SBS 2000 Hardware Upgrade

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:34:34

SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 (Part 1 of 2):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q278439&GSSNB=1

SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 (Part 2 of 2):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290603

Shopping list should include a 6 pack of something.....my choice is
Mountain Dew....insert your favorite.

Can purchase upgrade SBS and load it on new hardware!
Susan

> Have a question about doing a SBS 2000 upgrade. We need to
> upgrade our hardware for our SBS Server. We are running
> out of space and the system is a little slow. What would
> be the best way to accomplish this hardware upgrade from
> the old hardware to the new hardware?

> Ted

SBS 2000 Hardware Upgrade

Post by Tom » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:24:36

We are going to replace server and upgrade to SBS2000 soon.

If we are going to upgrade our accounts package (the main use of the server)
and are going to change the email system from the old POP Connector solution
on the new SBS2000 box, wouldn't it be cleaner just to set up the new box
freestanding, and back up the acconts data files from tape or client,
without any Window 2000 client partitions, then migrate the clients, rather
than the way it is described in ther KB articles or am I missing the obvious
as usual.

Thanks

Tom

> SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 (Part 1 of 2):
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q278439&GSSNB=1

> SBS: How to Upgrade SBS 4.x to SBS 2000 (Part 2 of 2):
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290603

> Shopping list should include a 6 pack of something.....my choice is
> Mountain Dew....insert your favorite.

> Can purchase upgrade SBS and load it on new hardware!
> Susan

> > Have a question about doing a SBS 2000 upgrade. We need to
> > upgrade our hardware for our SBS Server. We are running
> > out of space and the system is a little slow. What would
> > be the best way to accomplish this hardware upgrade from
> > the old hardware to the new hardware?

> > Ted

SBS 2000 Hardware Upgrade

Post by Ted G. Freita » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 02:24:13

This is going to be SBS 2000 -> SBS 2000 can you still use
the instructions from the 4.5 -> 2000?

1. Clean install upgrade SBS 2000 on same hardware - Migrating SAM from SBS 4.5

Just to throw another variation in on the upgrade process, i'd like to
upgrade our SBS 4.5 server to SBS 2000 on the same hardware, but with a
clean install AND I'd like to retain the domain SAM. :-)

Our current SBS 4.5server has Raid 5, and I will image this to an IDE drive
and test that it works before touching anything.

I plan to:

1) Set up an old temporary server with Windows NT server, and join the SBS
domain (Can I use SBS 4.0 disks to do this? Or do I need a real copy of
stand alone NT server?)

2) Sync the SBS 4.5 domain/SAM to the temp NT Server

3) Disconnect the SBS 4.5 server from the Lan

4) Upgrade temp NT server to W2K server and add AD (I can use the SBS2K disk
1 for this, right?)

5) Wipe the SBS 4.5 server out, and install W2K server off SBS2K disk 1

6) Add SBS server (while it only has W2K server on it) to AD as a DC to sync
the old domain/SAM from the temp server

7) Continue the routine SBS app install on the SBS server

8) Revert to the IDE image when it all crashes in a heap. :-)

Would this be the correct method?

Our 4.5 server has a few small problems, we've never used client setup disks
which makes admin a hassle, SBS console doesn't work, so that's why i'm
leaning towards the more complicated method described above to do a fresh
install.

Cheers

Mark

2. wineEdt output to pdf (ask for help)

3. Upgrade Hardware on SBS 2000

4. Wanted - Postscript Process Color Guide

5. Upgrade NT Server to SBS 2000 - Upgrade package will not accept NT CD for upgrade!

6. AS/400 Tuning mit TUNER/438 von Team Loevenich

7. Upgrade to Windows 2000 (NOT SBS 2000) Server from SBS 4.5

8. html-helper-mode and tables

9. Upgrade SBS 2000 trial to SBS 2000 full version

10. Clarification on 'new hardware' 4.5 to 2000 upgrade

11. NT4.0 Server hardware upgrade question to run Microsoft Small Office 2000.

12. SBS 2000 upgrade CALs when upgrading to a new computer

13. Upgrade to windows 2000 not SBS 2000