Migrating / Upgrading Entire Office - Advice sought

Migrating / Upgrading Entire Office - Advice sought

Post by Michael » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:48:38

Hi,

We are a small office running a single domain on SBS 4.5 with 25 users.
I'm getting ready to upgrade the entire office to Win2000.  We've already
purchased a new server and SBS 2000 (not installed or online yet).  Half of
the office will get new computers, the other half will get existing machines
upgraded to Win2000 from NT4.   Most the machines running right now are 98
and  NT 4.  We already have a few Win2000 workstations running.

My question is related more to planning and  implementaion rather than
technical.   What is the best method to accomplish this and does anyone have
any suggestions for good resources that discuss preferred upgrade steps?

The major questions is:
Order of Implemention?  Bring the server online first or the workstations?
Or all at the same time?  I'm thinking that since we already have a few
Win2K workstations online, we should bring them all up, and then do the
server next.  I'm going to follow the MS whitepaper on migrating the server.

Any advice is welcome,
Thanks,
Michael

Migrating / Upgrading Entire Office - Advice sought

Post by Bill Walke » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 02:13:20

Basically we are going through this right now.  We have 30
users running a mix of Win 98 and Win ME with some Win 2K
Pro.  We have a temporary new server that we will migrate
over to while we physically upgrade our original NT SBS
4.5 Dell server.

Started by using the SBS2000 CD and installing Win 2K
Server on the new machine.  Brought the new system (using
a different hostname than the server we are replacing)
into the current network (without AD active of course) and
did not join the domain.  Copied all necessary data files
and ExMerged the mailboxes from the SBS 4.5 server to the
new server into a temporary directory.  Took the new
SBS2000 server off the network, renamed it to the original
server hostname that we are replacing and installed
SBS2000 with all the components we use.

Now the new SBS2000 machine is set up with the same server
name and IP settings as the old SBS 4.5 server and has SBS
2000 installed as well at this point.  We used ExMerge
from the SBS 2000 CD and merged the copied mailboxed
(.pst) from the original server into the new 2000 Exchange
on the SBS2000 server.  This went very smoothly.  The
users shared data was copied into the appropriate folders
as well.  We are not currently using SQl so this was not
an issue.

I took our old SBS 4.5 server offline nad connected the
new SBS 2000 server in it's place with both NICs being
used - one for local LAN and the other to our DSL.  It was
a beautiful site.  The server was able to connect to the
internet and server it's proxy function for my connected
test workstation as well as send and receive mail.

Basicall I just followed the white papers for migration
that I am sure you have in your posession which can be
obtained at:

http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/techinfo/deployment/2000/
MigrationUp_wp.asp

Good luck,

Bill

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>We are a small office running a single domain on SBS 4.5
with 25 users.
>I'm getting ready to upgrade the entire office to

Win2000.  We've already
Quote:>purchased a new server and SBS 2000 (not installed or

online yet).  Half of
Quote:>the office will get new computers, the other half will

get existing machines
Quote:>upgraded to Win2000 from NT4.   Most the machines running
right now are 98
>and  NT 4.  We already have a few Win2000 workstations
running.

>My question is related more to planning and

implementaion rather than
Quote:>technical.   What is the best method to accomplish this

and does anyone have
Quote:>any suggestions for good resources that discuss preferred
upgrade steps?

>The major questions is:
>Order of Implemention?  Bring the server online first or
the workstations?
>Or all at the same time?  I'm thinking that since we
already have a few
>Win2K workstations online, we should bring them all up,
and then do the
>server next.  I'm going to follow the MS whitepaper on

migrating the server.
Quote:

>Any advice is welcome,
>Thanks,
>Michael

>.

Migrating / Upgrading Entire Office - Advice sought

Post by Jame » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:14:11

Quote:> We are a small office running a single domain on SBS 4.5 with 25 users.
> I'm getting ready to upgrade the entire office to Win2000.  We've already
> purchased a new server and SBS 2000 (not installed or online yet).  Half
of
> the office will get new computers, the other half will get existing
machines
> upgraded to Win2000 from NT4.   Most the machines running right now are 98
> and  NT 4.  We already have a few Win2000 workstations running.

Make sure your older PCs have a decent spec. for running Windows 2000.  I
found that many users noticed and complained that Win2000 runs slower than
NT4 (and especially 98) on identical hardware - just though I'd warn you!
After we'd upgraded all client PCs from NT4 to W2k, we had to do another
(unscheduled) round of RAM upgrades, and even then we ended up downgrading a
handful back to NT4 as the performance was unacceptable.

James

Migrating / Upgrading Entire Office - Advice sought

Post by Michael » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:53:33

Thanks for the advice guys.
Michael

Quote:> Hi,

> We are a small office running a single domain on SBS 4.5 with 25 users.
> I'm getting ready to upgrade the entire office to Win2000.  We've already
> purchased a new server and SBS 2000 (not installed or online yet).  Half
of
> the office will get new computers, the other half will get existing
machines
> upgraded to Win2000 from NT4.   Most the machines running right now are 98
> and  NT 4.  We already have a few Win2000 workstations running.

> My question is related more to planning and  implementaion rather than
> technical.   What is the best method to accomplish this and does anyone
have
> any suggestions for good resources that discuss preferred upgrade steps?

> The major questions is:
> Order of Implemention?  Bring the server online first or the workstations?
> Or all at the same time?  I'm thinking that since we already have a few
> Win2K workstations online, we should bring them all up, and then do the
> server next.  I'm going to follow the MS whitepaper on migrating the
server.

> Any advice is welcome,
> Thanks,
> Michael

1. Migrating / Upgrading entire office to 2000 - Advice?

[...]

2. ntds.dit file

3. Advice sought: Migrating SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on a different machine

4. Indigo2 2nd ethernet card

5. seeking advice - agree or disagree?

6. CDRWIN - set block length failure

7. seeking real world advice...

8. Does xmlhttp supports https connection?

9. Seeking advice on th Killer Machine

10. seeking advice on how to proceed expanding a network

11. To SBS or not - advice sought

12. Advice sought for Teach Myself SBS

13. Advice sought for UK ISP for VPN