Simultaneous use of SBS 2000 and SBS 4.5 by different companies on one wiring system

Simultaneous use of SBS 2000 and SBS 4.5 by different companies on one wiring system

Post by Leo Belardinell » Thu, 29 May 2003 13:54:10

I have an office building I am renting out. Originally it was rented to one
larger company (they wired it their way) that has since relocated so now I
am renting the building to 3 smaller companies. One uses SBS 4.5 (Still)
that I set up with 10 clients. The other wants to use SBS 2000 with about 20
clients. Both have their own printers etc.
The problem is the building was originally wired for ONE company. Now each
of the companies want their own server and system. I don't want to redo the
wiring (a big mess) if I dont have to. Right now, the one company has access
to the wiring closet and has their router there and Internet access. If they
were to share the router (which is also the DHCP server, and a hardware
firewall which is required by the first companies main client), could both
copies of SBS exist on the same Ethernet system, but the clients will logon
to their own servers and security will separate their systems????  Neither
has their own web site so IIS is not used. SQL server and the operating
system will be the issue.

Simultaneous use of SBS 2000 and SBS 4.5 by different companies on one wiring system

Post by Craig Pfa » Thu, 29 May 2003 22:21:10

Go into the wiring closet and seperate the each companies LAN with theiur
own hub/switch/routers.  This is normally how it would be done.

The external nics on the server could share the internet connection.  The
wiring wouldn't have to be changed in the building, just connect the drops
to their own hub/switch.

Just seperate them out.

Craig P.

Quote:

> I have an office building I am renting out. Originally it was rented to
one
> larger company (they wired it their way) that has since relocated so now I
> am renting the building to 3 smaller companies. One uses SBS 4.5 (Still)
> that I set up with 10 clients. The other wants to use SBS 2000 with about
20
> clients. Both have their own printers etc.
> The problem is the building was originally wired for ONE company. Now each
> of the companies want their own server and system. I don't want to redo
the
> wiring (a big mess) if I dont have to. Right now, the one company has
access
> to the wiring closet and has their router there and Internet access. If
they
> were to share the router (which is also the DHCP server, and a hardware
> firewall which is required by the first companies main client), could both
> copies of SBS exist on the same Ethernet system, but the clients will
logon
> to their own servers and security will separate their systems????  Neither
> has their own web site so IIS is not used. SQL server and the operating
> system will be the issue.

Simultaneous use of SBS 2000 and SBS 4.5 by different companies on one wiring system

Post by Merv Porte » Thu, 29 May 2003 22:33:09

Hi Leo:

Two separate networks can coexist on the same physical wiring.  Since SBS is
involved, they need to be isolated from each other to prevent the SBS DHCP
server service from shutting (if that's used by one or both SBS servers).  I
suspect the company running the router that's presently acting as a DHCP
server will not want to change their setup.  So, I'd recommend that the new
company deploy their SBS with the standard 2 NICs and a router.  Then add a
3rd router that hooks directly to the broadband modem; the routers for the
two companies would each connect into this common router for Internet
access.  This should isolate the networks from each other and give each
company the freedom to make internal LAN changes as necessary.  This setup
may also address any HIPAA requirements and restrictions.  I'd probably go
one step farther and use separate switches for each network LAN and color
code the wiring for each network at the wiring closet to make it easier to
tell who owns what.

With a little more thought, I'm sure this could also be done with only two
routers.

Another thing to consider is the load on the network.  If one or both of
these companies is working with CAD or large graphics files (either over the
web or on the local networks), sharing the wiring may reduce the performance
by causing traffic jams.

--
Merv  Porter  [SBS MVP]
===================================

Quote:

> I have an office building I am renting out. Originally it was rented to
one
> larger company (they wired it their way) that has since relocated so now I
> am renting the building to 3 smaller companies. One uses SBS 4.5 (Still)
> that I set up with 10 clients. The other wants to use SBS 2000 with about
20
> clients. Both have their own printers etc.
> The problem is the building was originally wired for ONE company. Now each
> of the companies want their own server and system. I don't want to redo
the
> wiring (a big mess) if I dont have to. Right now, the one company has
access
> to the wiring closet and has their router there and Internet access. If
they
> were to share the router (which is also the DHCP server, and a hardware
> firewall which is required by the first companies main client), could both
> copies of SBS exist on the same Ethernet system, but the clients will
logon
> to their own servers and security will separate their systems????  Neither
> has their own web site so IIS is not used. SQL server and the operating
> system will be the issue.

Simultaneous use of SBS 2000 and SBS 4.5 by different companies on one wiring system

Post by Andrew » Thu, 29 May 2003 22:49:52

Turn off DHCP on one of the servers, put that server and the workstations
associated with it on manually assigned IP addresses in a different subnet
to the other server, and that will work just fine.

Quote:

> I have an office building I am renting out. Originally it was rented to
one
> larger company (they wired it their way) that has since relocated so now I
> am renting the building to 3 smaller companies. One uses SBS 4.5 (Still)
> that I set up with 10 clients. The other wants to use SBS 2000 with about
20
> clients. Both have their own printers etc.
> The problem is the building was originally wired for ONE company. Now each
> of the companies want their own server and system. I don't want to redo
the
> wiring (a big mess) if I dont have to. Right now, the one company has
access
> to the wiring closet and has their router there and Internet access. If
they
> were to share the router (which is also the DHCP server, and a hardware
> firewall which is required by the first companies main client), could both
> copies of SBS exist on the same Ethernet system, but the clients will
logon
> to their own servers and security will separate their systems????  Neither
> has their own web site so IIS is not used. SQL server and the operating
> system will be the issue.

1. Simultaneous use of SBS 2000 and SBS 4.5

I have an office building I am renting out. Originally it was rented to one
larger company (they wired it their way) that has since relocated so now I
am renting the building to 3 smaller companies. One uses SBS 4.5 (Still)
that I set up with 10 clients. The other wants to use SBS 2000 with about 20
clients. Both have their own printers. The problem is the building was
originally wired for ONE company. Now each of the companies want their own
server and system. I don't want to redo the wiring (a big mess). Right now,
the one company has access to the wiring closet and has their router there
and Internet access. If they were to share the router (which is also the
DHCP server, and a hardware firewall which is required by the first
companies main client), could both copies of SBS exist on the same Ethernet
system, but the clients will logon to their own servers and security will
separate their systems????  Neither has their own web site so IIS is not
used. SQL server and the operating system will be the issue.

2. NT4.0 and Samba

3. NFS (& TCP/IP) for WARP?

4. Can SBS 2000 CALs be used with 4.5 and then used again after upgrade to 2000?

5. Copy file from/to iPAQ by using 1 command line

6. Different companies on one SBS

7. refill kits

8. Advice sought: Migrating SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on a different machine

9. SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

10. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

11. 2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

12. SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003 (via SBS 2000 perhaps !)