Printer driver upgrade

Post by Julian Barnet » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 00:30:25

On an SBS4.5 network I have a HP Deskjet 880C attached to the servers LPT
port. This is then shared for network use.
This has worked fine for years on W98 clients but I can't install the
printer on a newly added Windows XP pro client.

When the network printer is selected a message saying the driver is
incompatible with XP is displayed. If you install the printer on the client
there is no option to select a network printer only local.

Is there a way to add the XP driver to the printer config on the NT based
server? or is there another work around

--
Thanx

Julian

Printer driver upgrade

Post by Javier Miner » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 02:30:09

Julian

The problem most likely is that there are no drivers for XP in the server.

Your safest bet is to manually add the XP drivers on the XP client, and then
asign it to the proper port (\\server01\printer). Theoretically, you could
add the XP drivers for that specific printer to the server, but I am not too
sure if this would be supported.

GL
Javier

Quote:> On an SBS4.5 network I have a HP Deskjet 880C attached to the servers LPT
> port. This is then shared for network use.
> This has worked fine for years on W98 clients but I can't install the
> printer on a newly added Windows XP pro client.

> When the network printer is selected a message saying the driver is
> incompatible with XP is displayed. If you install the printer on the
client
> there is no option to select a network printer only local.

> Is there a way to add the XP driver to the printer config on the NT based
> server? or is there another work around

> --
> Thanx

> Julian

Printer driver upgrade

Post by Gary Karasi » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 02:52:24

Julian--see Q282642--HOW TO: Install a Printer Driver Locally for a Remote
Printer in Windows XP

GaryK

Quote:> On an SBS4.5 network I have a HP Deskjet 880C attached to the servers LPT
> port. This is then shared for network use.
> This has worked fine for years on W98 clients but I can't install the
> printer on a newly added Windows XP pro client.

> When the network printer is selected a message saying the driver is
> incompatible with XP is displayed. If you install the printer on the
client
> there is no option to select a network printer only local.

> Is there a way to add the XP driver to the printer config on the NT based
> server? or is there another work around

> --
> Thanx

> Julian

Printer driver upgrade

Post by Julian Barnet » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 23:17:41

Thanx for your help lads - I'll give it a shot

Julian

> Julian--see Q282642--HOW TO: Install a Printer Driver Locally for a
> Remote Printer in Windows XP

> GaryK

>> On an SBS4.5 network I have a HP Deskjet 880C attached to the
>> servers LPT port. This is then shared for network use.
>> This has worked fine for years on W98 clients but I can't install the
>> printer on a newly added Windows XP pro client.

>> When the network printer is selected a message saying the driver is
>> incompatible with XP is displayed. If you install the printer on the
>> client there is no option to select a network printer only local.

>> Is there a way to add the XP driver to the printer config on the NT
>> based server? or is there another work around

>> --
>> Thanx

>> Julian

1. Win printer driver name for GhostScript driver

Hi,

I succesfully installed GhostScript 7.0 on Linux 2.4.10 with hpijs0.97
driver for my HP DJ640C and I decided to select the
'Apple Color LaserWriter 12/600' for printing from Windows 2K
with Samba 2.2.0.

Everything seems to work fine except that I get on the end of my printed
documents an additional page with something like: