novice questions SBS/Exchange and Outlook98

novice questions SBS/Exchange and Outlook98

Post by Richard Cleme » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I'm fairly new to SBS (well actually I'm new to NT and Exchange. I
know it seems odd that someone could live without using MS products
for years :-)) )
I've managed to switch my entire LAN (server and clients) to SBS and
NT WS. So now I have a few questions and I hope that someone can point
me in the right direction:

We're using SBS/Exchange with Outlook98 clients. As a newsreader I'm
using a 3rd party product but I'd like to use Exchange as my News
Server and Outlook Express as my clients in order to read news
OFFLINE.
Is there a description somewhere of how to setup Exchange so it
retrieves News from one or more of the news servers in the internet,
(like automatically retrieve all new headers at night) and then have
the individual clients to retrieve only those messages they're
interested in? Both, headers and message bodies should be stored on
the Exchange server though.

Another question (which might sound dumm but as I said: I'm new in the
MS world):
How can I setup additional GLOBAL addressbooks in Exchange and
Outlook?
What I want to achieve is to store all external adresses like business
partners eMail partners etc. in a new addressbook which should be
accessible by all users in our LAN (all are using SBS/Exchange and
Outlook 98 clients)

Please don't respond RTMF. I have searched all the online docs but
couldn't find any reference to how to setup new global address books
:-((

Thanks
Richard

novice questions SBS/Exchange and Outlook98

Post by Michel Bordelea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A couple of places you can look

MSKB Q177560: Cannot Connect to Mail or News Servers w/ Outlook
(http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/5/60.asp)

MS TechPaper: Connection Microsoft Exchange Server to the Internet
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/guide/papers/connecttointernet.asp has a
section on Newsfeeds starting on Page 9.

An old CompuServe post from Grey Lancaster stated:

"You can use Exchange server to DL the newsgroups to your server then
outlook users can view the newsgroup as a public folder locally.  To do this
in Exchange Admin under file, do new other.  And pick new newsgroup.  Follow
the wizards defaults except the page that says how you get the newsfeed and
it says something (common) pick the one below it that says 'Pull'."

Good luck

Michel Bordeleau (MVP-SBS, ClubWin Team4 Captain)
IS Manager
Healthcare Information Technologies

http://www.hit-teleservice.com
(514) 932-3232

Quote:>Hi,

>I'm fairly new to SBS (well actually I'm new to NT and Exchange. I
>know it seems odd that someone could live without using MS products
>for years :-)) )
>I've managed to switch my entire LAN (server and clients) to SBS and
>NT WS. So now I have a few questions and I hope that someone can point
>me in the right direction:

>We're using SBS/Exchange with Outlook98 clients. As a newsreader I'm
>using a 3rd party product but I'd like to use Exchange as my News
>Server and Outlook Express as my clients in order to read news
>OFFLINE.
>Is there a description somewhere of how to setup Exchange so it
>retrieves News from one or more of the news servers in the internet,
>(like automatically retrieve all new headers at night) and then have
>the individual clients to retrieve only those messages they're
>interested in? Both, headers and message bodies should be stored on
>the Exchange server though.

>Another question (which might sound dumm but as I said: I'm new in the
>MS world):
>How can I setup additional GLOBAL addressbooks in Exchange and
>Outlook?
>What I want to achieve is to store all external adresses like business
>partners eMail partners etc. in a new addressbook which should be
>accessible by all users in our LAN (all are using SBS/Exchange and
>Outlook 98 clients)

>Please don't respond RTMF. I have searched all the online docs but
>couldn't find any reference to how to setup new global address books
>:-((

>Thanks
>Richard

novice questions SBS/Exchange and Outlook98

Post by John Nels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz and a
copy was sent to the cited author.]

says...

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm fairly new to SBS (well actually I'm new to NT and Exchange. I
> know it seems odd that someone could live without using MS products
> for years :-)) )
> I've managed to switch my entire LAN (server and clients) to SBS and
> NT WS. So now I have a few questions and I hope that someone can point
> me in the right direction:

> We're using SBS/Exchange with Outlook98 clients. As a newsreader I'm
> using a 3rd party product but I'd like to use Exchange as my News
> Server and Outlook Express as my clients in order to read news
> OFFLINE.

This is pretty straightforward, actually. It is all done from the
Exchange Server Administrator program. Use the "pull" option to get the
messages to your Exchange Server (that's one the didn't document). Point
Exchange at your favorite news server and go to town.

Quote:> Is there a description somewhere of how to setup Exchange so it
> retrieves News from one or more of the news servers in the internet,
> (like automatically retrieve all new headers at night) and then have
> the individual clients to retrieve only those messages they're
> interested in? Both, headers and message bodies should be stored on
> the Exchange server though.

It IS in the documentation, and it works just as you envision it.

One warning though. Depending on the volume of the newsgroups you will
subscribe to, it may be a significant burden to your Exchange Server.

Quote:

> Another question (which might sound dumm but as I said: I'm new in the
> MS world):
> How can I setup additional GLOBAL addressbooks in Exchange and
> Outlook?

Also in TFM. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

From Outlook, try:

File-New-Folder, give it a name, select "contact items" from the "folder
contains" list, and create it in the Public Folders area. Yes, it really
is just that simple.

--
John Nelson
Microsoft MVP

novice questions SBS/Exchange and Outlook98

Post by Gerald Kee » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> How can I setup additional GLOBAL addressbooks in Exchange and
> Outlook?
> What I want to achieve is to store all external adresses like business
> partners eMail partners etc. in a new addressbook which should be
> accessible by all users in our LAN (all are using SBS/Exchange and
> Outlook 98 clients)

There are two ways to do this.

A.      the Administrator can add contacts to the Global Address List (GAL)
through the server.  The GAL is available to all Outlook clients on the
Network and is also turned into an off-line address book for remote users
to have when not networked up.  By default it contains all the SBS network
users' internal email addresses but one can add external contacts to this.
i.      On the server go to start - progams - microsoft exchange (common) -
microsoft exchange administrator.
ii.     Click on Recipients folder (you should see all network users' names
listed on right hand side of window)
iii.    In the tool bar on the top right side of the window click on the icon
that looks like a globe with a star flash beside it.  It is called New
Custom Recipient.
iv.     Make your choices and continue from there.

The disadvantages to this route are that it can only be done on the server
through the administrator log-on.  Also it means that all internal email
addresses and all your business contacts are all jumbled up together in one
address book.

B.      The administrator (or anyone else actually) sets up a Public Folder
containing contacts which is published around the network by Exchange
Server to those set up to see it.  Once the Folder is set up and the
clients are set up to see it then everyone can read, edit, delete each
entry depending on the permissions set up by the Folder's creator (hence
its best for the administrator to do this).  The following instructions on
how to do this are courtesy of someone else - I would love to credit them
here but I cannot find their name.  Anyway they put this up on some web
site and I used it and it works.  I have added/edited a few bits.

Set Up On Server
i.      Using Outlook on your server (logged in as Administrator) press the
Folder List icon in the tool bar.
ii.     At the bottom of the folder lists you will see Public Folders.  Press
the plus sign to expand it and select All Public Folders.
iii.    Right mouse click on this folder and select Create Sub-Folder from the
drop down menu
iv.     Enter a name for the folder.  Don't use "Contacts" as this will confuse
everyone with their own contacts folder.  I have several folders with
specific names such as FAR EAST OFFICE and SUPPLIERS etc.
v.      For the Folder Contains bit, change this to Contact Items.
vi.     Make your choice about adding a shortcut to the Outlook bar then press
OK
vii.    When the new folder appears in the Folder List, select it and right
click the mouse.
viii.   Select Properties at the bottom of the drop down menu.
ix.     Select the Outlook Address Book tab.  Make sure  Show this folder as an
e-mail address book is checked.
x.      If you have exchange clients (as compared to Outlook clients) make sure
the automatically generate exchange client views is checked in the General
Tab.
xi.     Select Permissions Tab.  Set up your permissions here.  I generally
have the Default to be Author.
xii.    You don't need to change any of the other tabs but have a look at them
to see what else can be done (eg moderated folder).
xiii.   Select OK to this Properties Menu.

Set Up On Client
i.      In Outlook go to Tools - Services or from Control Panel select the Mail
(& Fax) icon.
ii.     Select Addressing Tab.
iii.    In the lower part of the resultant settings box click on the Add
button.  Scroll down the list that pops up until you see the contact Folder
you just make on the server and select it and then hit Add button.
iv.     If you need to, move this Folder up or down the list of address books
to specify the order the various different address books will be checked.
v.      When you're done hit OK.

The END.

Addendum.  You will notice that when using address books all contacts are
listed by first name, then second.  This is a pain that can be rectified.
To do so go to the most excellent Slipstick.com web site run by Sue Mosher.
 The specific link is http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/olforms/ordcont.htm
Here you will find instructions on how to sort this out plus tons of other
goodies for Outlook / Exchange

Hope this helps.

GERRY

1. Novice question on SMS

Hi,

I've just discovered SMS and would like to create "scripts"
or "templates" to push install automatically some softwares on clients
such as Peachtree, acrobat and some DOS applications.

I'm running an SBS 4,5 box and most of the clients are windows 2000.

Is there some URL that someone can send me to start learning how all of
that work.

Thank you

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Event ID 5782

3. a novice question - samba

4. <<<Verbatim CD-R 99 cents each>>>

5. A novice questions.

6. All-in-one graphics controler?

7. Novice SAMBA user has question on sharing...

8. how to install HP/UX runtime Support 9.01

9. novice samba question

10. Novice question

11. Novice on Exchange Requests Assistance

12. exchange client setup on outlook98

13. Client licence prblem between Outlook98 & Exchange 5.5