Can SBS 2000 CALs be used with 4.5 and then used again after upgrade to 2000?

Can SBS 2000 CALs be used with 4.5 and then used again after upgrade to 2000?

Post by Rob Fo » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 04:47:30

I have a SBS 4.5 5 client network.  I want to add 5 CALs.
I may want to upgrade to SBS2000 in the future.  Will I be
able to use the 2000 CAL pack now and again after I
upgrade, or will the licenses only work one time?

Can SBS 2000 CALs be used with 4.5 and then used again after upgrade to 2000?

Post by Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:20:29

It depends on whether you change NICs in the upgrade...if you do you will have to call MS to get the unlock code.

Also be sure to mark the CAL disk whether its taking you from 5 to 10...10 to 15 etc.  They have to be reapplied in the same order

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
------------------------------------

  I have a SBS 4.5 5 client network.  I want to add 5 CALs.
  I may want to upgrade to SBS2000 in the future.  Will I be
  able to use the 2000 CAL pack now and again after I
  upgrade, or will the licenses only work one time?

Can SBS 2000 CALs be used with 4.5 and then used again after upgrade to 2000?

Post by Dave Nickaso » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:33:04

FWIW, never hesitate to call for an unlock code if you have a legitimate reason for doing so.  They don't torture you anymore like they used to in the SBS 4.0 days, they basically just give it to you (I had to call for one a couple of weeks ago).

  It depends on whether you change NICs in the upgrade...if you do you will have to call MS to get the unlock code.

  Also be sure to mark the CAL disk whether its taking you from 5 to 10...10 to 15 etc.  They have to be reapplied in the same order

  --
  Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
  ------------------------------------
  Please DO NOT email me directly.  Please reply to the NG so that all can benefit from the information

    I have a SBS 4.5 5 client network.  I want to add 5 CALs.
    I may want to upgrade to SBS2000 in the future.  Will I be
    able to use the 2000 CAL pack now and again after I
    upgrade, or will the licenses only work one time?

Can SBS 2000 CALs be used with 4.5 and then used again after upgrade to 2000?

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:22:10

Legally, once used on SBS4.5, they are 4.5 CALs. If you upgrade to SBS2000,
you will need to purchase upgrade CALs as well.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Quote:> I have a SBS 4.5 5 client network.  I want to add 5 CALs.