Upgrade Hardware on SBS 2000

Post by Jonathan Eb » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 01:28:42

I need to move SBS 2000 to a more powerful server.  Has anyone done this
before?  Just a backup and restore?  Any ideas would be helpful.

Jonathan Eby
Naxos of America, Inc.

Upgrade Hardware on SBS 2000

Post by Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:51:46

MS has documented a KB on moving W2K server to a different hardware devices.
Essentially, yes, you can install a scratch W2K on the new hardware, then
restore a backup from the old server running W2K Server, including SBS.
There are some other details to review, but that is the heart of the issue.

Alternative methods are not simpler, just more detailed in degree of
process, and incremental steps to make the transition in smaller steps.

Search the KBs for "Restore Windows 2000 to different hardware".

Quote:> I need to move SBS 2000 to a more powerful server.  Has anyone done this
> before?  Just a backup and restore?  Any ideas would be helpful.

> Jonathan Eby
> Naxos of America, Inc.

Upgrade Hardware on SBS 2000

Post by Les Conno » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:54:05

Jonathan,

My suggestion would be to back up your SBS with MS Backup, not a 3rd party
utility (such as BE or whatever). It will simplify the restore to new
hardware.

I *suspect* that MS backup is slightly more aware of what not to restore,
and there will be things that should not be restored. Documented procedure
for the active directory restore mode can be found by searching support, and
will likely turn up with the suggestion Jeff made for search terms.

Les.

Quote:> I need to move SBS 2000 to a more powerful server.  Has anyone done this
> before?  Just a backup and restore?  Any ideas would be helpful.

> Jonathan Eby
> Naxos of America, Inc.

1. Clean install upgrade SBS 2000 on same hardware - Migrating SAM from SBS 4.5

Just to throw another variation in on the upgrade process, i'd like to
upgrade our SBS 4.5 server to SBS 2000 on the same hardware, but with a
clean install AND I'd like to retain the domain SAM. :-)

Our current SBS 4.5server has Raid 5, and I will image this to an IDE drive
and test that it works before touching anything.

I plan to:

1) Set up an old temporary server with Windows NT server, and join the SBS
domain (Can I use SBS 4.0 disks to do this? Or do I need a real copy of
stand alone NT server?)

2) Sync the SBS 4.5 domain/SAM to the temp NT Server

3) Disconnect the SBS 4.5 server from the Lan

4) Upgrade temp NT server to W2K server and add AD (I can use the SBS2K disk
1 for this, right?)

5) Wipe the SBS 4.5 server out, and install W2K server off SBS2K disk 1

6) Add SBS server (while it only has W2K server on it) to AD as a DC to sync
the old domain/SAM from the temp server

7) Continue the routine SBS app install on the SBS server

8) Revert to the IDE image when it all crashes in a heap. :-)

Would this be the correct method?

Our 4.5 server has a few small problems, we've never used client setup disks
which makes admin a hassle, SBS console doesn't work, so that's why i'm
leaning towards the more complicated method described above to do a fresh
install.

Cheers

Mark

2. 554, service not available!!!

3. SBS 2000 Hardware Upgrade

4. system counter not there

5. Upgrade NT Server to SBS 2000 - Upgrade package will not accept NT CD for upgrade!

6. Making Background Clear

7. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

8. SuperSafe=medium

9. Upgrade SBS 2000 trial to SBS 2000 full version

10. Clarification on 'new hardware' 4.5 to 2000 upgrade

11. NT4.0 Server hardware upgrade question to run Microsoft Small Office 2000.

12. SBS 2000 upgrade CALs when upgrading to a new computer

13. Upgrade to windows 2000 not SBS 2000