ISP connect with modem and dynamic IP Adress fails

ISP connect with modem and dynamic IP Adress fails

Post by peter elsne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi together,

after setup SBS I have to learn that only one DHCP Server will be
running in a net with SBS. ... OK
I changed the IP Adress to the area I used in my net.. OK it seems to be
wrong.
must it be 10.0.0.2 for the SBS as I read here?

I made a second install from scrash in a stand alone enviroment and
changed nothing.The problems are still the same.

Now my real problem:
I tried to get email from my ISP. SMTP upload and POP3 download wount
work.
I have to learn that I have to use third party products like pullmail
for POP3.. OK

I tried to install and get a connection to my ISP but after a few
seconds the connection will break due to a protokoll error.

I guess that I have to get an dynamic IP Adress from my ISP and SBS will
not support dynamic adresses from another DHCP even from an ISP when I
try to connect. True?

If yes: how can I solve the problem?

if no: What the hell has been wrong in my installation?
I installed a Dial-out Network with the Wizard; I tried to do it alone
for a few time. I couldn't see any mistake.
I can connect to the ISP via Dial-Out Network he will test the User and
Password and then break the line.

In a Window95 setup it will work with pullmail within a few minutes. No
problems. With SBS I think I'm to stupit for the job.
Where can I get some information about connecting SBS to an ISP via
Dial-Out Network to get email etc?

Help would be appreciated.

ISP connect with modem and dynamic IP Adress fails

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Peter
You have posed many questions here.

Basically, SBS will setup the network correctly if you just do the install as directed and not change anything afterwards.  Yes there can only be one DHCP Server per SBS and 10.0.0.2 is the address reserved for the Server

Are you using a regular dial up analog modem to connect to your ISP?  or are you using ISDN Router or Cable Modem or some other high speed access method?

Exchange does not support pulling down POP3 mail and distributing it.  If pop3 mail is really what you want you should consider looking at the products from www.exemplarsoftware.com  They have a POP to Exchange Connector that will allow you to pull down mail from multiple accounts.  They also have an SMTP to Exchange connector which will bring SMTP held by your ISP to your Exchange Server even with a Dynamic IP.  Otherwise you must have a Static IP to get SMTP mail from your ISP.

Think you should look at the following site and should help
http://www.microsoft.com/backofficesmallbiz/guide/ispconnectivity.asp...

Cris Hanna, BS, MCP

[...]

Post by Jim Seymo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Now my real problem:
>I tried to get email from my ISP. SMTP upload and POP3 download wount
>work.
>I have to learn that I have to use third party products like pullmail
>for POP3.. OK

For a list of third party solutions to the POP3 problem, check out:
http://www.cipher.com/pop.html

--
-Jim Seymour.  For a summary of the issues re: POP mail retrieval when
 using Microsoft Exchange, please visit http://www.cipher.com/pop.html

ISP connect with modem and dynamic IP Adress fails

Post by peter elsne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Cris,

it seems to call my ISP and get POP3 mail after putting my hands onto
the proxy server.
does this could be?

I put the SBS as a stand alone maschine and used it as server and client
for testing purposes.
after trying to setup the proxy server and loging into SBS installing
the proxy client he is able to dial out and connect to the ISP showing
an internal IP 10.3.1.1 and the one getting from the ISP DHCP.

So I can use pullmail or popbeamer and my email will be coming down
putting into the right exchange server mailboxes.

Well, after that I've another question.

a) is it possible that my problem was the proxy server? ( if I remember,
I got an error msg during installing the SBS saying something is wrong
with proxy and cache. After that I ignored the msg and the proxy
server.)

next one:

b) I'm not able to send mail with SMTP. I can see the msg pending in the
outbound but it wount be sent.

brackets after the name something like network resolution error ( I
haven't  the details right now ) does this mean he could not find the
way how to route the msg to the ISP?

c) after getting a connect calling from the exchange server to the ISP I
have seen an  error msg like:
    502 Server does not support AUTH

so I changed the config in ICM for authorization and got     nothing :-)

I thought I have to setup my dial in (User, PWD) in Dial out Network
setup and the authorization ( User, PWD, my.Mail.domain ) for the mail
into the ICM setup but then I get the above error msg.

Cris I read in
http://www.microsoft.com/backofficesmallbiz/guide/ispconnectivity.asp...

on page 6 " Issues with Dynamic IP adressing "
" Unless your ISP is unusually creativ, the reasonable solution to this
dilemma are a fixed IP address, or an SBS compliant ISP"

That's the point I will try to explain to myself. Does it mean that if I
can't get an fixed IP address I 've to call to an ISP who has NT based
maschines running if I want to get SMTP mail routed from the ISP? ( or
using 3rd party programms for getting POP3 mail and routed SMTP mail )

 Thats what you want to say with your sentence:>They also have an SMTP
to Exchange connector which will bring SMTP held by your ISP to your
Exchange Server even with a Dynamic IP.  >Otherwise you must have a
Static IP to get SMTP mail from your ISP.

OK but why can't I route my mail off the outbound to the ISP? Is there a
similar trap in SBS? Or is it a config mistake?
If yes: where I have to look for? In exchange ICM ?
How can I explain the above error msg ?
 something off topic

I think I havn't got how it works (SBS with Exchange, Proxy, RAS )  I
thought I can use SBS, Exchange, RAS in a stand alone and only use Proxy
together with IIS if I will be online to the web. I guess there are a
lot of traps I can go in :-(

Is there any paper outside which explain how SBS works (with traps)
together with the other parts of it?  spezific the limitations of the
product?

Basically, SBS will setup the network correctly if you just do the
install as directed and not change anything afterwards

That's it. after one hour running for itself the maschine is ready and
I've no idea what all has been done and where I've to look what all has
been done and connected to each other. That piece of paper coming with
SBS  could be put under the table. It isn't worse the paper printed on.

You asked me :

Quote:>Are you using a regular dial up analog modem to connect to your ISP?

I'm using for testing  a normal dial up analog modem.
What's the reason for your question ? Are there some problems with this
type of modem ( or better with ISDN (T1) connections? )

Bye Peter

Quote:>  PeterYou have posed many questions here. Basically, SBS will setup