Exchange time-outs on dial on demand router

Exchange time-outs on dial on demand router

Post by mikefer.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We just installed ISDN on a dial on demand router. Exchange now dials
every 4 minutes 24 hours a day. How can I restrict the frequency of
connections and reduce the timeout. The options are greyed out in the
IMS properties connections tab.

Please help as this is going to cost us a fortune.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Exchange time-outs on dial on demand router

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

How do you know it is exchange dialing?  Disconect the hub and see what
gives an error.

--
Grey
MVP SBS

http://www.smallbizserver.com  SBS FAQ/TIPS
http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/list.htm  SBS Listserve
Set NetMeeting to use www.smallbizserver.com as your directory locator
service
http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/list.htm  For the SBS Listserv
instructions

Quote:> We just installed ISDN on a dial on demand router. Exchange now dials
> every 4 minutes 24 hours a day. How can I restrict the frequency of
> connections and reduce the timeout. The options are greyed out in the
> IMS properties connections tab.

> Please help as this is going to cost us a fortune.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Exchange time-outs on dial on demand router

Post by Marc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

For dial on demand routers you need to write a small batch file and schedule it to run at a specific time.
- http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp_dialondemand.htm

The behavior you are now seeing is caused by the way you have set up DNS. For example, in IMC there is the option "Use DNS" or "Forward all messages to host". If you have configured it with the "Use DNS" option, Exchange is acting if it is always online and connected to the ISP. It will forward all messages directly.

Another example: when starting up one of your Outlook clients, the Outlook client sends a DNS query to find the Exchange Server. If it can't find the Exchange Server...here you go...reconnect to the ISP.

Cheers!
Marco

  We just installed ISDN on a dial on demand router. Exchange now dials
  every 4 minutes 24 hours a day. How can I restrict the frequency of
  connections and reduce the timeout. The options are greyed out in the
  IMS properties connections tab.

  Please help as this is going to cost us a fortune.

  Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
  Before you buy.

1. ISDN dial-on demand router and Proxy server

We are replacing our existing NetWare server with SBS 4.5.  We use a Netopia
ISDN dial-on demand router with NAT to access our ISP, and have an NT
workstation running a POP/SMTP service to host and exchange mail.  According
to Microsoft, I need to add a second NIC to my SBS server and connect the
ISDN router to it (I guess I'll also need anothe static IP address).
Netopia says to leave the network flat (e.g. no second NIC) and uninstall
Proxy server.  Is this a good idea?  Should I replace the ISDN router with a
terminal adapter instead?  Would a different device work better?  I do have
an Ascend Pipeline 50 I could use.

Looking for some advice.

TIA

Dale

2. Search for MSMQ

3. SBS does not connect to dial on demand ISDN router

4. CDROM FIlesystem for VxWorks - Beta Testers needed

5. Using SBS with dial on demand ISDN router

6. FA: OCR Pen w/Palm Connectivity!

7. Auto Dial VS Demand Dial

8. System Finder license and Apple Bashing

9. Exchange won't send the mail on demand when "Dial using:" is checked.

10. Exchange IMC on SBS 4.5 unable to dial-on-demand to send mail...

11. ISDN Router dials up all the time

12. Them pesky dial-outs!

13. multiple dial outs