help advice on changing over to ADSL

Post by John » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 02:10:31

Hi all
We have a SBS2000 installation with mixed workstations W98 WK2000 and XP,
presently using a normal analogue dial up connection using standard SBS
set-up. We have 10/100 network cards in the PC's but only a old HP 20 port
10/ hub. Clearly this is a good time to update the hub when we install the
new ADSL
Question is do we need to buy a router and hub combined or should we just
buy a 10/100 switch and use the small ADSL that comes from our ISP (Spanish)
and not use a router at all?

I have read through the very helpful FAQ's at
http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/sbs_2000_with_router.htm
http://www.smallbizserver.net/router.htm

What is the best method and approach? and any suggestions please for a
particular model of router/switch that works well with SBS. We can either
buy locally or in the UK
Thank you in advance
John

help advice on changing over to ADSL

Post by Merv Porte » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 02:54:41

Hi John:

If you get a static IP address from your ISP, you don't need a router.  With
two NICs in your SBS 2000 server, you can connect your ADSL modem directly
to the external NIC.  If you choose to use a router, you may get a little
more security (at the expense of a little more complex setup).
http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/SBS_2000_no_router.htm

If your ISP uses dyamically assigned IP addresses, then a cheap router would
be the way to go.  You'll also then need a service like dns2go
(www.dns2go.com) to take care of Exchange SMTP and remote access since the
IP address from your ISP will potentially be ever-changing.
http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/SBS_2000_dynamic.htm

In either case, use two NICs in the SBS so that ISA will be configured in
firewall mode.

Along with this, buy a 10/100 switch.  This will have the SBS internal NIC
and all workstations plugged into it.  The router (if you need it) will only
need a cable from the DSL modem to the router plus a cable from the router
to the external NIC on the SBS.  Any other available ports on the router
will not be used.  I would also recommend avoiding USB ADSL modems.

Merv
============

Quote:> Hi all
> We have a SBS2000 installation with mixed workstations W98 WK2000 and XP,
> presently using a normal analogue dial up connection using standard SBS
> set-up. We have 10/100 network cards in the PC's but only a old HP 20 port
> 10/ hub. Clearly this is a good time to update the hub when we install the
> new ADSL
> Question is do we need to buy a router and hub combined or should we just
> buy a 10/100 switch and use the small ADSL that comes from our ISP
(Spanish)
> and not use a router at all?

> I have read through the very helpful FAQ's at
> http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/sbs_2000_with_router.htm
> http://www.smallbizserver.net/router.htm

> What is the best method and approach? and any suggestions please for a
> particular model of router/switch that works well with SBS. We can either
> buy locally or in the UK
> Thank you in advance
> John

help advice on changing over to ADSL

Post by John » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:50:31

Thanks Merv
Prompt service indeed!!
We are getting static IP address with I understand is a  permanent
connection (yes?) So you are saying use the ADSL modem that comes with the
package and just buy a 10/100 switch to replace old hub?
Then follow your instruction on the FAQ
Thanks again
John

> Hi John:

> If you get a static IP address from your ISP, you don't need a router.
With
> two NICs in your SBS 2000 server, you can connect your ADSL modem directly
> to the external NIC.  If you choose to use a router, you may get a little
> more security (at the expense of a little more complex setup).
> http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/SBS_2000_no_router.htm

> If your ISP uses dyamically assigned IP addresses, then a cheap router
would
> be the way to go.  You'll also then need a service like dns2go
> (www.dns2go.com) to take care of Exchange SMTP and remote access since the
> IP address from your ISP will potentially be ever-changing.
> http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/SBS_2000_dynamic.htm

> In either case, use two NICs in the SBS so that ISA will be configured in
> firewall mode.

> Along with this, buy a 10/100 switch.  This will have the SBS internal NIC
> and all workstations plugged into it.  The router (if you need it) will
only
> need a cable from the DSL modem to the router plus a cable from the router
> to the external NIC on the SBS.  Any other available ports on the router
> will not be used.  I would also recommend avoiding USB ADSL modems.

> Merv
> ============

> > Hi all
> > We have a SBS2000 installation with mixed workstations W98 WK2000 and
XP,
> > presently using a normal analogue dial up connection using standard SBS
> > set-up. We have 10/100 network cards in the PC's but only a old HP 20
port
> > 10/ hub. Clearly this is a good time to update the hub when we install
the
> > new ADSL
> > Question is do we need to buy a router and hub combined or should we
just
> > buy a 10/100 switch and use the small ADSL that comes from our ISP
> (Spanish)
> > and not use a router at all?

> > I have read through the very helpful FAQ's at
> > http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/sbs_2000_with_router.htm
> > http://www.smallbizserver.net/router.htm

> > What is the best method and approach? and any suggestions please for a
> > particular model of router/switch that works well with SBS. We can
either
> > buy locally or in the UK
> > Thank you in advance
> > John

help advice on changing over to ADSL

Post by Merv Porte » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 04:00:52

Yep.  Router is optional, connection is permanent (persistent) but you'll
need the switch.

Merv
==========

> [...]

SBS
> > > set-up. We have 10/100 network cards in the PC's but only a old HP 20
> port
> > > 10/ hub. Clearly this is a good time to update the hub when we install
> the
> > > new ADSL
> > > Question is do we need to buy a router and hub combined or should we
> just
> > > buy a 10/100 switch and use the small ADSL that comes from our ISP
> > (Spanish)
> > > and not use a router at all?

> > > I have read through the very helpful FAQ's at
> > > http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/sbs_2000_with_router.htm
> > > http://www.smallbizserver.net/router.htm

> > > What is the best method and approach? and any suggestions please for a
> > > particular model of router/switch that works well with SBS. We can

Post by Dave Nickaso » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 04:36:14

I'd take a look at the Dell PowerConnect switches.  I have one of those, and
one 3-Com.  Both work perfectly, but the Dell has the ports on the front,
which is a real convenience when making new connections in a cramped closet.
The Dell also supports redundant power supplies, supposedly the #1 point of
failure, and you can get an affordable 10/100 switch with a gigabit port if
you want one.

Quote:> Hi all
> We have a SBS2000 installation with mixed workstations W98 WK2000 and XP,
> presently using a normal analogue dial up connection using standard SBS
> set-up. We have 10/100 network cards in the PC's but only a old HP 20 port
> 10/ hub. Clearly this is a good time to update the hub when we install the
> new ADSL
> Question is do we need to buy a router and hub combined or should we just
> buy a 10/100 switch and use the small ADSL that comes from our ISP
(Spanish)
> and not use a router at all?

> I have read through the very helpful FAQ's at
> http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/sbs_2000_with_router.htm
> http://www.smallbizserver.net/router.htm

> What is the best method and approach? and any suggestions please for a
> particular model of router/switch that works well with SBS. We can either
> buy locally or in the UK
> Thank you in advance
> John

help advice on changing over to ADSL

Post by John » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:06:12

Hi Merv
Couple of quick points following on from your advice
You say connect the 2nd (external) card to "With two NICs in your SBS 2000
server, you can connect your ADSL modem directly to the external NIC.

What sort of cable do I use for that? This very small ADSL modem box that
comes from Telefonica (Spanish ISP) seems to have 2 standard telephone
connectors -  one to the line-in wall socket and one to a phone attached and
a USB connector to connect to a PC - is this modem going to be suitable?

Also I notice in your FAQ article that you say Internal NIC needs only 4
services 'ticked' and the External needs 1 service. My question is,
shouldn't the "fax sharing option" be ticked also on the Internal NIC making
it 5? or is this not required on the SBS server?

TIA
John

Quote:> > > > http://www.smallbizserver.net/router.htm

> > either

help advice on changing over to ADSL

Post by jimbehn.. » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:30:06

The dsl modems I see have a phone line in, a usb port out and an
ethernet port out. I have never seen one with a phone out. Some do not
have an ethernet out and they are not suitable for SBS. A phone jack
has 2-4 little wires in it. The ethernet port has 8 wires in it. The
ethernet port is of course almost twice as wide. This is for American
adsl stuff. I have not been across the pond so I am just making an
assumption that your phone stuff connects the same.

If the modem has a built in PPPoE dialer then it is suitable for
plugging directly into the server via an ethernet cable or posibbly a
crossover ethernet cable.

>Hi Merv
>Couple of quick points following on from your advice
>You say connect the 2nd (external) card to "With two NICs in your SBS 2000
>server, you can connect your ADSL modem directly to the external NIC.

>What sort of cable do I use for that? This very small ADSL modem box that
>comes from Telefonica (Spanish ISP) seems to have 2 standard telephone
>connectors -  one to the line-in wall socket and one to a phone attached and
>a USB connector to connect to a PC - is this modem going to be suitable?

>Also I notice in your FAQ article that you say Internal NIC needs only 4
>services 'ticked' and the External needs 1 service. My question is,
>shouldn't the "fax sharing option" be ticked also on the Internal NIC making
>it 5? or is this not required on the SBS server?

>TIA
>John

>> Yep.  Router is optional, connection is permanent (persistent) but you'll
>> need the switch.

>> Merv
>> ==========

>> > Thanks Merv
>> > Prompt service indeed!!
>> > We are getting static IP address with I understand is a  permanent
>> > connection (yes?) So you are saying use the ADSL modem that comes with
>the
>> > package and just buy a 10/100 switch to replace old hub?
>> > Then follow your instruction on the FAQ
>> > Thanks again
>> > John

>> > With
>> directly
>> little

>> > would
>> the

>> in

>> NIC
>will
>> > only
>> router
>router

>and
>> > XP,
>> SBS
>20
>> > port
>install
>> > the
>> > just

>http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/sbs_2000_with_router.htm

>> > either

Jim B.

help advice on changing over to ADSL

Post by Merv Porte » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:45:28

Quote:> shouldn't the "fax sharing option" be ticked also on the Internal NIC
making
> it 5? or is this not required on the SBS server?

Yes

Quote:> a USB connector to connect to a PC - is this modem going to be suitable?

I haven't had any direct experience trying to set up USB DSL modems with
SBS.  From posts I've read, they can be problematic.  A DSL modem with an
Ethernet jack that can be connected to the external NIC would be my
preference.

I found the following at:
http://www.advanced-television.com/pages/pagesb/newsarchive2/february...
It implies that Telefonica "may" have an Ethernet DSL modem available in
addition to their USB models.  You may want to contact them to see what your
options are.

<Snip>  (Feb 2002)

Allied DSL for Telefonica

Telefonica SA, the leading telecommunications operator in the
Spanish-speaking world, has signed a million dollar deal with Allied Data
Technologies in partnership with its Spanish distributor Iberica.

Jeroen van Eersel, Vice President Sales & Marketing, Allied Data
Technologies, says. "The 'KIT ADSL USB' is a strategically important product
for Telefonica. Although Telefonica already had an ADSL product, it did not
have an ADSL device with USB connection. Including the CopperJet 800 in this
new package significantly expands Telefonica's consumer market offer. Our
CopperJet 800 is built upon the highly integrated Texas Instruments
AU5-chipset to meet all the high performance and feature rich demands for
the fast growing ADSL market."

The order involves the delivery of Allied Data's CopperJet 800 modem within
the next six months. The CopperJet 800 will be included in the ADSL
subscription package, also known as 'KIT ADSL USB', of Telefonica and will
be sold via the Telefonica outlets throughout Spain. The order was the
result of an intensive co-operation between Allied Data Technologies and its
largest distributor in Spain, Iberica de Control y Telefonica, SA (ICT).

<End Snip>
===================

> Hi Merv
> Couple of quick points following on from your advice
> You say connect the 2nd (external) card to "With two NICs in your SBS 2000
> server, you can connect your ADSL modem directly to the external NIC.

> What sort of cable do I use for that? This very small ADSL modem box that
> comes from Telefonica (Spanish ISP) seems to have 2 standard telephone
> connectors -  one to the line-in wall socket and one to a phone attached
and
> a USB connector to connect to a PC - is this modem going to be suitable?

> Also I notice in your FAQ article that you say Internal NIC needs only 4
> services 'ticked' and the External needs 1 service. My question is,
> shouldn't the "fax sharing option" be ticked also on the Internal NIC
making
> it 5? or is this not required on the SBS server?

> TIA
> John

> > Yep.  Router is optional, connection is permanent (persistent) but
you'll
> > need the switch.

> > Merv
> > ==========

> > > Thanks Merv
> > > Prompt service indeed!!
> > > We are getting static IP address with I understand is a  permanent
> > > connection (yes?) So you are saying use the ADSL modem that comes with
> the
> > > package and just buy a 10/100 switch to replace old hub?
> > > Then follow your instruction on the FAQ
> > > Thanks again
> > > John

> > > With
> > directly
> > little

> > > would
> > the

> > in

> > NIC
> will
> > > only
> > router
> router

> and
> > > XP,
> > SBS
> 20
> > > port
> install
> > > the
> > > just

> http://www.smallbizserver.net/network_setups/sbs_2000_with_router.htm

> > > either

1. WAN via VPN over ADSL advice!

HI All,

I have a sbs2000 server at site A (Head Office) and a Windows
2000/ISA/server at site B(Remote Site)
I have run the set up local/remote wizard on both machines and this has
connected them but if I try to access a file on site A's server from site B
I get a username/password box pop up that will not except anything including
the Administrator log on. The configuration at each site is as follows Site
a is INT NIC-192.168.16.2-255.255.255.0/ site b is INT NIC
10.10.1.1-255.255.0.0 so I think this is okay but I could be wrong. I also
have the problem that I need clients at site B to have access on the LAN at
site A but I cannot even ping the server (Destination unavailable) from a
client on site B but can on the server at site B.

Any pointers or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jase

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

2. FS: Onyx2 Infinite Reality

3. Help ---Expert Advice Needed--- Help

4. Error Internet Explorer Internet Mail - Exchange 5 RC1

5. changing from dialup to ADSL

6. FS: MiniVas Animation Controllers

7. Broadband VPN problem - ADSL & Cable clients unable to connect correctly to ADSL equipped server

8. AD: Tek 8540 Emulators on offer to good home

9. SBS 4.5 - Migration from Dial-up to ADSL via Router Help Request

10. ADSL router help?

11. HELP - ADSL Router problems

12. Help - use both ADSL and modem under ISA?

13. For anyone with experience in Firewalls and ADSL Modems - urgent help needed!!!