4.5 => 2000 Upgrade

Post by WantTheTrut » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:42:06

Hi,

We already have SBS 4.5..... I am looking to purchase a new server and
install SBS 2000 on it; is there any reason why I should not install SBS 4.5
on the new server and then buy the upgrade?  Would I have to completely
install SBS 4.5 in order to upgrade, or is it good enough just to have the
SBS 4.5 discs to hand during the install?

When is the release date for the next version of SBS... should I just hold
fire for now?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

WTT

4.5 => 2000 Upgrade

Post by serg » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:45:15

No, you definitely don't need to install SBS 4.5

During the installation, you'll get prompted for the
SBS 4.5 cd.

Quote:> When is the release date for the next version of SBS... should I just hold
> fire for now?

I personnally believe it won't be this year, that's my opinion though.

But check out to see if buying SBS2k now, doesn't that automatically
give you two years of free updates to the latest release of SBS during
that two year period? Isn't that how licensing works now with MS?

Quote:> Hi,

> We already have SBS 4.5..... I am looking to purchase a new server and
> install SBS 2000 on it; is there any reason why I should not install SBS
4.5
> on the new server and then buy the upgrade?  Would I have to completely
> install SBS 4.5 in order to upgrade, or is it good enough just to have the
> SBS 4.5 discs to hand during the install?

> When is the release date for the next version of SBS... should I just hold
> fire for now?

> Any advice would be appreciated.

> Thanks

> WTT

4.5 => 2000 Upgrade

Post by WantTheTrut » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:52:29

So from your post, it would be best to purchase the SBS 2000 upgrade.....
the last thing I wanted to do is have to upgrade from SBS 4.5 (I just dont
trust the stability of the OS once an upgrade has been applied, and it is
far too messy)... but your post states that this is not the case.

Regarding the two years of free upgrades.... it was my understanding that
this is known as the  "Upgrade Assurance Scheme" but is no longer offered by
Microsoft.

Regards

Darren

> No, you definitely don't need to install SBS 4.5

> During the installation, you'll get prompted for the
> SBS 4.5 cd.

> > When is the release date for the next version of SBS... should I just
hold
> > fire for now?

> I personnally believe it won't be this year, that's my opinion though.

> But check out to see if buying SBS2k now, doesn't that automatically
> give you two years of free updates to the latest release of SBS during
> that two year period? Isn't that how licensing works now with MS?

> > Hi,

> > We already have SBS 4.5..... I am looking to purchase a new server and
> > install SBS 2000 on it; is there any reason why I should not install SBS
> 4.5
> > on the new server and then buy the upgrade?  Would I have to completely
> > install SBS 4.5 in order to upgrade, or is it good enough just to have
the
> > SBS 4.5 discs to hand during the install?

> > When is the release date for the next version of SBS... should I just
hold
> > fire for now?

> > Any advice would be appreciated.

> > Thanks

> > WTT

1. SBS 4.5 -> 2000 Upgrade

Finally going to make the time to upgrade from SBS 4.5 to 2000. I've read
and followed the MS configuration white papers. I understand the upgrade
process. I think I'm good to go, but I'd like some suggestions regarding
server configuration. Specifically in the area of partitioning the HD(s)
what type of RAID to use with which parts of SBS 2k etc. Also, how much
total HD should I pay for. We're (about 25 of us) getting along OK with a
Dell 1400SC w/single 600 P3 and 8Gb non-RAID (4 and 4 for "C" and "D"), but
disk space is always at a premium (Exchange!) and I'd just like a little
more processor horsepower and some wiggle room on the volumes. Other things
of (perhaps) importance... we do not host our own website, we use a POP3
connector for email through our ISP. We are connected via Cisco router and a
single T1 to "the world". Obviously I can provide other info if it is
needed, but I'm really just looking for some thoughts on server config and
maybe some advice on potential gotchas.

John Baker

2. ASP,xmlhttp, and quotes

3. How to mirror my RAID-5 before 4.5 -> 2000 upgrade

4. Link Bar Problems/server extensions

5. SBS 4.5 -> 2000 Upgrade

6. Version

7. upgrade from 4.0 -> 4.5->2000 -> 2003

8. Question about VRC 16 monitor

9. License key problem during SBS 4.5 --> SBS 2000 upgrade

10. Inplace Upgrade Win SBS 4.5 -> Win SBS 2000

11. Upgrade SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000

12. SBS 4.5 -> SBS 2000 - Testing Full System Restore Before Upgrade

13. 4.5->2000 in place upgrade