How many dial ups are necessary for POP3?

How many dial ups are necessary for POP3?

Post by Kremla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding how the POP3 connector works...

If the Internet Mail Connector is scheduled for once per hour, and
the POP3 connector is scheduled for once per hour as well, does that
create 2 calls per hour?

How many dial ups are necessary for POP3?

Post by Jeff Middleto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The nature of the beast is that it begins as two connection over a period of
60 mins, but may eventually converge to only one.  POP3 works on a fixed
time schedule at the top of the hour.  IMC works on a longest delay
schedule.  Therefore, if you set 60mins on IMC, if the mail has been waiting
that long, then it sends.  It's not beyond comprehension that IMC will
detect the option to send when POP3 connects to receive and both transaction
complete.  With no mail waiting, IMC doesn't dial again.

Quote:> I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding how the POP3 connector works...

> If the Internet Mail Connector is scheduled for once per hour, and
> the POP3 connector is scheduled for once per hour as well, does that
> create 2 calls per hour?

How many dial ups are necessary for POP3?

Post by Kremla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks alot for the clarification on this!

> The nature of the beast is that it begins as two connection over a period of
> 60 mins, but may eventually converge to only one.  POP3 works on a fixed
> time schedule at the top of the hour.  IMC works on a longest delay
> schedule.  Therefore, if you set 60mins on IMC, if the mail has been waiting
> that long, then it sends.  It's not beyond comprehension that IMC will
> detect the option to send when POP3 connects to receive and both transaction
> complete.  With no mail waiting, IMC doesn't dial again.

> > I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding how the POP3 connector works...

> > If the Internet Mail Connector is scheduled for once per hour, and
> > the POP3 connector is scheduled for once per hour as well, does that
> > create 2 calls per hour?

1. Proxy necessary with dial-up?

I'm new & dumb at this...

With SBS 4.0, we were set up to use a dial-up connection to our ISP, with
proxy server.  Well, I messed something up somewhere, and now I get errors
trying to access the internet with the proxy turned on ("proxy dial-up
connection failed").  If I turn off the proxy, I have free reign.

With a dialup connection, do I really need the proxy on for surfing?

Thanks - Liz

2. problem with sparcprinter

3. Settings necessary to change from dial-up to DSL?

4. Timeout setting in SqlClient.SqlConnection ignored???

5. Config of POP3 connector - change login account necessary?

6. Thunderclock Plus

7. Persistent ISA dial-ups - stuck outbound mail ?

8. Needed lots..

9. dial ups in network neighbohood

10. Scheduling SMTP dial ups for downloadig mail

11. Timing dial ups and Logs

12. popcon / imc - how do I schedule so that the dial-ups work?

13. MENPKKMKID *** I AM THE TROLL - I AM YOUR BENEVOLENT LEADER *** p5ugFo6RNw0