eMail configuration

Post by Albert Bricke » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 02:39:02

Hi,

I am confused as to the best way to configure SBS 2003 to achieve the
results requested.

Currently the domain www.xxx.ORG is hosted online with eMail supported.

I am proposing to install SBS 2003 with the domain name of www.xxx.NET for
remote access to the server.

Here is the problem:

I know how to setup so that the exchange server will respond and send eMail
with the xxx.NET domain.  I also know how to configure the POP so that it
will download mail from the .ORG domain.

Here is what I want to do, is it possible?

I want to keep the domain xxx.ORG website hosted externally.  I want to
change the MX record to point to the SBS server.

Here is my question.  Can I configure the SBS server to respond to
www.xxx.NET for remote access and to xxx.ORG for the eMail?

If so can I do this during the setup phase or will I have to make special
configuration changes later?

Albert

eMail configuration

Post by SBS-MV » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:42:20

DO NOT...repeat DO NOT name your internal domain  www.domain.net

Your internal domain name has absolutely nothing do with your external fully qualified domain name.

name your internal lan   "domain.lan" or "domain.local" or "companyname.loc"    in otherwords  DO NOT use any of the externally available domain extensions (.com .net .org .biz .tv .edu. and so on) on your internal domain name.

Who ever provides your EXTERNAL DNS services for your domain, you will ask them to create an a record and call it mail.domainname.org and point it to your public, static IP address.   if you want mail to come to directly to your exchange server so you don't have to use the pop 3 connector, then you have them create a MX record with a 0 priority and have it point to mail.domainname.org

If you want to connect to your sbs server remotely then, the URL would be http://mail.domainname.org/remote

Its that easy

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------

[...]

Post by Albert Bricke » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 10:42:02

I won't do that again trust me! (name internal domain same as external)

Anyway, I think I have it now.  Thanks, Albert

> DO NOT...repeat DO NOT name your internal domain  www.domain.net

> Your internal domain name has absolutely nothing do with your external fully qualified domain name.

> name your internal lan   "domain.lan" or "domain.local" or "companyname.loc"    in otherwords  DO NOT use any of the externally available domain extensions (.com .net .org .biz .tv .edu. and so on) on your internal domain name.

> Who ever provides your EXTERNAL DNS services for your domain, you will ask them to create an a record and call it mail.domainname.org and point it to your public, static IP address.   if you want mail to come to directly to your exchange server so you don't have to use the pop 3 connector, then you have them create a MX record with a 0 priority and have it point to mail.domainname.org

> If you want to connect to your sbs server remotely then, the URL would be http://mail.domainname.org/remote

> Its that easy

> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
> --------------------------------------
> Please do not respond directly to me, but only post in the newsgroup so all can take advantage

>   Hi,

>   I am confused as to the best way to configure SBS 2003 to achieve the
>   results requested.

>   Currently the domain www.xxx.ORG is hosted online with eMail supported.

>   I am proposing to install SBS 2003 with the domain name of www.xxx.NET for
>   remote access to the server.

>   Here is the problem:

>   I know how to setup so that the exchange server will respond and send eMail
>   with the xxx.NET domain.  I also know how to configure the POP so that it
>   will download mail from the .ORG domain.

>   Here is what I want to do, is it possible?

>   I want to keep the domain xxx.ORG website hosted externally.  I want to
>   change the MX record to point to the SBS server.

>   Here is my question.  Can I configure the SBS server to respond to
>   www.xxx.NET for remote access and to xxx.ORG for the eMail?

>   If so can I do this during the setup phase or will I have to make special
>   configuration changes later?

>   Albert

1. Basic e-mail configuration question

does not support MS exchange -- they appear to be wedded exclusively to POP3
mail, and have had more than their share of troubles delivering that.  I
have a registered domain name.  If I use AT&T cable as the internet pipe and
set my MX & A records to my IP address, mail will come.  On the other hand,
if the connection goes down (as it sometimes does for a few minutes to
several hours once or twice per month), how can I arrange for an ISP to be a
secondary recipient and (more importantly) how do I arrange to get any
queued mail (or do they simply try to send it from time to time) from the
backup e-mail server at the ISP when the connection is restored?

2. GFA Assembler

3. Exchange/Internet e-mail configuration

4. error message when opening ACAD

5. email configuration advise?

6. creating prefixes to open a file

7. E-mail configuration?

8. Document Searching

9. Email & Echange configuration

10. Moving from Dial-Up Email/Web hosting to DSL - configuration/ISP issues?

11. How to Gather DNS Configuration (not in Network Adapter Configuration)

12. receiving email from multiple SMTP email accounts?

13. Creating virtual email addresses based on one ISP email address?