SBS4.5 + SBS2000 + New Server

Post by Rich Lun » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:42:37

I want to migrate an installation of SBS to a new server
and also have plans to upgrade it to SBS2000 at some point.
As I probably will not do both at once as that would be
asking for trouble, anyone got any pointers on the best
sequence to do this in?

Is moving an SBS installation easy? I understand it only
allows one domain controller so will I be able to setup a
second in parallel before moving apps+data?

I take it that moving Exchange is possible?

TIA,

Rich

SBS4.5 + SBS2000 + New Server

Post by SBS-MV » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 23:24:04

Actually you might consider doing both at once as the procedure is very well outlined:

SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 1 of 2) (Q278439)

SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 2 of 2) (Q290603)

--
Cris Hanna (SBS - MVP)
Please only repond to the NG and not to my email so that all may benefit from the information

  I want to migrate an installation of SBS to a new server
  and also have plans to upgrade it to SBS2000 at some point.
  As I probably will not do both at once as that would be
  asking for trouble, anyone got any pointers on the best
  sequence to do this in?

  Is moving an SBS installation easy? I understand it only
  allows one domain controller so will I be able to setup a
  second in parallel before moving apps+data?

  I take it that moving Exchange is possible?

  TIA,

  Rich

1. SBS4.5 to SBS2000 Upgrade using a new server

I've just been looking through these and Microsoft
knowledge base articles looking to see if anyone has a
best practive methodology for migrating Exchange data over
from an existing SBS4.5 server to a new SBS2000 one. The
biggest issue I'm trying to get resolved is the Exchange
data.

I'm aware of a product MS provides called EXMERGE that
will export/re-import all of the users mailboxes, but
wondered if I could insert the new Server into the
existing NT4 Domain and therefore pull all the users/sids
etc over to the WIN2K server/active directory? Could you
then install SBS/Exchange 2000 and do an offline restore
of the Information store? Anyone been through this same
process?

2. Need a Font Editor that can ...

3. SBS4.5 to SBS2000 upgrade on new machine

4. Can't Load an OCX file

5. Migrate from NT4 server to new server w/sbs2000

6. FS: Sparc IPX w/PowerUP

7. Disabling authentication for an old SBS4.5 server in a SBS2000 domain.

8. Internet Connection for ppc2002

9. Yet another "moving sbs4.5 to new server" question

10. SBS4.5 to new server

11. sbs4.5 to sbs 2000 upgrade onto new server.

12. Setup up new SBS2K server while keep old SBS4.5 running?

13. SBS2000 migration onto new server