Please help! really need help.

Post by simo » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:41:42

I have one sbs2k and c:\ drive just run out of disk space,
MTA is stopped (no mail) and could not access internet, I
am in trouble.
Here are the detail of hard disk config.:
SBS2k has a single hd and has partition as below:

c:\ local drive  2 GB ( this one is run out of space)
D:\ local drive 38 GB (has plenty of space)
Three logical dives:
E:\ Network drive (hold data)
F:\ Network drive (hold data)
R:\ Network drive (hold data)

I have only 1.02MB on the sbs2k c:\ drive and from the
event Viewer log, it say MTA is stopped because my sbs2k
C:\drive has space < 10MB.

I am new on sbs2k and my question are:

1.Where can I find the mail database? and what's file name
look like?

2.All client don't have *pst file, if I create *.pst file
for them and keep on client C:\ drive, is this will free
up the c:\ drive on the sbs2k?

3:I deleted some *.tmp and some log file but still I don't
have free space!How could I free up more space in sbs2k
c:\ drive?

4:On the Sydtem32\DTCLOG , could I delete this MSDTC.LOG ?

Any suggestion please help, how could I fix the 2GB drive?

I am in the bad situation now?

I really appreciate you input.

Best regards,
simon

Please help! really need help.

Post by Andrew Steven » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:03:08

Simon

Have you been running online Exchange backups using an Exchange aware backup
program such as Windows backup? If not, this should be the first thing you
do when you get Exchange running again. Exchange creates log files which are
not commited to the database and deleted until a backup is run. Exporting
mail to .pst files won't help, because this won't actually free space in the
database until you run an Exchange defrag on the database.

If I were you I would try to:

1. Free some space on the C: drive to get Exchange running.

The clntapps5 folder can be moved from the C: drive. This folder is over
800MB on my server, but its size will vary depending on which service packs
you have installed and what other client applications you have set-up to be
installed from the folder. Once you have moved the folder, re-share it with
the same original share name (this is clntapps5 by default) and original
permisions, so that client installations will still run correctly.

Hopefully moving this folder will give you enough space to get things
started again.

2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

3. Move the Exchange databases to one of the other drives.

Go into the SBS administrator console. Select Exchange > Servers > Server
name > First storage group > mailbox store. Right click on the mailbox store
and select properties. Click the database tab and you will be able to change
the location of the Exchange database and Exchange streaminig database by
browsing to equivalent folders on one of the other drives. Follow the same
procedure for the public folder store.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Andrew Stevens.

Quote:> I have one sbs2k and c:\ drive just run out of disk space,
> MTA is stopped (no mail) and could not access internet, I
> am in trouble.
> Here are the detail of hard disk config.:
> SBS2k has a single hd and has partition as below:

> c:\ local drive  2 GB ( this one is run out of space)
> D:\ local drive 38 GB (has plenty of space)
> Three logical dives:
> E:\ Network drive (hold data)
> F:\ Network drive (hold data)
> R:\ Network drive (hold data)

> I have only 1.02MB on the sbs2k c:\ drive and from the
> event Viewer log, it say MTA is stopped because my sbs2k
> C:\drive has space < 10MB.

> I am new on sbs2k and my question are:

> 1.Where can I find the mail database? and what's file name
> look like?

> 2.All client don't have *pst file, if I create *.pst file
> for them and keep on client C:\ drive, is this will free
> up the c:\ drive on the sbs2k?

> 3:I deleted some *.tmp and some log file but still I don't
> have free space!How could I free up more space in sbs2k
> c:\ drive?

> 4:On the Sydtem32\DTCLOG , could I delete this MSDTC.LOG ?

> Any suggestion please help, how could I fix the 2GB drive?

> I am in the bad situation now?

> I really appreciate you input.

> Best regards,
> simon

Please help! really need help.

Post by simo » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:38:30

Thank Andrew, another question on below.
I free up some space and exchange is running again, but
backup has not done yet.

2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

Do you mean the NTbackup from sbs2k will do online backup?
please explain more detail.

Regards,
simon

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Simon

>Have you been running online Exchange backups using an

Exchange aware backup
Quote:>program such as Windows backup? If not, this should be
the first thing you
>do when you get Exchange running again. Exchange creates
log files which are
>not commited to the database and deleted until a backup
is run. Exporting
>mail to .pst files won't help, because this won't

actually free space in the
Quote:>database until you run an Exchange defrag on the database.

>If I were you I would try to:

>1. Free some space on the C: drive to get Exchange
running.

>The clntapps5 folder can be moved from the C: drive. This
folder is over
>800MB on my server, but its size will vary depending on
which service packs
>you have installed and what other client applications you
have set-up to be
>installed from the folder. Once you have moved the

folder, re-share it with
Quote:>the same original share name (this is clntapps5 by

default) and original
Quote:>permisions, so that client installations will still run
correctly.

>Hopefully moving this folder will give you enough space
to get things
>started again.

>2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

>3. Move the Exchange databases to one of the other drives.

>Go into the SBS administrator console. Select Exchange >
Servers > Server
>name > First storage group > mailbox store. Right click

on the mailbox store
Quote:>and select properties. Click the database tab and you

will be able to change
Quote:>the location of the Exchange database and Exchange

streaminig database by
Quote:>browsing to equivalent folders on one of the other

drives. Follow the same
>procedure for the public folder store.

>Hope this helps,
>Regards,
>Andrew Stevens.

>> I have one sbs2k and c:\ drive just run out of disk
space,
>> MTA is stopped (no mail) and could not access internet,
>> am in trouble.
>> Here are the detail of hard disk config.:
>> SBS2k has a single hd and has partition as below:

>> c:\ local drive  2 GB ( this one is run out of space)
>> D:\ local drive 38 GB (has plenty of space)
>> Three logical dives:
>> E:\ Network drive (hold data)
>> F:\ Network drive (hold data)
>> R:\ Network drive (hold data)

>> I have only 1.02MB on the sbs2k c:\ drive and from the
>> event Viewer log, it say MTA is stopped because my sbs2k
>> C:\drive has space < 10MB.

>> I am new on sbs2k and my question are:

>> 1.Where can I find the mail database? and what's file
name
>> look like?

>> 2.All client don't have *pst file, if I create *.pst
file
>> for them and keep on client C:\ drive, is this will free
>> up the c:\ drive on the sbs2k?

>> 3:I deleted some *.tmp and some log file but still I
don't
>> have free space!How could I free up more space in sbs2k
>> c:\ drive?

>> 4:On the Sydtem32\DTCLOG , could I delete this
MSDTC.LOG ?

>> Any suggestion please help, how could I fix the 2GB
drive?

>> I am in the bad situation now?

>> I really appreciate you input.

>> Best regards,
>> simon

>.

Please help! really need help.

Post by SuperGumb » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:27:22

Simon,

    it's a brave man indeed who tries to run SBS with a 2GB C: drive. 8-10GB
is a more reasonable size.

    It sortta sounds like your Exchange database is on this PITIFULLY SMALL
partition. Can you confirm this and if so do you know how to move it to your
other drive?

> Thank Andrew, another question on below.
> I free up some space and exchange is running again, but
> backup has not done yet.

> 2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

> Do you mean the NTbackup from sbs2k will do online backup?
> please explain more detail.

> Regards,
> simon

Post by Hendrik Cannood » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:32:21

Yes, NTBackup.

http://www.smallbizserver.net/SBS/How_do_I_backup_my_server.aspx

HC

> Thank Andrew, another question on below.
> I free up some space and exchange is running again, but
> backup has not done yet.

> 2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

> Do you mean the NTbackup from sbs2k will do online backup?
> please explain more detail.

> Regards,
> simon

Post by Les Connor [SBS MVP » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:47:30

I've been setting up SBS2k with a 4 gb c: drive. They sit at about 25% free.

Most recently, on a server with ample drive space I for some unknown reason
created a 6 gb c: drive. Now I have 50% free on c:, and no use for it :-(.

I don't know if I'm a tightwad or not, but it rubs me the wrong way to see
that drive space sitting there and knowing that it will [probably] never be
put to good use.

I can't see 2 gb working at all; 4 seems to be a nice number [the way I
install]; anything over that is either gravy or a waste, whatever you want
to call it.

But wait. Perhaps the SQL server program files will make better use of a
larger_than_4_gb c:?

--
Les Connor
------------------

> Simon,

>     it's a brave man indeed who tries to run SBS with a 2GB C: drive.
8-10GB
> is a more reasonable size.

>     It sortta sounds like your Exchange database is on this PITIFULLY
SMALL
> partition. Can you confirm this and if so do you know how to move it to
your
> other drive?

> > Thank Andrew, another question on below.
> > I free up some space and exchange is running again, but
> > backup has not done yet.

> > 2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

> > Do you mean the NTbackup from sbs2k will do online backup?
> > please explain more detail.

> > Regards,
> > simon

Post by simo » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:00:08

The guy who set up that server left the co. and I
inherited the so called " no one want to touch this box".

Yes the mail dbase is on the c:\

I just printed out from Mariette site on how to move the
mail dbase and wondered! Do i have to create the folder on
another drive first like d:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata and click
browse to that folder?

Many thank for your input.

simon

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Simon,

>    it's a brave man indeed who tries to run SBS with a

2GB C: drive. 8-10GB
Quote:>is a more reasonable size.

>    It sortta sounds like your Exchange database is on

this PITIFULLY SMALL
>partition. Can you confirm this and if so do you know how
to move it to your
>other drive?

>> Thank Andrew, another question on below.
>> I free up some space and exchange is running again, but
>> backup has not done yet.

>> 2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

>> Do you mean the NTbackup from sbs2k will do online
backup?
>> please explain more detail.

>> Regards,
>> simon

Post by SuperGumb » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:09:57

25% free is approaching the limit that MS state NTFS drive performance will
degrade (ie. <20%).

I'll actually argue your case and suggest that I haven't seen a major impact
until NTFS is <15%, maybe 10%, free (at <10% your system will DEFINITELY
suffer).

If putting a new box into place you are not only looking at current OS
requirement but also upgrade requirements. SBS2K3 is months away but doesn't
actually require more space HDwise. SBS2K5? who knows? I'll waste some space
at curent GB prices.

> I've been setting up SBS2k with a 4 gb c: drive. They sit at about 25%
free.

> Most recently, on a server with ample drive space I for some unknown
reason
> created a 6 gb c: drive. Now I have 50% free on c:, and no use for it :-(.

> I don't know if I'm a tightwad or not, but it rubs me the wrong way to see
> that drive space sitting there and knowing that it will [probably] never
be
> put to good use.

> I can't see 2 gb working at all; 4 seems to be a nice number [the way I
> install]; anything over that is either gravy or a waste, whatever you want
> to call it.

> But wait. Perhaps the SQL server program files will make better use of a
> larger_than_4_gb c:?

> --
> Les Connor
> ------------------
> [SBS MVP]

> > Simon,

> >     it's a brave man indeed who tries to run SBS with a 2GB C: drive.
> 8-10GB
> > is a more reasonable size.

> >     It sortta sounds like your Exchange database is on this PITIFULLY
> SMALL
> > partition. Can you confirm this and if so do you know how to move it to
> your
> > other drive?

> > > Thank Andrew, another question on below.
> > > I free up some space and exchange is running again, but
> > > backup has not done yet.

> > > 2. Start Exchange and run an online backup.

> > > Do you mean the NTbackup from sbs2k will do online backup?
> > > please explain more detail.

> > > Regards,
> > > simon

Post by Les Connor [SBS MVP » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:42:20

Quote:>SBS2K5? who knows?

New box ;-/.

Upgrade/migrate domain to new hardware will be a one_button_touch by then,
and you'll have no control over the partitioning ;-|.

--
Les Connor
------------------

> 25% free is approaching the limit that MS state NTFS drive performance
will
> degrade (ie. <20%).

> I'll actually argue your case and suggest that I haven't seen a major
impact
> until NTFS is <15%, maybe 10%, free (at <10% your system will DEFINITELY
> suffer).

> If putting a new box into place you are not only looking at current OS
> requirement but also upgrade requirements. SBS2K3 is months away but
doesn't
> actually require more space HDwise. SBS2K5? who knows? I'll waste some
space
> at curent GB prices.

> > I've been setting up SBS2k with a 4 gb c: drive. They sit at about 25%
> free.

> > Most recently, on a server with ample drive space I for some unknown
> reason
> > created a 6 gb c: drive. Now I have 50% free on c:, and no use for it
:-(.

> > I don't know if I'm a tightwad or not, but it rubs me the wrong way to
see
> > that drive space sitting there and knowing that it will [probably] never
> be
> > put to good use.

> > I can't see 2 gb working at all; 4 seems to be a nice number [the way I
> > install]; anything over that is either gravy or a waste, whatever you
want
> > to call it.

> > But wait. Perhaps the SQL server program files will make better use of a
> > larger_than_4_gb c:?

> > --
> > Les Connor
> > ------------------
> > [SBS MVP]

> > > Simon,

> > >     it's a brave man indeed who tries to run SBS with a 2GB C: drive.
> > 8-10GB
> > > is a more reasonable size.

> > >     It sortta sounds like your Exchange database is on this PITIFULLY
> > SMALL
> > > partition. Can you confirm this and if so do you know how to move it
> > your
> > > other drive?

Post by Andrew Steven » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:01:40

Simon

I am not sure if you *have* to create the folder on the D: drive first, but
I would recommend doing so. I would also go with what other people have said
that the C: partition is pitifully small and will be something you want to
address as soon as you are confident you have the server in a stable state.

Regards,
Andrew Stevens.

> The guy who set up that server left the co. and I
> inherited the so called " no one want to touch this box".

> Yes the mail dbase is on the c:\

> I just printed out from Mariette site on how to move the
> mail dbase and wondered! Do i have to create the folder on
> another drive first like d:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata and click
> browse to that folder?

> Many thank for your input.

> simon

1. Really Need Help Please

Does anyone at all know how to remove a hyperlink from a title field?  I
urgently need to remove a hyperlink from a field that is being displayed.

It is a Custum list and that list only has one field called catagory.
Everytime it is displayed the catagory name is Underlined.

The problem is this:

I have a List of over 500 links called Website Links
I have a custom list called Catagory
The Websites Links List uses the catagory List as a lookup field
When I display The website Links list The lookup field Catagory is
Hyperlinked.

I need to remove that Hyperlink ....Please anyone have any Idea how to do
this?

Thanks

2. Is this quad shield RG6?

3. HELP: I Really Need Ur Help, Quickly.

4. mac autocad

5. Chris,Hal,Mariette HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

6. How to launch another app?

7. Please Please need help with Exchange!!!!!!!!!

8. Browsing Web Returns List of Files Instead of Home Page

9. I would really like some help please I'm going ISA DNS mad

10. I really need help here...

11. HELP on DNS really needed

12. !!! Really need help troubleshooting package distribution to secondary site

13. SMS Help really needed