Upgrading existing 4.5?

Post by Bart » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 04:33:48

Any suggestions for upgrading an existing SBS 4.5?
Were to look for problems.

Upgrading existing 4.5?

Post by SBS-MV » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:35:27

Have you checked the MS Knowledge base on this...there is  a 2 part KB that addresses this issue...not to mention hundreds of posts in this NG
You might try a google search first...if you still have more questions about your specific environment...then please come back and ask your specific questions or concerns

--
CRIS HANNA (SBS-MVP)
Please do not reply directly to me by email but only in the newsgroup so that all may share the information

  Any suggestions for upgrading an existing SBS 4.5?
  Were to look for problems.

Upgrading existing 4.5?

Post by Mark Mancin » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:49:59

If you are using the same hardware it requires some 3rd party s/w and some
balls.  You need to free up 1 GB on the 4.5 installation, upgrade and then
Server magic the C: drive to 10GB and then continue with the dcpromo and
install process.  I would recommend ghosting the drive first for rollback
and give yourself 2 days for this.  The cost of server magic may have you
looking for a consultant to do this for you....just depends how lucky you
feel!!  There are some issues with RAID controllers and drive letter changes
that may cause you to stumble but if you are tech savy, don't sweat it.

--
Sincerely,
Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000

Quote:> Any suggestions for upgrading an existing SBS 4.5?
> Were to look for problems.

Upgrading existing 4.5?

Post by SBS-MV » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:24:41

The use of Server Magic to expand a system partition on an SBS install will wind up putting you in situation that is not supported by MS Support

--
CRIS HANNA (SBS-MVP)
Please do not reply directly to me by email but only in the newsgroup so that all may share the information

  If you are using the same hardware it requires some 3rd party s/w and some
  balls.  You need to free up 1 GB on the 4.5 installation, upgrade and then
  Server magic the C: drive to 10GB and then continue with the dcpromo and
  install process.  I would recommend ghosting the drive first for rollback
  and give yourself 2 days for this.  The cost of server magic may have you
  looking for a consultant to do this for you....just depends how lucky you
  feel!!  There are some issues with RAID controllers and drive letter changes
  that may cause you to stumble but if you are tech savy, don't sweat it.

  --
  Sincerely,
  Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
  www.MCSE2000.com
  www.AppLauncher.com

  > Any suggestions for upgrading an existing SBS 4.5?
  > Were to look for problems.

1. upgrade existing 4.5 to 2000

I am preparing an upgrade from 4.5 to 2000 and have two
questions.

I am an Microsoft OEM and have the NFR version of 4.5, 6
user license installed in my office and I want to upgrade
it with an SBS 2000 Upgrade 5 user license.  Can it be
done?

Also, in the server, currently I have one NIC assigned a
public IP connected to the switch where the router is
connected. I am not currently using SBS 4.5 Proxy.  Each
client accesses the internet with their public IP on their
workstation directly through the gateway (router).  In SBS
2000, am I required to use ISA in Windows 2000 and do I
need to place a second NIC on my server using a public IP
on one and a private IP on the other to bind the ISA to
each client?  I hear that if I do not have two NIC's in my
server I will get errors on the installation.

2. Another FAQ about an enhanced //e

3. Can I reinstall SBS 4.5 on existing SBS 4.5 and retain settings?

4. MS Pocket Money Error after sync

5. SBS 4.5 - Can I add a second exchange server into an existing SBS 4.5 site??

6. The center of the rectangle can be seen although the border should be covering i

7. SBS 4.5 upgrade really an upgrade

8. RIS compatable nic card

9. NT upgrade disk and SBS 4.5 upgrade

10. Upgrade SBS 4.0 to 4.5 after upgrading to full NT4 and Exchange???

11. Upgrade 4.5 to 2000, SQL won't upgrade

12. 4.0 to 4.5 upgrade - Exchange upgrade failed -HELP!!

13. Echange Server upgrade 4.0 to 5.5 failed when upgrading from SBS 4.0 to 4.5 Help?