Which license pak do I need?

Post by Chris Nagl » Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:32:02

I need to go from sbs2003 standard to full-blown server/exchange/etc because
I'm going to exceed my 75 licenses due to a new company aquisition. CDW says
all I need is the client transitional license pack, don't I need something
for the server? Is this just a license pack for the server, or is there
actual media involved? A MS part number so I could tell CDW would greatly be
appreciated!

I'm assuming I cannot go from sbs2003 to server r2, I can only to to server
w/sp1?

Which license pak do I need?

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:14:57

>I need to go from sbs2003 standard to full-blown server/exchange/etc
>because
>I'm going to exceed my 75 licenses due to a new company aquisition. CDW
>says
>all I need is the client transitional license pack, don't I need something
>for the server? Is this just a license pack for the server, or is there
>actual media involved? A MS part number so I could tell CDW would greatly
>be
>appreciated!

>I'm assuming I cannot go from sbs2003 to server r2, I can only to to server
>w/sp1?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/howtobuy/pricing.mspx

has the SKUs you need.

Firstly, the server needs the Transition Pack Standard, then you need
Transition CALs for all your existing SBS CALs.

You might want to look here too:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/techinfo/planning/tran...

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]