SBS will not re-install properly.

Post by Dennis Par » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:14:56

We have begun setting up a Win2000 server (we currently
have a UNIX FreeBSD server).

First of all, I would like to let everyone know I am a
novice at working with SBS. We are a small company, less
than 20 employees. I have worked support for W2K Pro, CAD
software and related issues. So I am very familiar with
W2K set. I know server O/S is another animal. But I have
time to learn as I go as we are not in a hurry to get this
server up and going.

With that in mind, when we got the server in from DELL
(PowerEdge 1400 SC) we did not like the partition size for
the C drive. So we decided it best to reinstall the OS.
Using the Dell OpenManage "start here" CD, I began the
reinstall. The install seemded to go fine, at the first
reboot it said that there were some W2K files that needed
to be updated. So I stuck in our W2K CD. The reboot and
update seemed to go fine. The OS splash screen showed W2K
Server (not SBS). It then asked to put in the SBS CD to
complete the install. I did this and got this error
message...

"This version cannot upgrade the installed version of
Microsoft Small Buisiness Server".

First of all the splash screen on restart is showing W2K
Server, not SBS, so SBS is not installed yet. Our W2K Pro
CD is an SP2 disc. The SBS disc is an SP1 disc. I have
installed Active Direcetory, set up server as a DNS
server, added users, two test computers (using a small
test network before deploying for the real thing), I can
log on, everything works. I can ping the other machines,
ping the server. However, I want to run the user upgrade
(add five clients) yet it says the upgrade disc is for
SBS, which is not installed. Yet installing SBS tells me
the version of SBS installed cannot be upgraded from my
install disc.

How do I get the SBS install to complete so we are on SBS
instead of just plain W2K Server. Does anyone have an idea
on how to get the SBS install to complete? I called Dell,
then said that everything (from my description) on the
reinstall of the OS happened properly, except for the step
where it would not complete the SBS part of the install.

I am stuck. Anyone who can help this novice get through
this the rest is under control.

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds to this
question.

Regards,
Dennis Parr
Better By Design
262-740-1860

SBS will not re-install properly.

Post by Chad A Gros » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:41:36

see inline

Quote:> We have begun setting up a Win2000 server (we currently
> have a UNIX FreeBSD server).

> First of all, I would like to let everyone know I am a
> novice at working with SBS. We are a small company, less
> than 20 employees. I have worked support for W2K Pro, CAD
> software and related issues. So I am very familiar with
> W2K set. I know server O/S is another animal. But I have
> time to learn as I go as we are not in a hurry to get this
> server up and going.

First - welcome to the family!  ;^)

Quote:> With that in mind, when we got the server in from DELL
> (PowerEdge 1400 SC) we did not like the partition size for
> the C drive. So we decided it best to reinstall the OS.
> Using the Dell OpenManage "start here" CD, I began the
> reinstall. The install seemded to go fine, at the first
> reboot it said that there were some W2K files that needed
> to be updated. So I stuck in our W2K CD.

Did you offer your SBS CD 1 for the W2K files?

Quote:> The reboot and
> update seemed to go fine. The OS splash screen showed W2K
> Server (not SBS).

Normal

Quote:> It then asked to put in the SBS CD to
> complete the install. I did this and got this error
> message...

> "This version cannot upgrade the installed version of
> Microsoft Small Buisiness Server".

> First of all the splash screen on restart is showing W2K
> Server, not SBS, so SBS is not installed yet. Our W2K Pro
> CD is an SP2 disc. The SBS disc is an SP1 disc.

By any chance did you put in your W2K Pro disk to update W2K files when
prompted earlier instead of your SBS CD 1?

Quote:> I have
> installed Active Direcetory, set up server as a DNS
> server, added users, two test computers (using a small
> test network before deploying for the real thing), I can
> log on, everything works. I can ping the other machines,
> ping the server. However, I want to run the user upgrade
> (add five clients) yet it says the upgrade disc is for
> SBS, which is not installed. Yet installing SBS tells me
> the version of SBS installed cannot be upgraded from my
> install disc.

The beauty of the SBS install is that it handles installing Active
Directory, DNS, DHCP, etc. for you as well as the various SBS apps you
choose.  For future reference, the general rule of thumb with SBS is to
trust the wizards, and use them - they will make your life easier in the
long run.

Quote:> How do I get the SBS install to complete so we are on SBS
> instead of just plain W2K Server. Does anyone have an idea
> on how to get the SBS install to complete? I called Dell,
> then said that everything (from my description) on the
> reinstall of the OS happened properly, except for the step
> where it would not complete the SBS part of the install.

> I am stuck. Anyone who can help this novice get through
> this the rest is under control.

If you offered a W2K Pro SP2 CD to update the W2K files, I'm going to
hypothesize that is the root of the problem on why the upgrade won't
continue.  I'm not sure if the culprit is W2K Pro or SP2, but if I were a
betting man, I'd say W2K Pro.  Since there isn't a hurry to get this machine
up & running, I would suggest starting over.  With your first SBS install,
it's often in your best interest to install twice - once to get a feel for
it, the second to fix everything that went wrong . . . :^)   In the
meantime, bookmark www.sbs2000.info   www.sbslinks.com , and remember to
name your Active Directory domain <yourcompany>.local instead of
<yourcompany>.com (or any other top level domain)

> Thank you in advance to everyone who responds to this
> question.

> Regards,
> Dennis Parr
> Better By Design
> 262-740-1860

HTH

Chad

SBS will not re-install properly.

Post by Tim Ficke » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 02:52:38

I'm a newbie also, but becoming a full fledged SBS'er when
it comes to installation.  I just got a PowerEdge 1500SC
and like Chad said, I reinstalled with direction from Dell
Tech, a 6 hour phone call on Thursday.  When it still
didn't go right I just kept at it. On reinstall number 6
got everything working just great, and got it down to 1
hour and 29 minutes last night if anyone is counting... I
was after missing all the football games over the weekend.

Anyway, probably easier to discuss than for me to type,
send an email and I'll give my phone number...

Post by SuperGumb » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 06:05:56

When using the Dell install (which I haven't recently) is there a specific
choice for SBS or was it only giving you the W2KS option ?

Next, for your test setup I suggest not adding the client licenses, the base
install includes 5 CALs and should be sufficient for your test.

Are you using software or hardware RAID ? If hardware, the Dell install tool
handles it fine but adds a bit of bloat, it's possible to install from the
SBS CD's directly. If software RAID the Dell partition complicates things
and (IMHO) is better avoided.

BTW. What size/type HDD's and what partitioning scheme do you plan on ?

I haven't done an install recently. Is MS/Dell supplying install CD's of SBS
SP1 (ie. including W2K SP3 etc...) or is this the original SBS CD set ?
Either way, use the SBS CD's, do not attempt to use your W2KPro SP2 CD at
any stage of the installation.

The installation of AD will be performed by the SBS install wizard. Doing
this manually will only add to your pain.
PS. When asked for your AD DNS domain, use whatever.local (as another
responent so correctly points out). Even if you are SOA for your internet
domain, which I doubt you are.

You're off to a good start. First time installers are expected to encounter
problems. If it all goes well on the 2nd attempt I suggest doing it a third
time for practice.

Quote:> We have begun setting up a Win2000 server (we currently
> have a UNIX FreeBSD server).

1. SBS 4.5 Proxy re-install instead of full server re-install

Hi All,
Sorry for the 4.5 questions on the SBS2K NG.

Seems our Proxy server part of 4.5 has some sort of attack. A number of the
security files were missing from the server and we have no other explanation
other than the server has been attacked. By what I don't know.

Instead of a full re-install is there a way we can perform a re-install of
the proxy component.

Thank you in advance.

Rob

2. PKZIP for VMS ?

3. W95 client does not connect after re-install SBS 4.0a

4. Changing default currency

5. Re-Install not going well!!!

6. Newsgroups / discussion site

7. POP3 Connector Not Installing Properly

8. To re-install or not

9. Exchange is not starting need backup and re-install info

10. SMS Client not properly installing on Windows 2000 machines?

11. HELP! SMS server re-install not working.