Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

Post by Tom Wasse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We have 2 USR external modems on our SBS.  The modem sharing pool
contains both modems.  We are also use Proxy Server to dial into our
ISP.

Both work fine as long on the other is not using a modem.  In other
words, Modem sharing will use COM1 modem to dial out, and then the
second client that requests modem get COM2 and all works fine.

Proxy server automatically uses DUN entry and dial outs using COM1 when
a user requestes a internet page.

When proxy is connected using COM1, then if another user tries to use a
shared modem the request fails, because modem sharing appears to be
trying to use COM1.

How can we make modem sharing automatcially use COM2 if Proxy is using
COM1?

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

Post by Exchan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sad to say that this doesn't work for me.  Modem sharing and Proxy (via
RAS) both connect to the physical port in different ways.  Proxy (via
RAS) uses TAPI and Modem sharing goes direct to the port.  The feature
that you want where an app will be smart and roll over to the next port
only works if that app has the first port.  otherwise the second app
that shows up looking for a com port thinks there is a hardware error
VS. a line in use and bails.  Sam problem with FAX and proxy.  IMC and
proxy work together because they are both using tapi so they will share
the sam phonebook entry.
Posted At: Tuesday, August 18, 1998 10:44 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
Conversation: Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?
Subject: Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

We have 2 USR external modems on our SBS.  The modem sharing pool
contains both modems.  We are also use Proxy Server to dial into our
ISP.

Both work fine as long on the other is not using a modem.  In other
words, Modem sharing will use COM1 modem to dial out, and then the
second client that requests modem get COM2 and all works fine.

Proxy server automatically uses DUN entry and dial outs using COM1 when
a user requestes a internet page.

When proxy is connected using COM1, then if another user tries to use a
shared modem the request fails, because modem sharing appears to be
trying to use COM1.

How can we make modem sharing automatcially use COM2 if Proxy is using
COM1?

Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

Post by Tom Wasse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Has anyone tried installing modem sharing client on the SBS server?  Can
this be done, then have Proxy used the shared modem pol through modem
sharing client?

> Sad to say that this doesn't work for me.  Modem sharing and Proxy (via
> RAS) both connect to the physical port in different ways.  Proxy (via
> RAS) uses TAPI and Modem sharing goes direct to the port.  The feature
> that you want where an app will be smart and roll over to the next port
> only works if that app has the first port.  otherwise the second app
> that shows up looking for a com port thinks there is a hardware error
> VS. a line in use and bails.  Sam problem with FAX and proxy.  IMC and
> proxy work together because they are both using tapi so they will share
> the sam phonebook entry.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

1. SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

I'm running SBS 4.0a and have configured a couple of users to use a shared
modem to dial out for their Internet Access using their personal accounts.
Appears to connect fine: DUN window comes up and connects to their ISP.
However, when I watch them connect, the shared modem lights up, connects,
etc.  Then the server dials out to our ISP, connects and then handles the
access to the internet.  If I kill the shared modem connection the user can
keep on running without any problems.  The DUN connection is still showing
on users screen with the only note being in the shared modem status window.
I've set the internet options in IE to modem access, verified that it is not
checked off in the Use Proxy box,  run the connection wizard with new dialup
info, etc.

This is a real problem as this uses both my lines and blocks incoming faxes.
Plus our ISP has charges for additional hours that equated to an additional
$300 last month.

2. Pronews/2 v1.51 build ib110 now available

3. Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

4. Desperate NEWBIE needs help!!!

5. Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

6. SSH works but SFTP not

7. Modem Sharing: Modem pools not visible on client ports

8. Any Fontographer books?

9. Shared Modem - modem not functional on client pc

10. Modem Sharing: Can't access server modem from Client

11. Modem sharing 4 modem limit?

12. Modem Share doesn't find my fax/ modem now

13. Modems and Modem Sharing Service