Is it possible to upgrade from a simple Windows 2000 server to SBS 2000 ?

Is it possible to upgrade from a simple Windows 2000 server to SBS 2000 ?

Post by André Séjourne » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:44:02

Hello,

I have a Windows 2000 Server which hosts several Windows applications. I 'd
like to upgrade this server to SBS 2000 Server. Is there any way to do it
without to have to re-install others applications ?

Thanks in advance.

Andr.

Is it possible to upgrade from a simple Windows 2000 server to SBS 2000 ?

Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:58:58

is it part of a domain or a workgroup?

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Please DO NOT email me directly but respond only in the newsgroup so that all can benefit.

  Hello,

  I have a Windows 2000 Server which hosts several Windows applications. I 'd
  like to upgrade this server to SBS 2000 Server. Is there any way to do it
  without to have to re-install others applications ?

  Thanks in advance.

  Andr.

Is it possible to upgrade from a simple Windows 2000 server to SBS 2000 ?

Post by André Séjourne » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 01:30:32

It is a part from a domain as a controller. There are two Windows Server 2000 controllers on the Network.

(PS: sorry for posting twice this question, I was unable to see it the first time I 've tried.)

  is it part of a domain or a workgroup?

  --
  Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
  Please DO NOT email me directly but respond only in the newsgroup so that all can benefit.

    Hello,

    I have a Windows 2000 Server which hosts several Windows applications. I 'd
    like to upgrade this server to SBS 2000 Server. Is there any way to do it
    without to have to re-install others applications ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Andr.

Is it possible to upgrade from a simple Windows 2000 server to SBS 2000 ?

Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:49:49

SBS 2000 must be the first server in the root of the domain so unless you are willing to move this server up the chain, so-to-speak, the answer to your question is no

--
[...]

Post by André Séjourne » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:08:45

If it is possible to promote this server as the first, it is not a problem. But is it possible ?

Regards.

Andr.