Migrating / Upgrading entire office to 2000 - Advice?

Migrating / Upgrading entire office to 2000 - Advice?

Post by Michael » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:49:23

Hi,

We are a small office running a single domain on SBS 4.5 with 25 users.
I'm getting ready to upgrade the entire office to Win2000.  We've already
purchased a new server and SBS 2000 (not installed or online yet).  Half of
the office will get new computers, the other half will get existing machines
upgraded to Win2000 from NT4.   Most the machines running right now are 98
and  NT 4.  We already have a few Win2000 workstations running.

My question is related more to planning and  implementaion rather than
technical.   What is the best method to accomplish this and does anyone have
any suggestions for good resources that discuss preferred upgrade steps?

The major questions is:
Order of Implemention?  Bring the server online first or the workstations?
Or all at the same time?  I'm thinking that since we already have a few
Win2K workstations online, we should bring them all up, and then do the
server next.  I'm going to follow the MS whitepaper on migrating the server.

Any advice is welcome,
Thanks,
Michael

Migrating / Upgrading entire office to 2000 - Advice?

Post by Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:57:13

I'm not sure that it makes a big difference whether you install the workstations before or after, but as for the server

SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 1 of 2) (Q278439)

SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 on a New Computer (Part 2 of 2) (Q290603)

--
Cris Hanna (SBS-MVP)
Please respond only in the newsgroup and not directly to me via email so that all may benefit from the information.!

[...]

1. Migrating / Upgrading Entire Office - Advice sought

[...]

2. live community go go go !!!!

3. Office 97 Upgrade to Office 2000

4. cable T.V & EQUIPMENT

5. Advice sought: Migrating SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on a different machine

6. Mysql 4.1 authentication problems

7. Upgrade Small Business 2000 EVAL to Cack Office 2000

8. OS/2 Ultimail Server - Sendmail.cf -- HELP!!

9. Migrating from SBS 4.5 to Full Back Office 2000

10. Time to Migrate Upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 on new server

11. Clean install upgrade SBS 2000 on same hardware - Migrating SAM from SBS 4.5

12. Need advice on SBS 4.0 to 2000 Upgrade