Intranet and Windows 98

Post by Logie Bea » Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:04:01

For some reason remote Windows 98 clients are unable to connect to the
company intranet. The DNS and WINS settings are exactly the same as the XP
clients (which can connect ok) and they have an entry in hosts poinitng the
IP address to companyweb.

Intranet and Windows 98

Post by SBS-MV » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:37:55

Windows 98 clients are dead
They are unsupported on Small Business Server

What is the exact error?

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------

  For some reason remote Windows 98 clients are unable to connect to the
  company intranet. The DNS and WINS settings are exactly the same as the XP
  clients (which can connect ok) and they have an entry in hosts poinitng the
  IP address to companyweb.

Intranet and Windows 98

Post by Logie Bea » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:13:01

Just the standard 'This page cannot be displayed'.
The 98 clients at the same site as the server work no problems it's just the
ones at the remote sites.

> Windows 98 clients are dead
> They are unsupported on Small Business Server

> What is the exact error?

> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
> --------------------------------------
> Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage

>   For some reason remote Windows 98 clients are unable to connect to the
>   company intranet. The DNS and WINS settings are exactly the same as the XP
>   clients (which can connect ok) and they have an entry in hosts poinitng the
>   IP address to companyweb

1. samba working from windows 98 client to linux but not from linux to windows 98

After much trial and error I was finally able to get a connection to my
SAMBA server running on Caldera eDesktop v2.4 with SAMBA v2.0.6.  The few
keys to making this work were adding the line encrypt password = yes in the
[global] section of smb.conf as well as mounting the cdrom before being able
to access and listing the path for the windows partition I wanted to share
from my dual boot linux machine was /mnt/hda1/  the "/" at the end was the
problem child.

Now my final problem, I can connect from the SAMBA server to its own shares,
but I cannot connect to my Windows 98 machine that can connect to my SAMBA
server.  Yes I have enabled file and print sharing, made a valid share, and
have no passwords set.

Anyone have any ideas to help?

2. MAIL FROM: <> ?????

3. working windows 3.1 with windows 98

4. Eudora settings corrupt???

5. Compatibility with Windows 98 and Windows XP

6. Requirement For : .Net Architect with MQ; Must be Local to NJ/NY/CT

7. Using client computers with Windows XP vs. Windows 98

8. what about Creative's PCI Modem Blaster?

9. Samba not compatible with Windows 98 and Windows Me ?

10. SBS 4.5 and Windows 98

11. Windows 98 client setup with 3-Com Megahertz 10/100 PC_Card

12. Problems settin up Windows 98 client

13. Windows 98 Client setup