Event ID 20036 with Small Business Server DHCP Server

Event ID 20036 with Small Business Server DHCP Server

Post by Mattias Christenss » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi!

Due to Technet articel Q177610 the DHCP-server is shutting down on the
SBS-server by design if there are another DHCP-server on the network.

If you are connected to the Internet via a Cabltvmodem or similar you
can end up with several DHCP-server behind the gateway which are
designed to serve the corporate LAN:s.
But despite that the DHCP-service-bindings is disabled for the
external NIC the DHCP-server is shutting down because it founds
another DHCP-server on the network.

What do you think about enabling the security for the TCP/IP-protocol
on the external NIC? Will it prevent the DHCP Discover packets from
searching for DHCP-servers on the external NIC?

I need the SBS-server to act as a Proxy-server for outbound webaccess,
ftp etc and the Exchange server to recieve/send mail.
The external NIC:s ip is the mx-record for the email-domain on the
SBS-server.
What ports needs then to be enabled for this to work?

//Mattias

Event ID 20036 with Small Business Server DHCP Server

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You have two options:
Disable DHCP all together and assign static IP addresses internally 10.0.0.X

or

Proxy 2.0 should be able to filter the other proxy

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

Quote:>Hi!

>Due to Technet articel Q177610 the DHCP-server is shutting down on the
>SBS-server by design if there are another DHCP-server on the network.

>If you are connected to the Internet via a Cabltvmodem or similar you
>can end up with several DHCP-server behind the gateway which are
>designed to serve the corporate LAN:s.
>But despite that the DHCP-service-bindings is disabled for the
>external NIC the DHCP-server is shutting down because it founds
>another DHCP-server on the network.

>What do you think about enabling the security for the TCP/IP-protocol
>on the external NIC? Will it prevent the DHCP Discover packets from
>searching for DHCP-servers on the external NIC?

>I need the SBS-server to act as a Proxy-server for outbound webaccess,
>ftp etc and the Exchange server to recieve/send mail.
>The external NIC:s ip is the mx-record for the email-domain on the
>SBS-server.
>What ports needs then to be enabled for this to work?

>//Mattias

Event ID 20036 with Small Business Server DHCP Server

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You have two options:
Disable DHCP all together and assign static IP addresses internally 10.0.0.X

or

Proxy 2.0 should be able to filter the other DHCP server

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

Quote:>Hi!

>Due to Technet articel Q177610 the DHCP-server is shutting down on the
>SBS-server by design if there are another DHCP-server on the network.

>If you are connected to the Internet via a Cabltvmodem or similar you
>can end up with several DHCP-server behind the gateway which are
>designed to serve the corporate LAN:s.
>But despite that the DHCP-service-bindings is disabled for the
>external NIC the DHCP-server is shutting down because it founds
>another DHCP-server on the network.

>What do you think about enabling the security for the TCP/IP-protocol
>on the external NIC? Will it prevent the DHCP Discover packets from
>searching for DHCP-servers on the external NIC?

>I need the SBS-server to act as a Proxy-server for outbound webaccess,
>ftp etc and the Exchange server to recieve/send mail.
>The external NIC:s ip is the mx-record for the email-domain on the
>SBS-server.
>What ports needs then to be enabled for this to work?

>//Mattias

Event ID 20036 with Small Business Server DHCP Server

Post by Mattias Christenss » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Ok, thanks.

But still I'm thinking: If Proxy server 2 does the work - is it then
not possible to disable the ports used for the "dhcp discovery" in the
"enable security" while waiting  for the SBS 4.5 upgrade?
Or the other way around to enable only the ports that is needed for
the SBS in this scenaroi?

//Mattias
MCP, Sweden

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:43:52 -0600, "Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MVP"

>You have two options:
>Disable DHCP all together and assign static IP addresses internally 10.0.0.X

>or

>Proxy 2.0 should be able to filter the other DHCP server

>--
>Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
>SBS-MVP

>>Hi!

>>Due to Technet articel Q177610 the DHCP-server is shutting down on the
>>SBS-server by design if there are another DHCP-server on the network.

>>If you are connected to the Internet via a Cabltvmodem or similar you
>>can end up with several DHCP-server behind the gateway which are
>>designed to serve the corporate LAN:s.
>>But despite that the DHCP-service-bindings is disabled for the
>>external NIC the DHCP-server is shutting down because it founds
>>another DHCP-server on the network.

>>What do you think about enabling the security for the TCP/IP-protocol
>>on the external NIC? Will it prevent the DHCP Discover packets from
>>searching for DHCP-servers on the external NIC?

>>I need the SBS-server to act as a Proxy-server for outbound webaccess,
>>ftp etc and the Exchange server to recieve/send mail.
>>The external NIC:s ip is the mx-record for the email-domain on the
>>SBS-server.
>>What ports needs then to be enabled for this to work?

>>//Mattias

Event ID 20036 with Small Business Server DHCP Server

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MV » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My understanding is no

--
Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
SBS-MVP

>Ok, thanks.

>But still I'm thinking: If Proxy server 2 does the work - is it then
>not possible to disable the ports used for the "dhcp discovery" in the
>"enable security" while waiting  for the SBS 4.5 upgrade?
>Or the other way around to enable only the ports that is needed for
>the SBS in this scenaroi?

>//Mattias
>MCP, Sweden

>On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:43:52 -0600, "Cris Hanna, BS, MCP, MVP"

>>You have two options:
>>Disable DHCP all together and assign static IP addresses internally
10.0.0.X

>>or

>>Proxy 2.0 should be able to filter the other DHCP server

>>--
>>Cris Hanna, BS, MCP
>>SBS-MVP

>>>Hi!

>>>Due to Technet articel Q177610 the DHCP-server is shutting down on the
>>>SBS-server by design if there are another DHCP-server on the network.

>>>If you are connected to the Internet via a Cabltvmodem or similar you
>>>can end up with several DHCP-server behind the gateway which are
>>>designed to serve the corporate LAN:s.
>>>But despite that the DHCP-service-bindings is disabled for the
>>>external NIC the DHCP-server is shutting down because it founds
>>>another DHCP-server on the network.

>>>What do you think about enabling the security for the TCP/IP-protocol
>>>on the external NIC? Will it prevent the DHCP Discover packets from
>>>searching for DHCP-servers on the external NIC?

>>>I need the SBS-server to act as a Proxy-server for outbound webaccess,
>>>ftp etc and the Exchange server to recieve/send mail.
>>>The external NIC:s ip is the mx-record for the email-domain on the
>>>SBS-server.
>>>What ports needs then to be enabled for this to work?

>>>//Mattias

1. DHCP error: Evnent ID 20036

I have beeng getting this error consistently.:

The DHCP Server is shutting down because another DHCP
 Server with IP Address 0.0.0.0 is active on the network

  I only have one server and it is installed with SBS 4.5.  I think that my
HP Jetdirect  EX Plus3 printer server is causing the problem.  This is my
real problem, as I can't get the network to recognize the print server.
When I print the jetdirect's config page, it tells me that it is configured
by DHCP and that its ip address is 0.0.0.0, which is why I think it may be
causing the DHCP to shut down.

I'm stuck and need some help.

2. Urgently.......Needed System Admin, Loc - Madison, WI

3. Event ID: 20036

4. [Fwd: FW: CPU Options]

5. Benifits of MS Small Business 2000 over MS Small Business Backoffice Server 4.5

6. Is the SupraFAXmodem 288 VFC upgradable ? How ?

7. issues with black ice defender and small-business server and DHCP

8. CodeWarrior 8.3 Link Error

9. Invitation: January Kentucky Small Business Server User Group (KYSBSUG) meeting and other Microsoft events

10. Event ID: 1002 DHCP Server

11. Event ID 1011 : DHCP server NACK

12. Small Business Server 2003 Server Lock

13. Can Windows Server 2003 be seperated from "Small Business Server 2