Shared Fax Modem Woes

Post by sgupt » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 08:03:49

Hello everyone troubled with their shared fax modems and
being touted $400 Brooktrout fax boards - thanks to a hint
from Jeff, I was able to solve the issue really cheap and
nice. You may take a hint and get your line tested before
you ask your client to spend money on brooktrout!

Here is a copy of the earlier posts on this subject:

Jeff - thanks for your hint. Although I did not really do
a sophisticated test with any equipment, I feel there is
some voltage issue with the phone line. I added a dumb $5
phone in parallel to the fax modem - and guess what?
Voila - the same fax modem is now receiving faxes from
machines it was rejecting earlier and it is sending them
out too! Good bye - Brooktrout!!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>There are no issue in using a fax line on a line carrying
DSL unless the DSL
>is incorrectly installed. DSL is a digital signal, fax is
an analog signal.
>A DSL signal is split off of the wired pair by a splitter
and what you have
>left is an analog line pair. It's possible that the pair
is reversed,
>essentially the condition of reversed polarity on the
wires...this is a
>simple technician's error. Radio Shack makes polarity

testers that you can
Quote:>plug into the outlet to test it, you could also reverse
the wires and just
>see if it works. Modems and certain telephones that use
digital circuitry
>will fail to operate on a pair with reversed polarity
because the digital
>electronics is protected from even low power conditions
other than correct
>polarity, yet a standard analog phone may work fine on
the same pair, even
>with reversed polarity, it just means the speaker is

pulsing 180 degrees out
>of phase, but you can still hear and speak and it still
dials.

>> SBS2K installation using Shared Fax Service - no modem
>> sharing. Using USR Sportster 33.6 External Fax modem.
>> Subsequent to my earlier post, I did some
troubleshooting
>> and found that the No Dial Tone error on the outbound is
>> when the modem is connected on the same line as the DSL
>> line. If I connect the modem to a regular POTS line, it
>> dials nicely.

>> I tried AT commands giving more time before dial-out,
etc.
>> but still got NO Dial Tone error. Also, tried
installing a
>> line equalizer or something like that the phone company
>> gave us. Any one knows more about how to make a modem
work
>> on DSL phone line?

Shared Fax Modem Woes

Post by Les Connor [SBS MVP » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:27:33

Hi Sandi,

Glad you found the problem, thanks for posting back with the results. Jeff
knows quite a lot about quite a lot.

p.s. I'm a brooktrout user :-).

--
Les Connor
------------------

> Hello everyone troubled with their shared fax modems and
> being touted $400 Brooktrout fax boards - thanks to a hint
> from Jeff, I was able to solve the issue really cheap and
> nice. You may take a hint and get your line tested before
> you ask your client to spend money on brooktrout!

> Here is a copy of the earlier posts on this subject:

> Jeff - thanks for your hint. Although I did not really do
> a sophisticated test with any equipment, I feel there is
> some voltage issue with the phone line. I added a dumb $5
> phone in parallel to the fax modem - and guess what?
> Voila - the same fax modem is now receiving faxes from
> machines it was rejecting earlier and it is sending them
> out too! Good bye - Brooktrout!!

1. Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

Hi there, I have spent most of the morning googling this one but decided to
ask as I didn't get anywhere!

We have an SBS 2000 box with one modem that we are currently using to
receive faxes using Fax Sharing.  Is there any way that the same modem can
be used to dial out using modem sharing?  At the moment whenever the fax
service is in receive mode it locks the port stopping us from dialling out.
I am kind of assuming that the only option will be another modem but I
wanted to ask in case there was some trick I could use.

If we do have to get another modem does anyone know what implications there
are to using a USB modem with the shared modem service?  I ask because the
server only has one COM port.

Thanks,
Richard.

2. how to share cable modem

3. Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

4. legal action against Hp

5. Modem Share doesn't find my fax/ modem now

6. Trying to boot Entria XTerm

7. sbs2000 multiple fax modems and multiple shared fax printers ??

8. 3D Garden Design ALL, Kitchen Design, ARCHITECTURAL, 3D CAD. other 20 gigabytes/week

9. Shared modem service & shared fax service

10. fax modems ISDN for "shared fax"

11. Shared Fax Service & USR 5686-03 Ext Fax Modem

12. SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

13. Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?