novice needs advice

Post by Anthony Lauzo » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 01:36:00

I recently purchased a computer which uses NT 4 Server as the OS. Every time
it boots up I get this message from the Service Control Mgr.: "at least one
service or driver failed during system startup."  In the Event Viewer the
error reads "the Computer Browser service depends on the Server service
which failed to start because of the following error: a device attached to
the system is not functioning." Unfortunately I know nothing about NT Server
but was wondering if there is some wonderfully simple fix to this problem.
The Server icon in the Control Panel tells me the server service has not
been started and asks me if I would like to start it. I haven't changed any
settings and am very anxious about screwing something up beyond repair.
Please advise!

Tony

novice needs advice

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 02:00:17

Is this only an NT Server, or is this an SBS?

Quote:> I recently purchased a computer which uses NT 4 Server as the OS. Every
time
> it boots up I get this message from the Service Control Mgr.: "at least
one
> service or driver failed during system startup."  In the Event Viewer the
> error reads "the Computer Browser service depends on the Server service
> which failed to start because of the following error: a device attached to
> the system is not functioning." Unfortunately I know nothing about NT
Server
> but was wondering if there is some wonderfully simple fix to this problem.
> The Server icon in the Control Panel tells me the server service has not
> been started and asks me if I would like to start it. I haven't changed
any
> settings and am very anxious about screwing something up beyond repair.
> Please advise!

> Tony

novice needs advice

Post by ST » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 05:40:58

If you are not sure, click the Start button. If there's a selection
for a "SBS Console", and it doesn't work, then you have a SBS for
sure! <g>

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:00:17 -0600, "Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP]"

>Is this only an NT Server, or is this an SBS?

>> I recently purchased a computer which uses NT 4 Server as the OS. Every
>time
>> it boots up I get this message from the Service Control Mgr.: "at least
>one
>> service or driver failed during system startup."  In the Event Viewer the
>> error reads "the Computer Browser service depends on the Server service
>> which failed to start because of the following error: a device attached to
>> the system is not functioning." Unfortunately I know nothing about NT
>Server
>> but was wondering if there is some wonderfully simple fix to this problem.
>> The Server icon in the Control Panel tells me the server service has not
>> been started and asks me if I would like to start it. I haven't changed
>any
>> settings and am very anxious about screwing something up beyond repair.
>> Please advise!

>> Tony

1. Advice for a novice

Please could somebody advise a novice. I am considering
the purchase of sbs2000 for a main server but we already
have an nt4 server for some of the users. I read that
sbs2000 has to be the only domain controller, therefore
how do I make some clients log onto both the new sbs
server and the exsisting nt server simultaneously. I do
not wish to install the nt,s applications onto the sbs
server.

I would grateful for any advice as I have no real
technical knowledge (I'm in accounts but wearing two hats)
and wishing to learn.

Many Thanks in advance

2. FunXbox has a better message board

3. Novice needs avdive

4. Usenet

5. Novice need help

6. Console Oriented Games Wanted

7. Novice needs help with SAMBA!

8. Retrieving WAN IP Address

9. Strange smbd behavior: Novice help needed !

10. Advice Needed

11. URGENT SECURITY ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP

12. Help! I need some advice

13. Backup soft $$$ advice needed....