To the wise and for the curious...

Post by Robert S » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Why is that a NIC on W2K set to half-duplex at 10 Mbps connected through a
dual speed hub to a SBS 4.5 100 Mbps NIC makes copying 3-5MB files
practically * impossible *?!?! The Performance monitor on the SBS registers
only * sporadic * activity with the Server Transmitted/Received/Traffic
lines. The additional twist: I was watching the performance monitor via
NetMeeting running on the W2K involved in the copying! Yet, setting the NIC
on the W2K to full duplex makes the network buzz happily at 90-100%
utilization... Any words of wisdom as to the half-duplex behavior? Any
points of reference would be equally appreciated.

 - Robert.

PS: The SBS4.5 has 128MB, IDE HD, 1 user, and all services but modems,
running.

To the wise and for the curious...

Post by Robert S » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Right, I use a hub and not a switch... However, it is the half-duplex
setting that doesn't work! (Reread my post.) What's perplexing is that not
the full-duplex but the half-duplex causes only the copying to slow down to
rare spikes as shown on the performance monitor... Can this be a W2K
software component (like a driver) related? By the way, the W2K client has
3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI (just as the SBS) that I set to the different
settings to approximate specific network speeds.

 - Robert.

Post by Jim Behni » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Why is that a NIC on W2K set to half-duplex at 10 Mbps connected through a
>dual speed hub to a SBS 4.5 100 Mbps NIC makes copying 3-5MB files
>practically * impossible *?!?! The Performance monitor on the SBS registers
>only * sporadic * activity with the Server Transmitted/Received/Traffic
>lines. The additional twist: I was watching the performance monitor via
>NetMeeting running on the W2K involved in the copying! Yet, setting the NIC
>on the W2K to full duplex makes the network buzz happily at 90-100%
>utilization... Any words of wisdom as to the half-duplex behavior? Any
>points of reference would be equally appreciated.

> - Robert.

>PS: The SBS4.5 has 128MB, IDE HD, 1 user, and all services but modems,
>running.

Is it possible that when the nic is runing full duplex it is able to
say "Give me more I got that(TX)," without waiting for the receive
(RX) to finish and that lets it run faster?

Jim B.

Post by Mal Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You are connected to a duel speed hub, not a switch, right? In that case,
full duplex should not work at all!  Full duplex requires a switch.  If
everything is working properly, the performance differance between full and
half duplex should be minimal, probably unnoticeable.

Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa

Quote:> Why is that a NIC on W2K set to half-duplex at 10 Mbps connected through a
> dual speed hub to a SBS 4.5 100 Mbps NIC makes copying 3-5MB files
> practically * impossible *?!?! The Performance monitor on the SBS
registers
> only * sporadic * activity with the Server Transmitted/Received/Traffic
> lines. The additional twist: I was watching the performance monitor via
> NetMeeting running on the W2K involved in the copying! Yet, setting the
NIC
> on the W2K to full duplex makes the network buzz happily at 90-100%
> utilization... Any words of wisdom as to the half-duplex behavior? Any
> points of reference would be equally appreciated.

>  - Robert.

> PS: The SBS4.5 has 128MB, IDE HD, 1 user, and all services but modems,
> running.

To the wise and for the curious...

Post by Mal Osborn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I read the post.  Full Duplex should NOT work through a Hub!  Sounds like
the driver is confusing full and half duplex, flipping a bit somehow.  Try
hooking up a switch, and see if half duplex works.  You could set up some
batch files to copy to and from a RAM disk.  With traffic both ways at 10Mb
you would see a difference under performance monitor

--
Mal Osborne
MCSE Mensa

> Right, I use a hub and not a switch... However, it is the half-duplex
> setting that doesn't work! (Reread my post.) What's perplexing is that not
> the full-duplex but the half-duplex causes only the copying to slow down
> rare spikes as shown on the performance monitor... Can this be a W2K
> software component (like a driver) related? By the way, the W2K client has
> 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI (just as the SBS) that I set to the different
> settings to approximate specific network speeds.

>  - Robert.

> > You are connected to a duel speed hub, not a switch, right? In that
case,
> > full duplex should not work at all!  Full duplex requires a switch.  If
> > everything is working properly, the performance differance between full
> and
> > half duplex should be minimal, probably unnoticeable.

> > Mal Osborne
> > MCSE Mensa

> > > Why is that a NIC on W2K set to half-duplex at 10 Mbps connected
through
> > > dual speed hub to a SBS 4.5 100 Mbps NIC makes copying 3-5MB files
> > > practically * impossible *?!?! The Performance monitor on the SBS
> > registers
> > > only * sporadic * activity with the Server

Transmitted/Received/Traffic

Quote:> > > lines. The additional twist: I was watching the performance monitor
via
> > > NetMeeting running on the W2K involved in the copying! Yet, setting
the
> > NIC
> > > on the W2K to full duplex makes the network buzz happily at 90-100%
> > > utilization... Any words of wisdom as to the half-duplex behavior? Any
> > > points of reference would be equally appreciated.

> > >  - Robert.

> > > PS: The SBS4.5 has 128MB, IDE HD, 1 user, and all services but modems,
> > > running.

To the wise and for the curious...

Post by Robert S » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I see your statement about the Full Duplex being supported by switches and
not by hubs. I don't dispute this one bit. However, what I see is quite out
of sync with this or most of other expectations... Anyway, I left the
hardware alone after thinking about the behavior and now you are confirming
my choice. It is impossible for the network hardware to slow down the copy
process yet keep other functions (like the NetMeeting) responsive - it must
be the software... (I got enlightened with the morning sun....) The twist:
it worked, more or less, in all settings! (All tests were monitored by the
SBS/NT performance monitor tool showing network traffic...)

 - Robert.

PS: Wouldn't you expect the dual-speed hubs to be switches when it comes to
the 10-100 conversion itself?

> I read the post.  Full Duplex should NOT work through a Hub!  Sounds like
> the driver is confusing full and half duplex, flipping a bit somehow.  Try
> hooking up a switch, and see if half duplex works.  You could set up some
> batch files to copy to and from a RAM disk.  With traffic both ways at
10Mb
> you would see a difference under performance monitor

> --
> Mal Osborne
> MCSE Mensa

> > Right, I use a hub and not a switch... However, it is the half-duplex
> > setting that doesn't work! (Reread my post.) What's perplexing is that
not
> > the full-duplex but the half-duplex causes only the copying to slow down
> > rare spikes as shown on the performance monitor... Can this be a W2K
> > software component (like a driver) related? By the way, the W2K client
has
> > 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI (just as the SBS) that I set to the
different
> > settings to approximate specific network speeds.

> >  - Robert.

> > > You are connected to a duel speed hub, not a switch, right? In that
> case,
> > > full duplex should not work at all!  Full duplex requires a switch.
If
> > > everything is working properly, the performance differance between
full
> > and
> > > half duplex should be minimal, probably unnoticeable.

> > > Mal Osborne
> > > MCSE Mensa

> through
> > > registers
> Transmitted/Received/Traffic
> via
> the
> > > NIC
Any

1. Curious about event warning

I've managed to get my server (sbs4.5 sp6a) to boot cleanly, with no errors
in the event log, but i'm still getting this warning.

event id 9502
source Nwlnklpx

A SAP announcement was sent over \Device\Nwlnklpx which is configured for
multiple networks, but no internal network is configured. This may prevent
machines on some networks from locating the advertised service.

2. Social security computer confused

3. Curious Server Rebooting problem....

4. A SUGGESTION ON HOW TO RESTORE ELECTRIC POWER AND OTHER UTILITIES

5. curious error

6. HELP With 2X Cd-Rom

7. Curious -- little email virus activty

8. Is There An Automated Way To Convert A Well-structured XML File T o Its Corresponding Tables In A MySQL Database ?

9. Just curious actually - Shared FAX Service

10. Curious Problem

11. Curious RRAS VPN thing - solved but I'm wondering about it

12. Another curious event log message

13. Curious about Contract Rates for SBS (five users) ???