want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

Post by Derek Upso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

our office has outlook on every person's computer.  i know that with our NT
small business server, we can set it up so faxes come in directly into our
NT server.  however, i have never been able to figure out how those faxes
will get to the people that they are addressed to.

i want to have different extensions for each employee......similar to
phones.  i know that we can have different extensions for every person in
the office so calls go directly to people's desk instead of first having to
go to an operator.  is it possible to do this with faxes???  we only have
one incoming fax line.  if it is, how do i do it and what technology do i
need.

i would appreciate any help that you can provide.  please email me at

help.

derek

want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

Post by lkj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

not possible for a fax to know who a fax is for until it learns to read and
also knows everyone in the office.

l8tr

> our office has outlook on every person's computer.  i know that with our
NT
> small business server, we can set it up so faxes come in directly into our
> NT server.  however, i have never been able to figure out how those faxes
> will get to the people that they are addressed to.

> i want to have different extensions for each employee......similar to
> phones.  i know that we can have different extensions for every person in
> the office so calls go directly to people's desk instead of first having
> go to an operator.  is it possible to do this with faxes???  we only have
> one incoming fax line.  if it is, how do i do it and what technology do i
> need.

> i would appreciate any help that you can provide.  please email me at

> help.

> derek

want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

Post by RS » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You can have a user receive them all and the forward each one to the correct
recipient. Other than that, if you want extensions in computer use the
email... ;-)

- Robert.

| our office has outlook on every person's computer.  i know that with our
NT
| small business server, we can set it up so faxes come in directly into our
| NT server.  however, i have never been able to figure out how those faxes
| will get to the people that they are addressed to.
|
| i want to have different extensions for each employee......similar to
| phones.  i know that we can have different extensions for every person in
| the office so calls go directly to people's desk instead of first having
| go to an operator.  is it possible to do this with faxes???  we only have
| one incoming fax line.  if it is, how do i do it and what technology do i
| need.
|
| i would appreciate any help that you can provide.  please email me at

| help.
|
| derek

want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

Post by Stephen Kin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The only way to do it is to set up a modem on the server for each person
which in not feasible. Robert's suggestion is the best.

> our office has outlook on every person's computer.  i know that with our
NT
> small business server, we can set it up so faxes come in directly into our
> NT server.  however, i have never been able to figure out how those faxes
> will get to the people that they are addressed to.

> i want to have different extensions for each employee......similar to
> phones.  i know that we can have different extensions for every person in
> the office so calls go directly to people's desk instead of first having
> go to an operator.  is it possible to do this with faxes???  we only have
> one incoming fax line.  if it is, how do i do it and what technology do i
> need.

> i would appreciate any help that you can provide.  please email me at

> help.

> derek

want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

Post by Steve Foste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can't be done with the built-in fax software. However, 3rd part software
can do this. Suggest you look at FaxMaker for Exchange from GFI.
www.gfifax.com

It can route incoming faxes using several tricks. If you have multiple
telephone lines, each one can be directed to a different user. It can
use the sending machine TSID (the bit that goes in the Fax Banner strip)
to decide which user. There's also an OCR module available so that it
can actually read the fax and extract the TO: information...

Steve.

Conversation: want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook
Subject: want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

[...]

your
help.

derek

want to fax directly to people's inboxes/outlook

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

This cannot be done with SBS Fax, but it is a feature that is available with
many full feature fax server products.  There's a catch.  It's not cheap.

A fax is a "dumb" document transmission because it is sent as a raster image
file.  The only things that are intelligent routing information is the CSID
(caller id from the sender info) and the number being sent to.  If either of
those numbers represents a unique routing characteristic, then a product
like Zetafax (or others) can use that consistently to route things.

To truly have a unique fax number for each user, you don't acquire a phone
line for every user, but you do need to have a feature with you service
called Direct Inbound Dialing.  DID works in one of two ways.  Generally it
requires that you have an ISDN line and an ISDN digital fax board.  One way
is for every user to have a unique fax number that is actually routed to the
ISDN line.  Another way, is for each user to have a fax extension whereby a
common fax number is used, but the sender must add 3-4 digits to their
dialing information which follow the fax number.  This "training the sender"
problem is a bit odd, trying to convince them to send you a fax by dialing
more than the standard number of digits.

You can find out more about DID and fax routing by either going to
www.dialogic.com , www.brooktrout.com , or www.equisys.com ,
www.artisoft.com (follow the telephony links).