Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Andrew Vask » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:30:22

We purchased SBS4.5 early last year (2000) and I have heard that there is a
free upgrade to SBS2000 for those who purchased in a certain date range.

Anyone know where I can find details on this and how to get my free upgrade
if I qualify???

Many Thanks

Andrew

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Steve Foste » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:29:27

http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/productinfo/techguarantee.htm

It sounds like you qualify. But you only have until 30 april.

Steve Foster

Quote:> We purchased SBS4.5 early last year (2000) and I have heard that there is
> free upgrade to SBS2000 for those who purchased in a certain date range.

> Anyone know where I can find details on this and how to get my free
upgrade
> if I qualify???

> Many Thanks

> Andrew

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by David Thursb » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:16:05

The free upgrade is just that, remember the free upgrade for SBS 4.0 to 4.5.
More than one of our sites went belly up on that one.  It is not a ground up
build - good ole Bill Gates.

Dave Thursby

> http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/productinfo/techguarantee.htm

> It sounds like you qualify. But you only have until 30 april.

> Steve Foster

> > We purchased SBS4.5 early last year (2000) and I have heard that there
is
> > free upgrade to SBS2000 for those who purchased in a certain date range.

> > Anyone know where I can find details on this and how to get my free
> upgrade
> > if I qualify???

> > Many Thanks

> > Andrew

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Steve Teec » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:20:24

The upgrade to SBS2000 is different to the 4.0 to 4.5 Upgrade.

The 2000 upgrade is a FULL PRODUCT, but checks for the existance of SBS4.5.
You can do a clean install of SBS2000, and just insert the SBS4.5 CD1 when
asked for the location of the qualifying product.

--
Regards

Steve Teece
Network Administrator
Arundel Computers

> The free upgrade is just that, remember the free upgrade for SBS 4.0 to
4.5.
> More than one of our sites went belly up on that one.  It is not a ground
up
> build - good ole Bill Gates.

> Dave Thursby

> > http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/productinfo/techguarantee.htm

> > It sounds like you qualify. But you only have until 30 april.

> > Steve Foster

> > > We purchased SBS4.5 early last year (2000) and I have heard that there
> is
> > > free upgrade to SBS2000 for those who purchased in a certain date
range.

> > > Anyone know where I can find details on this and how to get my free
> > upgrade
> > > if I qualify???

> > > Many Thanks

> > > Andrew

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Steve Foste » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 02:26:42

Nope. MS finally saw the light. You can do a clean install with 2000, just
waving the 4.5 cd in its' general direction (to misquote Python).

Steve Foster

> The free upgrade is just that, remember the free upgrade for SBS 4.0 to
4.5.
> More than one of our sites went belly up on that one.  It is not a ground
up
> build - good ole Bill Gates.

> Dave Thursby

> > http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/productinfo/techguarantee.htm

> > It sounds like you qualify. But you only have until 30 april.

> > Steve Foster

> > > We purchased SBS4.5 early last year (2000) and I have heard that there
> is
> > > free upgrade to SBS2000 for those who purchased in a certain date
range.

> > > Anyone know where I can find details on this and how to get my free
> > upgrade
> > > if I qualify???

> > > Many Thanks

> > > Andrew

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Anthony Steve » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 06:34:50

Aaaaaaack!!!

When I bought the server from Dell (Oct. 2000), SBS 4.5 came with it.  No
one knew when SBS2K would be released.  There's nothing on the "Free
Upgrade..." notice that says anything about a time limit on the upgrade.
That link is dead, so you may be right.  If this is true, I'm going to be
very unhappy.

Quote:> http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/productinfo/techguarantee.htm

> It sounds like you qualify. But you only have until 30 april.

> Steve Foster

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS MVP » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:38:30

This is an issue very dear to my frustrations.  Unfortunately, you have
correct information that the MS upgrade offer included not only a start
date, but an end date.  This issue got me in previous releases of other MS
products and proved quite embarrassing and frustrating.

I took up a direct conversation with the SBS product director on this very
topic last year.  I suggested that I thought it reflected poorly on MS that
they would announce a free upgrade program but not make extremely clear on
the front end that the offer would have a limited claim time.

MS followed an approach they have in the past, which is to announce a "free
upgrade" well in advance, without making clear that there is a time limit to
claim the discount. In this instance, I watched the SBS website and within a
week or so of the SBS 2K product announcement, MS announced not only the
release date, but the dates of the upgrade.  I still believe that Ms would
be better served to either (a) allow users to register for upgrades in
advance (as you buy them), or the "free upgrade period" should be identified
in advance to be a "45 days from product ship opportunity only!".

If you knew to look for this information, MS had it available on the
website.  I tried very hard to post in the NG as the upgrade periods were
expiring. I feel for you if you missed it.

BTW, this is not an SBS quirk. This is consistent with all MS product
upgrades.

> Aaaaaaack!!!

> When I bought the server from Dell (Oct. 2000), SBS 4.5 came with it.  No
> one knew when SBS2K would be released.  There's nothing on the "Free
> Upgrade..." notice that says anything about a time limit on the upgrade.
> That link is dead, so you may be right.  If this is true, I'm going to be
> very unhappy.

> > http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/productinfo/techguarantee.htm

> > It sounds like you qualify. But you only have until 30 april.

> > Steve Foster

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Reggi » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 03:31:49

I seem to remember a posting that Dell customers were extended another month
to May 25, 2001 for SBS upgrades.  Although its June, another posting I read
said that Dell actually honored the upgrade (from SBS 4.0 to SBS 4.5)
because Microsoft did not honor any requests after the deadline.  I suggest
to check with Dell on that issue.

Reggie

>This is an issue very dear to my frustrations.  Unfortunately, you have
>correct information that the MS upgrade offer included not only a start
>date, but an end date.  This issue got me in previous releases of other MS
>products and proved quite embarrassing and frustrating.

>I took up a direct conversation with the SBS product director on this very
>topic last year.  I suggested that I thought it reflected poorly on MS that
>they would announce a free upgrade program but not make extremely clear on
>the front end that the offer would have a limited claim time.

>MS followed an approach they have in the past, which is to announce a "free
>upgrade" well in advance, without making clear that there is a time limit
>claim the discount. In this instance, I watched the SBS website and within
>week or so of the SBS 2K product announcement, MS announced not only the
>release date, but the dates of the upgrade.  I still believe that Ms would
>be better served to either (a) allow users to register for upgrades in
>advance (as you buy them), or the "free upgrade period" should be
identified
>in advance to be a "45 days from product ship opportunity only!".

>If you knew to look for this information, MS had it available on the
>website.  I tried very hard to post in the NG as the upgrade periods were
>expiring. I feel for you if you missed it.

>BTW, this is not an SBS quirk. This is consistent with all MS product
>upgrades.

>> Aaaaaaack!!!

>> When I bought the server from Dell (Oct. 2000), SBS 4.5 came with it.  No
>> one knew when SBS2K would be released.  There's nothing on the "Free
>> Upgrade..." notice that says anything about a time limit on the upgrade.
>> That link is dead, so you may be right.  If this is true, I'm going to be
>> very unhappy.

>> > http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/productinfo/techguarantee.htm

>> > It sounds like you qualify. But you only have until 30 april.

>> > Steve Foster

Free Upgrade 4.5 to 2000SBS??

Post by Anthony Steve » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:03:06

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.  I have already sent Dell a message and
I'm awaiting their reply.  We'll see.

1. Free SBS 4.5 upgrade to come?

Anyone who hasn't seen this, should have a look at...

http://www.microsoft.com/directaccess/sbsbeta/

Apparantely, we're all going to be getting a free upgrade to SBS 4.5. I
think I might save this page as evidence for when the say, "Sorry, North
America only".

Has anyone tried out the beta version?

Dave

2. Network Cabling Contractor

3. SBS 4.5 to SBS 2K Free Upgrade

4. Astra 600S & Win98 (part two)

5. Free upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000?

6. Inventory

7. Is Office 200 free in SBS 4.5 upgrade?

8. PROBLEM WITH HARDWARE INVENTORY

9. FREE!!!! OFFICIAL UPGRADE TO SBS 4.5

10. SBS 4 upgrade to 4.5 free or not?

11. SBS Free upgrade 4.0 to 4.5

12. SBS 4.5 Upgrade in Netherlands for free?

13. 4.5 upgrade and freeing hard drive space