NT 4.0 to SBS (Problems)

Post by Stephen Statire » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install sbs over nt 4.0 sp3 and I'm having problems with my
Adaptec 7890 controller.  While loading the first disk I press F6 to load
other drivers " Adaptec 7890 controller"  and it seems to work fine.  Until
after it loading the third diskette when it starts loading off of the CD it
asks me for the " Adaptec 7890 controller"  again.  This time it only looks
for the drivers on the sbs cd and of course doesn't find them.  The only
choices I have is to press enter to retry, escape to skip, or F3 to exit.  I
tried to put a diskette in however it just repeats the message. I also tried
to skip the files hoping it will prompt me for the supplemental disk but it
doesn't. And when I do skip the files it loads all the rest of the sbs files
and reboots.  After the posting it results in the blue screen of death......
Can anyone help me.....Please

NT 4.0 to SBS (Problems)

Post by Ernest W. Hetric » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

First off, you should start with a clean (read FDISK / Formatted) hard
drive and NOT overtop of existing NT server. If that doesn't fix the
problem, consider this:

Everything on my brand new server was HCL cool.  But, the Intel
EtherExpress PRO/100B NIC, the Adaptec 7895 SCSI & Creative Labs sound
cards all came integrated on the motherboard! The full NT Server setup
recognized everything fine when loading with additional driver floppy
disks, but when loading the machine (after wiping the HDD) with SBS, I had
the same problem you are having.  F6 loaded the OEM drivers, but the CD
crashed it later.

My ugly solution which requires a custom CD:

1.  Copy the SBS install floppies.  Find the appropriate driver off of your
OEM floppies.  Copy it over top the same driver on these new SBS floppies
(you may have to rename it to something similar).

2.  Copy the entire SBS CD #1 onto a hard drive, and then copy the OEM
driver over top of the same driver files on the CD.  This driver will be in
two places, something like \drvlib & \I386\drvlib. I doubt if both are used
for install, but overwriting both eliminates guesswork.  Cut the new HDD
copy back onto CD.  Obviously this part requires a CD-R.

3.  Re-run the install with your custom floppies & CD & presto! success.

Quote:> This time it only looks
> for the drivers on the sbs cd and of course doesn't find them.  The only
> choices I have is to press enter to retry, escape to skip, or F3 to exit.

<

NT 4.0 to SBS (Problems)

Post by Daniel S. Harri » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Stephen,

This is a very similar problem to that which I had.

I have a new Dell PowerEdge 2300 with an Adaptec AIC 7890 SCSI LVD interface
for the hard drives and an Adaptec AIC 7860 SCSI for CD's and tape.
Unfortunately, these are so new that MS hasn't put the drivers on the CD,
and as far as I can work out no other drivers are compatible.  The solution
is as follows :

1. Create a blank 2Gb Ms-DOS compatible partition and set it as the  primary
active partition.

2. Format the partition using FAT16 (not FAT 32 as I found to my cost)

3. Copy the Adaptec drivers onto a blank floppy.

4. Start the SBS install from the setup disks (by the way I think you'll be
giving yourself a lot of problems installing over NT4.0)

5. As soon as you see the  blue SBS screen press F6.  SBS will get into disk
2 before it asks you for any drivers, if it goes into disk 3 without showing
the additional driver screen then you weren't quick enough with the F6 key.

6. Choose S (I think) to add additional drivers, select others, and put your
SCSI driver disk in.  Make sure (if you're loading more than one driver)
that you select the hard disk controller driver first and add others later.

7. Continue the install as usual (there will be a lot of swapping between
disk 2 and 3).

8. SBS will reboot, and will then hang when it can't find the drivers you
selected.  Press Esc to skip the files it can't find.  SBS will then
continue to install and copy files.

9. SBS will reboot again, and if you let it will crash with a blue screen
and lots ... of error messages.

10. Reboot the system using a DOS (or Win 95) disk, go to the Dos prompt and
copy all the drivers you need from the floppy you prepared earlier to
C:\winnt.sbs\system32\drivers

11.  Remove you're floppy disk and reboot.

12. Continue as usual.

Hope this helps,

Daniel S. Harris

N. Bloom & Son (1912) Ltd

>I'm trying to install sbs over NT 4.0 sp3 and I'm having problems with my
>Adaptec 7890 controller.  While loading the first disk I press F6 to load
>other drivers " Adaptec 7890 controller"  and it seems to work fine.  Until
>after it loading the third diskette when it starts loading off of the CD it
>asks me for the " Adaptec 7890 controller"  again.  This time it only looks
>for the drivers on the sbs cd and of course doesn't find them.  The only
>choices I have is to press enter to retry, escape to skip, or F3 to exit.
>tried to put a diskette in however it just repeats the message. I also
tried
>to skip the files hoping it will prompt me for the supplemental disk but it
>doesn't. And when I do skip the files it loads all the rest of the sbs
files
>and reboots.  After the posting it results in the blue screen of
death......
>Can anyone help me.....Please

1. NT 4.0 to SBS (problems

I'm trying to install sbs over nt 4.0 sp3 and I'm having problems with my
Adaptec 7890 controller.  While loading the first disk I press F6 to load
other drivers " Adaptec 7890 controller"  and it seems to work fine.  Until
after it loading the third diskette when it starts loading off of the CD it
asks me for the " Adaptec 7890 controller"  again.  This time it only looks
for the drivers on the sbs cd and of course doesn't find them.  The only
choices I have is to press enter to retry, escape to skip, or F3 to exit.  I
tried to put a diskette in however it just repeats the message. I also tried
to skip the files hoping it will prompt me for the supplemental disk but it
doesn't. And when I do skip the files it loads all the rest of the sbs files
and reboots.  After the posting it results in the blue screen of death......
Can anyone help me.....Please

2. Backing up networked PC's to AS/400 data cartridge

3. SBS 4.0 upgrade to NT 4.0 license problem

4. A4000 and SCSI Controllers...

5. SBS 4.0 Faxserver + Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (German)

6. Where'd the SPAM go?

7. HELP! UPGRADING NT SERVER 4.0 TO SBS 4.0

8. FS: Brother HL10V/DV/PS/DPS 6 Meg Memory Expansion Board

9. SBS 4.0 + NT SERVER 4.0 PDC. Two Domains.

10. Is it adviceble to change from NT Server 4.0 and Exchange Server 4.0 to SBS?

11. UPGRADING NT SERVER 4.0 TO SBS 4.0

12. Problem with multiuser Access 2000 databse on NT 4.0/SBS 4.5

13. SBS 4.0 and NT server replicate problem