SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

Post by Bob Wilkerson, Jr » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm running SBS 4.0a and have configured a couple of users to use a shared
modem to dial out for their Internet Access using their personal accounts.
Appears to connect fine: DUN window comes up and connects to their ISP.
However, when I watch them connect, the shared modem lights up, connects,
etc.  Then the server dials out to our ISP, connects and then handles the
access to the internet.  If I kill the shared modem connection the user can
keep on running without any problems.  The DUN connection is still showing
on users screen with the only note being in the shared modem status window.
I've set the internet options in IE to modem access, verified that it is not
checked off in the Use Proxy box,  run the connection wizard with new dialup
info, etc.

This is a real problem as this uses both my lines and blocks incoming faxes.
Plus our ISP has charges for additional hours that equated to an additional
$300 last month.

SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

Post by Grey Lancaster [SBS Solutions » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If you are trying to use shared modems instead of proxy you should uninstal
the proxy client on the WS and asl uncheck dial on demand in the proxy auo
dial config at the server
--
Grey, MVP SBS

SBS WebBoard http://www.smallbizserver.com/webboard/webboard.dll/~1
http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/sbs.htm SBS Website, common answers

SUBSCRIBE in the body of the message

This is not intended to replace this group, just supplement it.  Sometimes
these newsgroups are very slow at accepting posts.

~

Quote:> I'm running SBS 4.0a and have configured a couple of users to use a
shared
> modem to dial out for their Internet Access using their personal
accounts.
> Appears to connect fine: DUN window comes up and connects to their ISP.
> However, when I watch them connect, the shared modem lights up, connects,
> etc.  Then the server dials out to our ISP, connects and then handles the
> access to the internet.  If I kill the shared modem connection the user
can
> keep on running without any problems.  The DUN connection is still
showing
> on users screen with the only note being in the shared modem status
window.
> I've set the internet options in IE to modem access, verified that it is
not
> checked off in the Use Proxy box,  run the connection wizard with new
dialup
> info, etc.

> This is a real problem as this uses both my lines and blocks incoming
faxes.
> Plus our ISP has charges for additional hours that equated to an
additional
> $300 last month.

1. Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

We have 2 USR external modems on our SBS.  The modem sharing pool
contains both modems.  We are also use Proxy Server to dial into our
ISP.

Both work fine as long on the other is not using a modem.  In other
words, Modem sharing will use COM1 modem to dial out, and then the
second client that requests modem get COM2 and all works fine.

Proxy server automatically uses DUN entry and dial outs using COM1 when
a user requestes a internet page.

When proxy is connected using COM1, then if another user tries to use a
shared modem the request fails, because modem sharing appears to be
trying to use COM1.

How can we make modem sharing automatcially use COM2 if Proxy is using
COM1?

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Philips CDD3610 problem

3. Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

4. Frame Question

5. Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

6. Userenv and SceCli errors

7. Modem Sharing: Modem pools not visible on client ports

8. DB60 to RJ45 Adaptor

9. Shared Modem - modem not functional on client pc

10. Shared modem service & shared fax service

11. Can Modem Sharing share other serial devices?

12. Modem Sharing: Can't access server modem from Client

13. Modem sharing 4 modem limit?