at installation.

> Our lease serer went back to Dell with the code sticker, but we purchased
> the OS off the lease.  I am going to be reinstalling to another new
> server,
> but I cannot find that cose aywhere.  Any ideas?

If you have a running system, then use the freeware AIDA32
(http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php) and it will tell you the licence key(s)
used during the install.  However, it sounds like you don't have the server
any more.  Where were you hoping to get the licence from?  A backup?

James

Post by Per W » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:41:47

Quote:> Can anyone tell me if the product key (required during install) is
recorded
> anywhere on the system at installation.

> Our lease serer went back to Dell with the code sticker, but we purchased
> the OS off the lease.  I am going to be reinstalling to another new
server,
> but I cannot find that cose aywhere.  Any ideas?

If it was a OEM product related to the DELL server, then you have NO rigths
to use it on another server, thats why the OEM product-key is on a sticker
thats labeled to the computer. But call DELL and ask them, they maybe have
the old server and can e-mail you the productkey if it isnt a OEM product.

/Per W.

SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by Robert S. Clayton I » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:51:02

Thanks, that shareware app ran great!  The server is up, I am just
migrating it to another new server platform.

In reference to the licensing.  Actually I do have rights to the
software since I am migrating it to another new Dell System.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:27:48 GMT, "Robert S. Clayton II"

>Can anyone tell me if the product key (required during install) is recorded
>anywhere on the system at installation.

>Our lease serer went back to Dell with the code sticker, but we purchased
>the OS off the lease.  I am going to be reinstalling to another new server,
>but I cannot find that cose aywhere.  Any ideas?

>Thanks,  Robert

>p.s.  I know this is what I get for not writing it down!

SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by James Reathe » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:11:37

Quote:> If it was a OEM product related to the DELL server, then you have NO
> rigths
> to use it on another server, thats why the OEM product-key is on a sticker
> thats labeled to the computer. But call DELL and ask them, they maybe have
> the old server and can e-mail you the productkey if it isnt a OEM product.

Hang on, it's not as simple as that.

It depends where you are in the world, and what you've done with the OEM
software.  Some jurisdictions allow the sale of OEM software, some don't.
Some jurisdictions allow the resale of bundled OEM software as long as it
hasn't been used.  Read more:

California:

Germany:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/11866.html

the EU in general:

Australia:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uKFKZLyLCHA.1468%40tkmsftngp13

James

SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by SuperGumby [SBS MVP » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:55:54

Quote:> In reference to the licensing.  Actually I do have rights to the
> software since I am migrating it to another new Dell System.

actually, IMHO, that's irellevant. If the OS was purchased as part of an OEM
deal the OS is tied to that particular set of hardware. BUT THAT DOESN'T
APPLY, you suggst you bought the OS seperately from the hardare, so as long
as you have only one copy of the software active and have not passed rights
to that usage to another party then you're OK.

SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by Robert S. Clayton I » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 05:21:37

Actually it is that simple!  But, I may have missoken in an earlier
post.  The OEM License which is registered to us has been transfererd
to new machines under the original lease by Dell.  Since the OEM is
involved and we are the registered owner of both the software and
hardware through a single OEM.  Well, no harm, no foul!  The license
for the OEM software is being transferred by the OEM to new OEM
equipment.

Thank God I don't work in California though!

Thanks for all the great advice here.  One note to others though...
Not all ISP have the smallbiz2000 group available so directing people
to that group may not help ... In my case this is the ONLY SBS
newsgroup avalable through our ISP.

Thanks again,

Robert

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:11:37 +0100, "James Reather"

>> If it was a OEM product related to the DELL server, then you have NO
>> rigths
>> to use it on another server, thats why the OEM product-key is on a sticker
>> thats labeled to the computer. But call DELL and ask them, they maybe have
>> the old server and can e-mail you the productkey if it isnt a OEM product.

>Hang on, it's not as simple as that.

>It depends where you are in the world, and what you've done with the OEM
>software.  Some jurisdictions allow the sale of OEM software, some don't.
>Some jurisdictions allow the resale of bundled OEM software as long as it
>hasn't been used.  Read more:

>California:
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23073.html

>Germany:
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/11866.html

>the EU in general:
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25196.html

>Australia:
>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uKFKZLyLCHA.1468%40tkmsftngp13

>James

SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 05:36:20

Park yourself on the msnews.microsoft.com newsservers instead

--
http://www.sbslinks.com/really.htm

SBS2000 Product Key recovery???

Post by Robert S. Clayton I » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 06:13:28

See, you guys ROCK!  Thanks for the news server tip.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:36:20 -0800, "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz -

>Park yourself on the msnews.microsoft.com newsservers instead

>> Actually it is that simple!  But, I may have missoken in an earlier
>> post.  The OEM License which is registered to us has been transfererd
>> to new machines under the original lease by Dell.  Since the OEM is
>> involved and we are the registered owner of both the software and
>> hardware through a single OEM.  Well, no harm, no foul!  The license
>> for the OEM software is being transferred by the OEM to new OEM
>> equipment.

>> Thank God I don't work in California though!

>> Thanks for all the great advice here.  One note to others though...
>> Not all ISP have the smallbiz2000 group available so directing people
>> to that group may not help ... In my case this is the ONLY SBS
>> newsgroup avalable through our ISP.

>> Thanks again,

>> Robert

>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:11:37 +0100, "James Reather"

>>>Hang on, it's not as simple as that.

>>>It depends where you are in the world, and what you've done with the OEM
>>>software.  Some jurisdictions allow the sale of OEM software, some don't.
>>>Some jurisdictions allow the resale of bundled OEM software as long as it
>>>hasn't been used.  Read more:

>>>California:
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23073.html

>>>Germany:
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/11866.html

>>>the EU in general:
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25196.html

>>>Australia:
>>>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uKFKZLyLCHA.1468%40tkmsftngp13

>>>James

1. Disaster Recovery Products

Will be installing a sbs2000 system this month.
was going to use the veritas sbs v8.6 product untill i
discovered the disaster recovery option does not work.
does any one know of a product i can use which has a fully
functional disaster recovery option for sbs2000 ?

tia Paul

2. file types

3. Cannot Validate Product Key when installing SQL Server 2000 component on SBS 2003 Premium

4. Starting to go crazy - help me if you can

5. Who do I call at MS to get a Product key for SBS 2003?

6. Automatic login with RIS

7. Product Key Doesn't Work - FP2003

8. Large menus, how to handle?

9. Product key error when u/g from v4.5

10. Missing Product key for Outlook

11. BackOffice Install Fails - "product key is not valid"

12. changing the product key

13. Missing Outlook product key