Upstream Proxy Problem

Post by Andy Johnso » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:57:10

Can anyone help, I have a client that is using SBS4.5 and have UUNET as
their ISP. UUNET use a Proxy Server themselves for general web access which
you have to tell Proxy Server about and then everything works fine. My
problem is that UUNET also host a service which this company needs to use
which for access you musn't go through UUNET's webcache, unfortunately there
is no setting in Proxy Server to tell it to bypass the upstream proxy for
the specific addresses I want.

I've found a KB article and it lists the problem as a known feature of Proxy
2.0 but that it is fixed in SP1 which allows you to specify sites to exclude
from the upward stream. I have downloaded SP1 for Proxy Server, applied it,
re-booted it and ... nothing.

Has anyone else had a similar problem to this ? It sounds like the perfect
fix if I could get it to work. It talks about a new registry entry being
available after the update but I can't see it there ? Help ! At the moment
if I enable the upstream to the UUNET webcache I get the whole of the
Internet but not the system I need. If I disable the upstream I get the
restricted site I need but not the rest of the Internet.

Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy Johnson

Upstream Proxy Problem

Post by Andy Johnso » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 01:52:53

Please ignore my stupidity, as they say I should have read the release notes
for Proxy Server SP1 before trying to use it ! It's documented beautifully
in there.

Sorry.

Andy

> Can anyone help, I have a client that is using SBS4.5 and have UUNET as
> their ISP. UUNET use a Proxy Server themselves for general web access
which
> you have to tell Proxy Server about and then everything works fine. My
> problem is that UUNET also host a service which this company needs to use
> which for access you musn't go through UUNET's webcache, unfortunately
there
> is no setting in Proxy Server to tell it to bypass the upstream proxy for
> the specific addresses I want.

> I've found a KB article and it lists the problem as a known feature of
Proxy
> 2.0 but that it is fixed in SP1 which allows you to specify sites to
exclude
> from the upward stream. I have downloaded SP1 for Proxy Server, applied
it,
> re-booted it and ... nothing.

> Has anyone else had a similar problem to this ? It sounds like the perfect
> fix if I could get it to work. It talks about a new registry entry being
> available after the update but I can't see it there ? Help ! At the moment
> if I enable the upstream to the UUNET webcache I get the whole of the
> Internet but not the system I need. If I disable the upstream I get the
> restricted site I need but not the rest of the Internet.

> Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

> Regards

> Andy Johnson

1. Proxy 2.0 & Selective Upstream Proxy Routing

Does anyone have any information on this problem please?

The system has 2 NIC's, one for local LAN and one connected to cable modem
for internet access.

I have configured MS Proxy 2.0 (running on SBS) to use an upstream proxy
(the ISP's proxy),
and this works fine.

The problem is that I need to use the upstream proxy function for Internet
traffic only, and NOT for the IP's of the ISP's local servers. The simple
reason is that any traffic going through the ISP's proxy is chargable, while
"local" traffic to the ISP's news and mail servers is not charged.

I have played around with the LAT, as well as trying to set up routing to
the ISP's local LAN but none of these options seem to work. The routing
fails because, I believe, the ISP's LAN has no knowlege of my LAN and so the
packets never return.

If there was some way to use MS Proxy 2.0 so that a range if IP addresses
would not be passed on to the upstream proxy, then I believe this would fix
the problem.

BTY, If I log onto the SBS server, everything works correctly, due to the
use of the correct IP on the server, its the local workstations which have
the problem (and an IP which the ISP does not know about).

Anyone with the solution has my eternal gratitude!

Colin Richardson
Global Direction Pty Ltd
(antispamming device in email)
Sydney

2. HP 5P and 5MP Printer Questions

3. Upstream Proxy for Web Requests

4. ISDN callback/ppp callback with dialer profiles

5. Upstream web proxy not responding

6. Real Speed of GS RAM slot?

7. FYI: Trend Micro Officescan for SBS and Upstream Proxy

8. OS 2.0 to-do list

9. SBS, upstream proxy, Internet

10. invalid response from the upstream server

11. SBS2000 Proxy Problem (routing problem?)

12. Client Proxy and Proxy Server 2.0 under SBS 4.5

13. IE Use a Proxy Server set on at Logon after Proxy removed