SBS2003 Missing Installation Media

Post by Dave » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:35:01

I have a prospective customer for SBS2003 maintenance and support who wishes
to change from his existing maintainer who also built and installed the
system - with SBS2003 Standard OEM.

I advised the customer to ensure the installation disks were kept but on
their asking the maintainer for them was told they were unavailable and not
needed anyway.

(Backup tapes are made but if there were a system crash there is no
restoration operating system available to run them.)

As I understand it it is not obligatory for the builder to provide media,
unless agreed in the sale contract, but it seems poor practice particularly
since no restoration image was made of the system.

If I proceed without the media the following questions come to mind: -

In the event of OS problems could I run a Windows OS repair using other
SBS2003 media eg I made a bootable version of the Technet Plus copy?

The Server has a SBS COA with product key on its side.  In the event of a
disaster could I do a re-installation with different media and then switch to
this Key?

My initial plan is to stick in another HDD, copy the OS partition to it and
also make a Ghost image of it on DVD.

It seems almost unnecessary to add that the whole of the system is based on
one HDD with only one partition ie no RAID, no separation of OS, data, and
database, and no restore partition.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
--
DaveM

SBS2003 Missing Installation Media

Post by Duncan Mc » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:02:17

Quote:> I have a prospective customer for SBS2003 maintenance and support who wishes
> to change from his existing maintainer who also built and installed the
> system - with SBS2003 Standard OEM.

> I advised the customer to ensure the installation disks were kept but on
> their asking the maintainer for them was told they were unavailable and not
> needed anyway.

> (Backup tapes are made but if there were a system crash there is no
> restoration operating system available to run them.)

> As I understand it it is not obligatory for the builder to provide media,
> unless agreed in the sale contract, but it seems poor practice particularly
> since no restoration image was made of the system.

> If I proceed without the media the following questions come to mind: -

> In the event of OS problems could I run a Windows OS repair using other
> SBS2003 media eg I made a bootable version of the Technet Plus copy?

> The Server has a SBS COA with product key on its side.  In the event of a
> disaster could I do a re-installation with different media and then switch to
> this Key?

> My initial plan is to stick in another HDD, copy the OS partition to it and
> also make a Ghost image of it on DVD.

> It seems almost unnecessary to add that the whole of the system is based on
> one HDD with only one partition ie no RAID, no separation of OS, data, and
> database, and no restore partition.

> Your advice would be appreciated.

What about imaging the system, and restoring upon failure - making some
changes, re-imaging (keep the original image of course), and trying
again, etc etc.

I have sucessfully used Paragon Drive Image Server and Acronis TrueImage
- both have some nice features too.

--
Duncan

SBS2003 Missing Installation Media

Post by PMC » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:40:01

When you write:  "As I understand it it is not obligatory for the builder to
provide media, unless agreed in the sale contract, but it seems poor practice
particularly
 since no restoration image was made of the system."

you are incorrect. A System Builder MUST supply the media and manual with
his work according to Microsoft rules for OEM.  Perhaps the person lost them,
or is attempting blackmail or is using counterfeit software.  As a start I'd
report them to Microsoft Anti-Piracy.

> I have a prospective customer for SBS2003 maintenance and support who wishes
> to change from his existing maintainer who also built and installed the
> system - with SBS2003 Standard OEM.

> I advised the customer to ensure the installation disks were kept but on
> their asking the maintainer for them was told they were unavailable and not
> needed anyway.

> (Backup tapes are made but if there were a system crash there is no
> restoration operating system available to run them.)

> As I understand it it is not obligatory for the builder to provide media,
> unless agreed in the sale contract, but it seems poor practice particularly
> since no restoration image was made of the system.

> If I proceed without the media the following questions come to mind: -

> In the event of OS problems could I run a Windows OS repair using other
> SBS2003 media eg I made a bootable version of the Technet Plus copy?

> The Server has a SBS COA with product key on its side.  In the event of a
> disaster could I do a re-installation with different media and then switch to
> this Key?

> My initial plan is to stick in another HDD, copy the OS partition to it and
> also make a Ghost image of it on DVD.

> It seems almost unnecessary to add that the whole of the system is based on
> one HDD with only one partition ie no RAID, no separation of OS, data, and
> database, and no restore partition.

> Your advice would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> --
> DaveM

SBS2003 Missing Installation Media

Post by Dave » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 03:12:02

Thank you for the reply.

I phoned Microsoft Licensing support before originating this correspondence
but I was not told that provision of the media was mandatory for server
software.

I have read the rules for desktop software and it looks clear there, but I
dont see it for servers.

But regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, the client company is still
in the position of not having the disks and may never get them.  Before
starting on this work I would like to know what flexibility I have without
them so my two questions remain -

With a different set of installation disks: -

1.  Could I repair the system using recovery console or Automated System
Recovery?

2.  Could I do a reinstallation, switch to the existing product key and then
activate?

I hope this helps clarify things.

--
DaveM

> When you write:  "As I understand it it is not obligatory for the builder to
> provide media, unless agreed in the sale contract, but it seems poor practice
> particularly
>  since no restoration image was made of the system."

> you are incorrect. A System Builder MUST supply the media and manual with
> his work according to Microsoft rules for OEM.  Perhaps the person lost them,
> or is attempting blackmail or is using counterfeit software.  As a start I'd
> report them to Microsoft Anti-Piracy.

> > I have a prospective customer for SBS2003 maintenance and support who wishes
> > to change from his existing maintainer who also built and installed the
> > system - with SBS2003 Standard OEM.

> > I advised the customer to ensure the installation disks were kept but on
> > their asking the maintainer for them was told they were unavailable and not
> > needed anyway.

> > (Backup tapes are made but if there were a system crash there is no
> > restoration operating system available to run them.)

> > As I understand it it is not obligatory for the builder to provide media,
> > unless agreed in the sale contract, but it seems poor practice particularly
> > since no restoration image was made of the system.

> > If I proceed without the media the following questions come to mind: -

> > In the event of OS problems could I run a Windows OS repair using other
> > SBS2003 media eg I made a bootable version of the Technet Plus copy?

> > The Server has a SBS COA with product key on its side.  In the event of a
> > disaster could I do a re-installation with different media and then switch to
> > this Key?

> > My initial plan is to stick in another HDD, copy the OS partition to it and
> > also make a Ghost image of it on DVD.

> > It seems almost unnecessary to add that the whole of the system is based on
> > one HDD with only one partition ie no RAID, no separation of OS, data, and
> > database, and no restore partition.

> > Your advice would be appreciated.

> > Thanks
> > --
> > DaveM

SBS2003 Missing Installation Media

Post by PMC » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 06:26:01

Dave,

The question really is: what disks were used? A COA is typically matched to
a form of product, and I have reason to believe that the disks for OEM,
Select, Enterprise and retail use different product codes.

I suspect that the media used was from the Microsoft Action Pack or a
corporate distribution so the COA attached to the box and the installed
software may not match. The COA may have been purchased third-party or
counterfeited. Since it has a COA it is probably not retail; no such thing
there from my experience.

Disks used must match the installation product code.

> [...]

> > > As I understand it it is not obligatory for the builder to provide media,
> > > unless agreed in the sale contract, but it seems poor practice particularly
> > > since no restoration image was made of the system.

> > > If I proceed without the media the following questions come to mind: -

> > > In the event of OS problems could I run a Windows OS repair using other
> > > SBS2003 media eg I made a bootable version of the Technet Plus copy?

> > > The Server has a SBS COA with product key on its side.  In the event of a
> > > disaster could I do a re-installation with different media and then switch to
> > > this Key?

> > > My initial plan is to stick in another HDD, copy the OS partition to it and
> > > also make a Ghost image of it on DVD.

> > > It seems almost unnecessary to add that the whole of the system is based on
> > > one HDD with only one partition ie no RAID, no separation of OS, data, and

1. Installation Guide on Media or Website?

I have the Upgrade Advantage version of SBS 2000.  This included the media
only and did not come with any manuals, etc...   While reading many of the
deployment and migration guides, I have seen many references to the SBS
Planning and Installation Guide.  I have looked and have found many
deployment guides online, but not this specific one.  Does anyone know if
this guide is online or available on the disk?  I have looked at the Small
Business server site, but can't seem to find it, so a direct link would be
very helpful if available.

Thanks,
Michael

2. Canon BJC4000 Treiber

3. Installation package of Windows Media 7.1

4. how to insert an OLE object in the message using VIM?

5. Upgrade from SBS2003 Beta to SBS2003 Final

6. close audio cd session

7. Premium Sql 2000 Installation on a SP1 SBS2003 Fails Confirmed!

8. Problems with Intel iPSC/2?

9. problems in installation SBS2003 Premium

10. Hit and Miss Client installation

11. SMS2003 - Missing Client Installation Methods

12. Missing "ntloader" after SMS installation

13. Folders missing in a new CAP installation