Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

Post by W. Leon » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 02:17:26

Approximately, How long does it take to do a migration upgrade from SBS 4.5
(22 clients)
onto a new server to SBS 2000?????

I'm thinking of doing it on a weekend, my service provider gave me estimate
of 3 days or 24 hours???

Any tips? Comments? Suggestions???

Thanks.

Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

Post by Dave Nickaso » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 02:32:32

That seems pretty strong to me.  I created an NT4 BDC, took the old server
off the network, promoted the BDC to PDC, upgraded to win2k server,
installed Exchange 5.5, restored the Exchange data from the old server to
the new, and upgraded the new server to SBS 2000 in a 2-day weekend.

IMO SBS 2000 is a simple install.  The only variables that come to mind are
how long it takes you to move the exchange data, and how much fiddling you
have to do to get the workstations to join the new domain.  There's a good
description of the whole process in the migration upgrade white paper on the
SBS site.

Quote:> Approximately, How long does it take to do a migration upgrade from SBS
4.5
> (22 clients)
> onto a new server to SBS 2000?????

> I'm thinking of doing it on a weekend, my service provider gave me
estimate
> of 3 days or 24 hours???

> Any tips? Comments? Suggestions???

> Thanks.

Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

Post by Charles Prettyma » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 04:53:05

I just got a few quotes for that exact process.  Dell/Techsolve estimated 24
hours, with no attention to the clients at all.  Another local, reliable,
and experienced IT company estimated 16 hours.  I posted a similar thread a
while back, and got one response of 15 hours, and one of 4 hours (I liked
the 4 hour one, but I would have had to fly them in from England, so the
cost was more or less equal).

From the responses I got, and the responses you got, it seems like two work
days (16 Hours) is how long it should take, and anyone quoting 24 is either
not experienced, or padding their quote, or providing some additional
service.

Quote:> Approximately, How long does it take to do a migration upgrade from SBS
4.5
> (22 clients)
> onto a new server to SBS 2000?????

> I'm thinking of doing it on a weekend, my service provider gave me
estimate
> of 3 days or 24 hours???

> Any tips? Comments? Suggestions???

> Thanks.

Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

Post by M Gardne » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 16:18:08

About 16 working hours is a fair estimate ASSUMING your
SBS 4.5 installation is working perfectly. No errors or
problems. The hardest part is the Exchange 5.5 to 2k
migration. This also assumes migrating the server only,
no client migration/setup work (that could take longer
depending on number of and type of clients). Also, 24
working hours is not too far fetched either, it could end
up taking that long if problems arise. This is the reason
why I try to follow the advice of many others here and
only do fresh, clean installs if at all possible. Hope
this helps.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I just got a few quotes for that exact process.

Dell/Techsolve estimated 24
Quote:>hours, with no attention to the clients at all.  Another
local, reliable,
>and experienced IT company estimated 16 hours.  I posted
a similar thread a
>while back, and got one response of 15 hours, and one of
4 hours (I liked
>the 4 hour one, but I would have had to fly them in from
England, so the
>cost was more or less equal).

>From the responses I got, and the responses you got, it
seems like two work
>days (16 Hours) is how long it should take, and anyone

quoting 24 is either
>not experienced, or padding their quote, or providing
some additional
>service.

>> Approximately, How long does it take to do a migration
upgrade from SBS
>4.5
>> (22 clients)
>> onto a new server to SBS 2000?????

>> I'm thinking of doing it on a weekend, my service
provider gave me
>estimate
>> of 3 days or 24 hours???

>> Any tips? Comments? Suggestions???

>> Thanks.

>.

Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

Post by Jonathan Williamso » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 18:22:23

We're just looking in to this at the moment - we were hoping to do it using
the three day plan since this seems reasonable.

Most of the plans I've seen don't account for downloading updates to the OS
(No point in installing ashiny new server without all those important
security updates), testing of the configuration (IMHO an absolute must) or
the amount of data to be moved.

Unfortunately we're only on an ISDN line (and down to single channel half
the time due to an ISP problem) so updates can take 3-4 hours.

A test copy of about 20 Gb (25%) of our data took about 2 hours so there
goes a day on the data move alone.  We're currently looking for software
that can reliably copy the data overnight (i.e. will report any errors in a
log, but continue to process the rest).   We've been looking at
synchronisation software since backup doesn't seem to do what we want.

If anyone has recommendations on these areas I'd love to hear them.

Jon

> About 16 working hours is a fair estimate ASSUMING your
> SBS 4.5 installation is working perfectly. No errors or
> problems. The hardest part is the Exchange 5.5 to 2k
> migration. This also assumes migrating the server only,
> no client migration/setup work (that could take longer
> depending on number of and type of clients). Also, 24
> working hours is not too far fetched either, it could end
> up taking that long if problems arise. This is the reason
> why I try to follow the advice of many others here and
> only do fresh, clean installs if at all possible. Hope
> this helps.

Post by Pat Horridg » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 23:10:45

Isn't the easiest route to install the old data drive in the new server and
copy the data drive to drive?
The route I used was to install my SBS 2K from scratch/clean. Apply all the
updates (saving them on the server in case needed later)
Create a few accounts for test.
Then one night I moved the data drive from the server and copied all the
data to the new machine.
I then did a full backup of the new server.
Data drive went back to old server and was available next day for normal
work.
In the mean time I had the new server running with 2 test workstations on
it's own mini LAN.
Made sure everything was running ok, Did more backups etc. Tested AV
software left server running for a week or so to make sure any parts that
were going to fail would be spotted.
Then when I was ready I restored back to my first good SBS2K tape backup and
re did the whole process for real.
Kept the old server on standby incase there was a problem. When all was ok
after a day or 2 the old server was pulled.

> We're just looking in to this at the moment - we were hoping to do it
using
> the three day plan since this seems reasonable.

> Most of the plans I've seen don't account for downloading updates to the
OS
> (No point in installing ashiny new server without all those important
> security updates), testing of the configuration (IMHO an absolute must) or
> the amount of data to be moved.

> Unfortunately we're only on an ISDN line (and down to single channel half
> the time due to an ISP problem) so updates can take 3-4 hours.

> A test copy of about 20 Gb (25%) of our data took about 2 hours so there
> goes a day on the data move alone.  We're currently looking for software
> that can reliably copy the data overnight (i.e. will report any errors in
> log, but continue to process the rest).   We've been looking at
> synchronisation software since backup doesn't seem to do what we want.

> If anyone has recommendations on these areas I'd love to hear them.

> Jon

> > About 16 working hours is a fair estimate ASSUMING your
> > SBS 4.5 installation is working perfectly. No errors or
> > problems. The hardest part is the Exchange 5.5 to 2k
> > migration. This also assumes migrating the server only,
> > no client migration/setup work (that could take longer
> > depending on number of and type of clients). Also, 24
> > working hours is not too far fetched either, it could end
> > up taking that long if problems arise. This is the reason
> > why I try to follow the advice of many others here and
> > only do fresh, clean installs if at all possible. Hope
> > this helps.

Post by Dave Nickaso » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 23:51:57

If you're still in the planning stage, you could either order the SP's on
cd-rom, or download them in advance.  You shouldn't have many hotfixes this
soon after the release of win2k sp3 and exchange sp3.

> We're just looking in to this at the moment - we were hoping to do it
using
> the three day plan since this seems reasonable.

> Most of the plans I've seen don't account for downloading updates to the
OS
> (No point in installing ashiny new server without all those important
> security updates), testing of the configuration (IMHO an absolute must) or
> the amount of data to be moved.

> Unfortunately we're only on an ISDN line (and down to single channel half
> the time due to an ISP problem) so updates can take 3-4 hours.

> A test copy of about 20 Gb (25%) of our data took about 2 hours so there
> goes a day on the data move alone.  We're currently looking for software
> that can reliably copy the data overnight (i.e. will report any errors in
> log, but continue to process the rest).   We've been looking at
> synchronisation software since backup doesn't seem to do what we want.

> If anyone has recommendations on these areas I'd love to hear them.

> Jon

> > About 16 working hours is a fair estimate ASSUMING your
> > SBS 4.5 installation is working perfectly. No errors or
> > problems. The hardest part is the Exchange 5.5 to 2k
> > migration. This also assumes migrating the server only,
> > no client migration/setup work (that could take longer
> > depending on number of and type of clients). Also, 24
> > working hours is not too far fetched either, it could end
> > up taking that long if problems arise. This is the reason
> > why I try to follow the advice of many others here and
> > only do fresh, clean installs if at all possible. Hope
> > this helps.

1. Migrate from SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000 server + Exchange 2000 (NOT SBS 2000).

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm not seeing that my question falls
neatly into any particular newsgroup. Also, please forgive if this is an
FAQ.

I have the difficult task of migrating a client from his current setup --
SBS 4.5 with about 9 users -- to a new setup, Windows 2000 server(s) and
Exchange 2000. My client does not use all the other features of SBS 4.5, and
so believes that upgrading to SBS 2000 is not the right thing to do. He is
intent on going to the more modular and flexible Windows 2k server and and
Exchange 2000 installation.

The wrinkle here, of course, is that he wishes to do a direct migration of
current usernames/profiles and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to the new setup of
Windows 2000 (presumably with AD) and Exchange 2000. I've seen that there
are various whitepapers on the SBS site for upgrading to SBS 2k, but haven't
come across my particular situation.

Might some kind soul direct me to some URL or other that could get me
started?

2. * Newsgroup doc. and 3329 Tips, Tricks, and Registry Hacks - 02-Feb-2001 07:50.14 *

3. Clean install upgrade SBS 2000 on same hardware - Migrating SAM from SBS 4.5

4. making pc link for zq series sharp org

5. Migrating from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new machine

6. recording

7. new server migrate 2000 sbs to 2000 sbs

8. E-Mail Address In Canada

9. Time to Upgrade SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000

10. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

11. Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 for a brand new hard disk

12. migrate from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2003 on a new server ?

13. SBS 4.5 - 2000 Upgrade on new Server