2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Post by Chuck Chilto » Fri, 02 May 2003 00:23:51

Hello,

Is it possible to have 2 Small Business Servers in one network set up as the
following :

Server 1 :
Small Business Server 2000
Domain Controller
SQL 2000
Exchange server
And all the other standard features

Server 2:
Small Business Server 2000
Member Server to Server 1
Just needs SQL 2000

Basically we need a dedicated server to run a server application that uses
Windows Server and Microsoft SQL server. We've checked with the software
manufactorers and theres a big cost saving in licenses to install the app to
a Small Business Server with MS SQL server on it and then get Veritas Backup
Small Business Edition to back it all up.

If we depromote the 2nd server from a DC (after its all been setup) to a
member server can they happilly get along side by side? will the member
server still be able to run sql server no probs?

Thanks for any advice

Chuck

2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Post by Chad A Gros » Fri, 02 May 2003 00:43:25

Sorry Chuck - can't be done.  SBS has to be the root of the AD forest, which
means that you can't have two SBS's on the same network.

--

Chad A. Gross

Lerman's Law of Technology:  Any technical problem can be overcome given
enough time and money.
Corollary:  You are never given enough time or money.

Quote:> Hello,

> Is it possible to have 2 Small Business Servers in one network set up as
the
> following :

> Server 1 :
> Small Business Server 2000
> Domain Controller
> SQL 2000
> Exchange server
> And all the other standard features

> Server 2:
> Small Business Server 2000
> Member Server to Server 1
> Just needs SQL 2000

> Basically we need a dedicated server to run a server application that uses
> Windows Server and Microsoft SQL server. We've checked with the software
> manufactorers and theres a big cost saving in licenses to install the app
> a Small Business Server with MS SQL server on it and then get Veritas
Backup
> Small Business Edition to back it all up.

> If we depromote the 2nd server from a DC (after its all been setup) to a
> member server can they happilly get along side by side? will the member
> server still be able to run sql server no probs?

> Thanks for any advice

> Chuck

2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Post by Mike Downe » Fri, 02 May 2003 01:13:09

Hi, Chuck.  You may want to consider this scenario:

Set up SBS 2000 on the first server like you listed below.

Purchase a second computer to run Windows 2000 Server as a member server and
purchase SQL and any CALs that you need for SQL.  You won't need to purchase
any Windows 2000 Server CALs for this second server -- SBS covers Windows
2000 Server CALs on member servers, too.

Veritas BE v9.0 for SBS will only allow you to back up the local computer.
However, if you purchase the full Server, Exchange and SQL licenses, you can
back up the remote SQL database on the member server.  I don't know if you
have to purchase a remote agent license to backup the data on the member
server or not.  That may not be that important to you, though, if you have
the databases backed up.

I think if you purchase SQL Server license and CALs instead of the second
SBS Server and CALs and then purchase the full version and agents for BE
instead of two copies of BE for SBS, the pricing will come out pretty close.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Quote:> Hello,

> Is it possible to have 2 Small Business Servers in one network set up as
the
> following :

> Server 1 :
> Small Business Server 2000
> Domain Controller
> SQL 2000
> Exchange server
> And all the other standard features

> Server 2:
> Small Business Server 2000
> Member Server to Server 1
> Just needs SQL 2000

> Basically we need a dedicated server to run a server application that uses
> Windows Server and Microsoft SQL server. We've checked with the software
> manufactorers and theres a big cost saving in licenses to install the app
> a Small Business Server with MS SQL server on it and then get Veritas
Backup
> Small Business Edition to back it all up.

> If we depromote the 2nd server from a DC (after its all been setup) to a
> member server can they happilly get along side by side? will the member
> server still be able to run sql server no probs?

> Thanks for any advice

> Chuck

2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Post by sgupt » Fri, 02 May 2003 04:33:07

That is news to me that SBS covers win2k cals for another
server! Hmph..what you write may lead me to a solution
too. Thanks
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, Chuck.  You may want to consider this scenario:

>Set up SBS 2000 on the first server like you listed below.

>Purchase a second computer to run Windows 2000 Server as
a member server and
>purchase SQL and any CALs that you need for SQL.  You

won't need to purchase
Quote:>any Windows 2000 Server CALs for this second server --
SBS covers Windows
>2000 Server CALs on member servers, too.

>Veritas BE v9.0 for SBS will only allow you to back up
the local computer.
>However, if you purchase the full Server, Exchange and

SQL licenses, you can
Quote:>back up the remote SQL database on the member server.  I
don't know if you
>have to purchase a remote agent license to backup the
data on the member
>server or not.  That may not be that important to you,
though, if you have
>the databases backed up.

>I think if you purchase SQL Server license and CALs

instead of the second
Quote:>SBS Server and CALs and then purchase the full version
and agents for BE
>instead of two copies of BE for SBS, the pricing will

come out pretty close.

>Hope this helps.
>Mike

>> Hello,

>> Is it possible to have 2 Small Business Servers in one
network set up as
>the
>> following :

>> Server 1 :
>> Small Business Server 2000
>> Domain Controller
>> SQL 2000
>> Exchange server
>> And all the other standard features

>> Server 2:
>> Small Business Server 2000
>> Member Server to Server 1
>> Just needs SQL 2000

>> Basically we need a dedicated server to run a server

application that uses

Quote:>> Windows Server and Microsoft SQL server. We've checked
with the software
>> manufactorers and theres a big cost saving in licenses
to install the app
>> a Small Business Server with MS SQL server on it and
then get Veritas
>Backup
>> Small Business Edition to back it all up.

>> If we depromote the 2nd server from a DC (after its all
been setup) to a
>> member server can they happilly get along side by side?
will the member
>> server still be able to run sql server no probs?

>> Thanks for any advice

>> Chuck

>.

2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Post by Ray Fong [MSF » Fri, 02 May 2003 08:10:38

To be clear in case there is any misunderstanding.....

When you add a second W2k server, the SBS client CALs cover W2k "client"
CALs. However, you still need a "server" CAL for the w2k server.

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

>That is news to me that SBS covers win2k cals for another
>server! Hmph..what you write may lead me to a solution
>too. Thanks

>>> Chuck

>>.

2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Fri, 02 May 2003 08:57:22

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:10:38 GMT, Ray Fong [MSFT]

> To be clear in case there is any misunderstanding.....

> When you add a second W2k server, the SBS client CALs cover W2k "client"
> CALs. However, you still need a "server" CAL for the w2k server.

> Ray Fong
> Microsoft SBS Product Support

I think you mean a server license, not a server CAL (server client access
license makes no sense!).

And a member server in an SBS domain will itself consume an SBS CAL.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Post by Chuck Chilto » Sat, 03 May 2003 00:26:04

Thanks all you've been a great help! :) got some solid solutions now

Chuck

> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:10:38 GMT, Ray Fong [MSFT]

> > To be clear in case there is any misunderstanding.....

> > When you add a second W2k server, the SBS client CALs cover W2k "client"
> > CALs. However, you still need a "server" CAL for the w2k server.

> > Ray Fong
> > Microsoft SBS Product Support

> I think you mean a server license, not a server CAL (server client access
> license makes no sense!).

> And a member server in an SBS domain will itself consume an SBS CAL.

> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

1. Security ID, one normal NT server and one SBS server

Hi!
We have one SBS Server and one "normal" NT Server.
The older  NT Server should act as a backup-server, without a new
installation...
Some how we solved this problem, but if the normal NT Server has the
domain-name from the SBS, we get lots of SID(security ID) problems in the
event log. How can we solve this problem, how to set new SID's on the NT
Server ???

Many thanx
Ch.Pothmann

2. Palm V/8 MEG- Hot Sync Times

3. using more than one domain for one exchange server

4. CAPI FOR WINDOWS NT

5. Are packages sent to Distribution servers in parallel or one by one??

6. In one pipe, out the other (PIX 501 6.2)

7. 2 Samba servers - one slow one fast ?!

8. MCP Self Study Kits

9. I already have one ISP, don't want Wizard select one for me!

10. Can one have multiple drivers attached to one printer?

11. Setting up more than one outlook client on one pc

12. user first logon doesn't work on one client

13. ISDN router with one-to-one NAT