Harmful Files - How to prevent

Post by Mirosla » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 07:23:19

We have Anti Virus (server) on SBS2K. However, some files
are not scanned and the client receives the .exe
attachment. Not all machines will receive the attachment,
but some do. Clients use machines with win9x, win2k, winMe.

How do we stop all clients from receiving potentially
unsafe mail such as .exe .vbs etc etc

Please help.

Post by Jame » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:51:34

> We have Anti Virus (server) on SBS2K. However, some files
> are not scanned and the client receives the .exe
> attachment. Not all machines will receive the attachment,
> but some do. Clients use machines with win9x, win2k, winMe.

> How do we stop all clients from receiving potentially
> unsafe mail such as .exe .vbs etc etc

What mail reader are you using?  If you are using Outlook 2000 then apply the latest updates and it will automatically
block .exe attachments for you.  You can also configure additional file types to be blocked if you wish.  These KB
articles might help:

Outlook E-mail Attachment Security Update (Q235309)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q235/3/09.ASP

OL2000: Attachment Security Features Included in Service Release 1/1a (Q259228)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q259/2/28.ASP

XCLN: How to Modify the Behavior of the Attachment Security Warning in Outlook 2000 SR-1 (Q259514)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q259/5/14.ASP

James

1. Prevent files from being copied

I am investigating how we can have files in a particular folder that I want
users to be able to open and view but not be able to rename, copy to another
location, or delete the files.  The big concern is that I don't want people
to be able to email them out of the office but they need to be able to
atleast view the files.  I have tried setting up security on the folder but
when I got the settings that they couldn't copy the file to anywhere else
they couldn't open the file to view it.  Is there software that is better
suited for this purpose or can I do it with SBS2000?

Thanks for any comments,
Jason Stevens

2. Network designs anyone?

3. Missing .DLL File Prevents Client Setup App From Running

4. Caps Lock

5. How to prevent SMSInstaller V2.0.69 from replacing newer Files

6. Tektronix 4692 color printer

7. Preventing file types from being written to disk

8. Knuth - Art of Comp Programming - which Volume to buy?

9. NT4 Client prevent/audit deletion of files?

10. NT Security - Preventing Files from being deleted

11. Prevent permant file deletion

12. keeping file permissions when transferring files from NTFS to Linux file system

13. Need to retain file on file system after File receive function picks it up