Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Post by RS » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We need to monopolize a printer on intermittent basis to prevent printing,
say, a letter on a prenumbered check. So, I have setup two identical
printers with different names and connected to one LPT port. The idea was to
grant accounting the right to suspend the primary printer and use the
password protected clone.  It seems to work. BUT! Every once in a while a
W98 workstation printer go off-line for no reason?!?!  It occurs with no
rime or reason on random workstations at the moment when a user sends
something to be printed. Any ideas?

Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

RS.

Might I strongly suggest print servers(jet direct etc) instead of the
Workstation if this is critical.

The issue is probably name resolution and because the workstation has a
dynamically assigned IP could cause hiccups

Assign a static IP to printers and should fix problem
By the way you can still do the printer priority thing

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

>We need to monopolize a printer on intermittent basis to prevent printing,
>say, a letter on a prenumbered check. So, I have setup two identical
>printers with different names and connected to one LPT port. The idea was
>grant accounting the right to suspend the primary printer and use the
>password protected clone.  It seems to work. BUT! Every once in a while a
>W98 workstation printer go off-line for no reason?!?!  It occurs with no
>rime or reason on random workstations at the moment when a user sends
>something to be printed. Any ideas?

Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Post by RS » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Cris,
    The printer is connected to SBS that has two printer names for it
(Payroll & HP...) The W98 workstations have two printer drivers pointing to
these. So, the printer (via the server) ought to have a static IP unlike the
workstations. Would this configuration be prone to any hiccups?

PS: As an additional clue: the other day three print jobs got stuck in the
workstation queue; the server listed none and everyone else could print
okay. Surprisingly, though, I could pause the server printer via the locked
workstation print window. Furthermore, if I un-paused that printer name on
the server, the locked workstation reflected it but still would not
"synchronize" the queue and print the jobs!  I got them to print after
changing the workstation's printer port to a non-existent printer and
back... Well, that did it; all jobs got printed. But we still get a number
of "Printer off line" error messages a day!

> RS.

> Might I strongly suggest print servers(jet direct etc) instead of the
> Workstation if this is critical.

> The issue is probably name resolution and because the workstation has a
> dynamically assigned IP could cause hiccups

> Assign a static IP to printers and should fix problem
> By the way you can still do the printer priority thing

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> >We need to monopolize a printer on intermittent basis to prevent
printing,
> >say, a letter on a prenumbered check. So, I have setup two identical
> >printers with different names and connected to one LPT port. The idea was
> >grant accounting the right to suspend the primary printer and use the
> >password protected clone.  It seems to work. BUT! Every once in a while a
> >W98 workstation printer go off-line for no reason?!?!  It occurs with no
> >rime or reason on random workstations at the moment when a user sends
> >something to be printed. Any ideas?

Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Get a cheap deskjet to put the checks in and make it a dedicated check
printer

--
Grey
MVP SBS

> Cris,
>     The printer is connected to SBS that has two printer names for it
> (Payroll & HP...) The W98 workstations have two printer drivers pointing
> these. So, the printer (via the server) ought to have a static IP unlike
the
> workstations. Would this configuration be prone to any hiccups?

> PS: As an additional clue: the other day three print jobs got stuck in the
> workstation queue; the server listed none and everyone else could print
> okay. Surprisingly, though, I could pause the server printer via the
locked
> workstation print window. Furthermore, if I un-paused that printer name on
> the server, the locked workstation reflected it but still would not
> "synchronize" the queue and print the jobs!  I got them to print after
> changing the workstation's printer port to a non-existent printer and
> back... Well, that did it; all jobs got printed. But we still get a number
> of "Printer off line" error messages a day!

> > RS.

> > Might I strongly suggest print servers(jet direct etc) instead of the
> > Workstation if this is critical.

> > The issue is probably name resolution and because the workstation has a
> > dynamically assigned IP could cause hiccups

> > Assign a static IP to printers and should fix problem
> > By the way you can still do the printer priority thing

> > --
> > Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> > SBS-MVP

> > >We need to monopolize a printer on intermittent basis to prevent
> printing,
> > >say, a letter on a prenumbered check. So, I have setup two identical
> > >printers with different names and connected to one LPT port. The idea
was
> > >grant accounting the right to suspend the primary printer and use the
> > >password protected clone.  It seems to work. BUT! Every once in a while
> > >W98 workstation printer go off-line for no reason?!?!  It occurs with
no
> > >rime or reason on random workstations at the moment when a user sends
> > >something to be printed. Any ideas?

Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The printer directly connected to the lpt port on server does not get a IP.
Its just a share name.

Might help to put lmhost files on your workstations which preload the server
IP/name

or as Grey suggested
Get another printer, dedicated to check printing

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

>Cris,
>    The printer is connected to SBS that has two printer names for it
>(Payroll & HP...) The W98 workstations have two printer drivers pointing to
>these. So, the printer (via the server) ought to have a static IP unlike
the
>workstations. Would this configuration be prone to any hiccups?

>PS: As an additional clue: the other day three print jobs got stuck in the
>workstation queue; the server listed none and everyone else could print
>okay. Surprisingly, though, I could pause the server printer via the locked
>workstation print window. Furthermore, if I un-paused that printer name on
>the server, the locked workstation reflected it but still would not
>"synchronize" the queue and print the jobs!  I got them to print after
>changing the workstation's printer port to a non-existent printer and
>back... Well, that did it; all jobs got printed. But we still get a number
>of "Printer off line" error messages a day!

>> RS.

>> Might I strongly suggest print servers(jet direct etc) instead of the
>> Workstation if this is critical.

>> The issue is probably name resolution and because the workstation has a
>> dynamically assigned IP could cause hiccups

>> Assign a static IP to printers and should fix problem
>> By the way you can still do the printer priority thing

>> --
>> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
>> SBS-MVP

>> >We need to monopolize a printer on intermittent basis to prevent
>printing,
>> >say, a letter on a prenumbered check. So, I have setup two identical
>> >printers with different names and connected to one LPT port. The idea
was
>> >grant accounting the right to suspend the primary printer and use the
>> >password protected clone.  It seems to work. BUT! Every once in a while
>> >W98 workstation printer go off-line for no reason?!?!  It occurs with no
>> >rime or reason on random workstations at the moment when a user sends
>> >something to be printed. Any ideas?

Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Post by RS » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Could you dwell on the "lmhost files" for a sentence or two? How do I do it
OR what they are, etc. I would appreciate it.

PS: We have three lasers and getting a forth will not lay well with the
owners nor will the inkjet solution...

> The printer directly connected to the lpt port on server does not get a
IP.
> Its just a share name.

> Might help to put lmhost files on your workstations which preload the
server
> IP/name

> or as Grey suggested
> Get another printer, dedicated to check printing

> --
> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> SBS-MVP

> >Cris,
> >    The printer is connected to SBS that has two printer names for it
> >(Payroll & HP...) The W98 workstations have two printer drivers pointing
> >these. So, the printer (via the server) ought to have a static IP unlike
> the
> >workstations. Would this configuration be prone to any hiccups?

> >PS: As an additional clue: the other day three print jobs got stuck in
the
> >workstation queue; the server listed none and everyone else could print
> >okay. Surprisingly, though, I could pause the server printer via the
locked
> >workstation print window. Furthermore, if I un-paused that printer name
on
> >the server, the locked workstation reflected it but still would not
> >"synchronize" the queue and print the jobs!  I got them to print after
> >changing the workstation's printer port to a non-existent printer and
> >back... Well, that did it; all jobs got printed. But we still get a
number
> >of "Printer off line" error messages a day!

> >> RS.

> >> Might I strongly suggest print servers(jet direct etc) instead of the
> >> Workstation if this is critical.

> >> The issue is probably name resolution and because the workstation has a
> >> dynamically assigned IP could cause hiccups

> >> Assign a static IP to printers and should fix problem
> >> By the way you can still do the printer priority thing

> >> --
> >> Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
> >> SBS-MVP

> >printing,
> was

Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On any of your win95/98 workstations you will find a file in the Windows
directory called lmhost.sam  open the file with notepad
You will get more info than you could dream

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP