This is a very similar problem to that which I had.
I have a new Dell PowerEdge 2300 with an Adaptec AIC 7890 SCSI LVD interface
for the hard drives and an Adaptec AIC 7860 SCSI for CD's and tape.
Unfortunately, these are so new that MS hasn't put the drivers on the CD,
and as far as I can work out no other drivers are compatible. The solution
is as follows :
1. Create a blank 2Gb Ms-DOS compatible partition and set it as the primary
2. Format the partition using FAT16 (not FAT 32 as I found to my cost)
3. Copy the Adaptec drivers onto a blank floppy.
4. Start the SBS install from the setup disks (by the way I think you'll be
giving yourself a lot of problems installing over NT4.0)
5. As soon as you see the blue SBS screen press F6. SBS will get into disk
2 before it asks you for any drivers, if it goes into disk 3 without showing
the additional driver screen then you weren't quick enough with the F6 key.
6. Choose S (I think) to add additional drivers, select others, and put your
SCSI driver disk in. Make sure (if you're loading more than one driver)
that you select the hard disk controller driver first and add others later.
7. Continue the install as usual (there will be a lot of swapping between
disk 2 and 3).
8. SBS will reboot, and will then hang when it can't find the drivers you
selected. Press Esc to skip the files it can't find. SBS will then
continue to install and copy files.
9. SBS will reboot again, and if you let it will crash with a blue screen
and lots ... of error messages.
10. Reboot the system using a DOS (or Win 95) disk, go to the Dos prompt and
copy all the drivers you need from the floppy you prepared earlier to
11. Remove you're floppy disk and reboot.
12. Continue as usual.
Hope this helps,
Daniel S. Harris
N. Bloom & Son (1912) Ltd
>I'm trying to install sbs over NT 4.0 sp3 and I'm having problems with my
>Adaptec 7890 controller. While loading the first disk I press F6 to load
>other drivers " Adaptec 7890 controller" and it seems to work fine. Until
>after it loading the third diskette when it starts loading off of the CD it
>asks me for the " Adaptec 7890 controller" again. This time it only looks
>for the drivers on the sbs cd and of course doesn't find them. The only
>choices I have is to press enter to retry, escape to skip, or F3 to exit.
>tried to put a diskette in however it just repeats the message. I also
>to skip the files hoping it will prompt me for the supplemental disk but it
>doesn't. And when I do skip the files it loads all the rest of the sbs
>and reboots. After the posting it results in the blue screen of
>Can anyone help me.....Please