Can Windows Server 2003 be seperated from "Small Business Server 2

Can Windows Server 2003 be seperated from "Small Business Server 2

Post by SuperGumby [SBS MVP » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:55:33



yes


Quote:> We are upgrading our server and will end up with 2 new servers, a General
> Purpose Server and a Dedicated Database Server.  We purchased two copies
> of
> "Windows Small Business Server2003, Premium Edition" with the idea that we
> could use one copy on the General Purpose Server, and extract just the
> "Windows Server 2003" and "SQL Server 2000" from the other "SBS 2003
> Premium
> Edition" we purchased.  Now we are told that we can't extract what we want
> from the second SBS we purchased, and need to purchase the Windows Server
> 2003 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2003 Seperately.

> Is this true?
> --
> glh

 
 
 

Can Windows Server 2003 be seperated from "Small Business Server 2

Post by glhgl » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:19:06


What are the product codes of the products we need to purchase.  even though
there are only 3 to 4 users of the database, each user is usually addressing
the database through three to five different programs at the same time (i.e.
open at the same time).  Do we need to have Windows Server 2003 enterprise
edition?

if so, what is the product code?
--
glh


> yes



> > We are upgrading our server and will end up with 2 new servers, a General
> > Purpose Server and a Dedicated Database Server.  We purchased two copies
> > of
> > "Windows Small Business Server2003, Premium Edition" with the idea that we
> > could use one copy on the General Purpose Server, and extract just the
> > "Windows Server 2003" and "SQL Server 2000" from the other "SBS 2003
> > Premium
> > Edition" we purchased.  Now we are told that we can't extract what we want
> > from the second SBS we purchased, and need to purchase the Windows Server
> > 2003 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2003 Seperately.

> > Is this true?
> > --
> > glh


 
 
 

Can Windows Server 2003 be seperated from "Small Business Server 2

Post by John Oliver, Jr. [MVP » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:54:33


I would suggest contacting a Microsoft Certified Partner in your area to get
the correct licensing requirements.  Ask the Partner if they are Software
Advisor when calling them.  They can help you with getting the correct
licenses.  This can save you from purchasing the wrong software or licenses
which in this case has already been done by purchasing the second copy of
SBS Premium.

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
Microsoft Certified Partner


> What are the product codes of the products we need to purchase.  even
> though
> there are only 3 to 4 users of the database, each user is usually
> addressing
> the database through three to five different programs at the same time
> (i.e.
> open at the same time).  Do we need to have Windows Server 2003 enterprise
> edition?

> if so, what is the product code?
> --
> glh


>> yes



>> > We are upgrading our server and will end up with 2 new servers, a
>> > General
>> > Purpose Server and a Dedicated Database Server.  We purchased two
>> > copies
>> > of
>> > "Windows Small Business Server2003, Premium Edition" with the idea that
>> > we
>> > could use one copy on the General Purpose Server, and extract just the
>> > "Windows Server 2003" and "SQL Server 2000" from the other "SBS 2003
>> > Premium
>> > Edition" we purchased.  Now we are told that we can't extract what we
>> > want
>> > from the second SBS we purchased, and need to purchase the Windows
>> > Server
>> > 2003 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2003 Seperately.

>> > Is this true?
>> > --
>> > glh

 
 
 

Can Windows Server 2003 be seperated from "Small Business Server 2

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:54:40



>What are the product codes of the two products we need to get?

Windows Server 2003.
SQL Server 2000.

Take your pick on editions to suit your requirements (Standard or
Enterprise).

You won't need Server CALs, since that'd be covered by the SBS CALs. But
you will need SQL Server CALs (one per user), since a separate licence of
SQL Server is *not* covered by the SBS CALs.

Doesn't matter how many times a particular user connects to SQL
simultaneously, they'd only consume 1 CAL (assuming you buy User CALs, and
not Device CALs).

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------
MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

 
 
 

1. Coming Soon: Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1

Hi all,

Check these pages if you want to know more about the upcoming release of SP1
for SBS 2003:

Coming Soon: Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/downloads/sp1/default....

How to install Service Pack 1 for SBS 2003 (available after SBS 2003 SP1 has
been released)
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=236

Ask your questions about 'How to install Service Pack 1 for SBS 2003' in the
forum:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53&forumid=6&postid=...

--
Mari?tte Knap
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's
www.smallbizserver.net
Take part in SBS forum:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53

2. Lightwave 3D 3.5 upgrade for toaster 4000

3. << WEBCAST Deploying and licensing Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003:>>

4. whois and basic DNS

5. Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition RC1 (codename Bobcat) due in June

6. ***The buyer (?)***

7. Small Business Server 2003 - Server keeps going down...

8. NT4 Server to Win 2K Server

9. Small Business Server 2003 Servers

10. Small Business Server 2003 Server Lock

11. Small Business Server 2003 - what's included?

12. Small Business Server 2003