Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Javier A. Gomez-Duran » Wed, 15 May 2002 02:51:45

Hi all,

I'm new to this whole SBS/Exchange thing, so sorry for the possibly obvious
questions.

I have a SBS test server with Exchange and ISA installed. I want to use
individual POP3 mailboxes hosted in my ISP. I have managed (with a lot of
help from here) to run ICW and Add User Wizard. I have created the users,
selected "create mailbox" in the wizard, and assigned them (in ICW) their
respective POP3 mailbox.

The thing is that when I try to use Outlook in the workstation and I'm
configuring it to use the SBS Exchange server I enter the username and
server name, then click in CHECK NAME and it says: "The name could not be
resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list". If I
ignore this and continue when Outlook is connecting to the server it says:
"Unable to open your default mail folders. Your profile is not configured".
What other steps I have to incurr to set the Exchange account apart from
running the Add User Wizard?

How do I check if I have, in fact, created an exchange mailbox for that
user?

Thanks in advance,

Javier A. Gomez-Durand

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Les Conno » Wed, 15 May 2002 03:54:08

Javier,

Have you used the SCW (Setup Computer Wizard) to create a computer account,
assign a user to that computer, and created the setup disks for the client
computer?

--
Les Connor
------------------

> Hi all,

> I'm new to this whole SBS/Exchange thing, so sorry for the possibly
obvious
> questions.

> I have a SBS test server with Exchange and ISA installed. I want to use
> individual POP3 mailboxes hosted in my ISP. I have managed (with a lot of
> help from here) to run ICW and Add User Wizard. I have created the users,
> selected "create mailbox" in the wizard, and assigned them (in ICW) their
> respective POP3 mailbox.

> The thing is that when I try to use Outlook in the workstation and I'm
> configuring it to use the SBS Exchange server I enter the username and
> server name, then click in CHECK NAME and it says: "The name could not be
> resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list". If
> ignore this and continue when Outlook is connecting to the server it says:
> "Unable to open your default mail folders. Your profile is not
configured".
> What other steps I have to incurr to set the Exchange account apart from
> running the Add User Wizard?

> How do I check if I have, in fact, created an exchange mailbox for that
> user?

> Thanks in advance,

> Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> San Juan, Puerto Rico

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Javier A. Gomez-Duran » Wed, 15 May 2002 04:10:31

Les,

Thank you for your response. All of my workstations are Windows XP, I
thought that I cannot use the "magic disk" on those workstations.

I simply joined the domain, added the users to the local administrators
gorup, installed all client apps and then configured Outlook manually (or at
least tried). Everything is working OK. I have access to network resources
and other stuff, I just can't configure the damn Outlook 2002 to work.

Do I have to use the Magic Disk for this? I know that I'm dumb !!!

Thanks,

Javier A. Gomez-Durand

San Juan, Puerto Rico

> Javier,

> Have you used the SCW (Setup Computer Wizard) to create a computer
account,
> assign a user to that computer, and created the setup disks for the client
> computer?

> --
> Les Connor
> ------------------
> When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . . again.

> > Hi all,

> > I'm new to this whole SBS/Exchange thing, so sorry for the possibly
> obvious
> > questions.

> > I have a SBS test server with Exchange and ISA installed. I want to use
> > individual POP3 mailboxes hosted in my ISP. I have managed (with a lot
of
> > help from here) to run ICW and Add User Wizard. I have created the
users,
> > selected "create mailbox" in the wizard, and assigned them (in ICW)
their
> > respective POP3 mailbox.

> > The thing is that when I try to use Outlook in the workstation and I'm
> > configuring it to use the SBS Exchange server I enter the username and
> > server name, then click in CHECK NAME and it says: "The name could not
be
> > resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list".
If
> > ignore this and continue when Outlook is connecting to the server it
says:
> > "Unable to open your default mail folders. Your profile is not
> configured".
> > What other steps I have to incurr to set the Exchange account apart from
> > running the Add User Wizard?

> > How do I check if I have, in fact, created an exchange mailbox for that
> > user?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> > San Juan, Puerto Rico

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Wed, 15 May 2002 04:29:51

XP Home or XP Pro?

> Les,

> Thank you for your response. All of my workstations are Windows XP, I
> thought that I cannot use the "magic disk" on those workstations.

> I simply joined the domain, added the users to the local administrators
> gorup, installed all client apps and then configured Outlook manually (or at
> least tried). Everything is working OK. I have access to network resources
> and other stuff, I just can't configure the damn Outlook 2002 to work.

> Do I have to use the Magic Disk for this? I know that I'm dumb !!!

> Thanks,

> Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> San Juan, Puerto Rico

> > Javier,

> > Have you used the SCW (Setup Computer Wizard) to create a computer
> account,
> > assign a user to that computer, and created the setup disks for the client
> > computer?

> > --
> > Les Connor
> > ------------------
> > When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . . again.

> > > Hi all,

> > > I'm new to this whole SBS/Exchange thing, so sorry for the possibly
> > obvious
> > > questions.

> > > I have a SBS test server with Exchange and ISA installed. I want to use
> > > individual POP3 mailboxes hosted in my ISP. I have managed (with a lot
> of
> > > help from here) to run ICW and Add User Wizard. I have created the
> users,
> > > selected "create mailbox" in the wizard, and assigned them (in ICW)
> their
> > > respective POP3 mailbox.

> > > The thing is that when I try to use Outlook in the workstation and I'm
> > > configuring it to use the SBS Exchange server I enter the username and
> > > server name, then click in CHECK NAME and it says: "The name could not
> be
> > > resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list".
> If
> > > ignore this and continue when Outlook is connecting to the server it
> says:
> > > "Unable to open your default mail folders. Your profile is not
> > configured".
> > > What other steps I have to incurr to set the Exchange account apart from
> > > running the Add User Wizard?

> > > How do I check if I have, in fact, created an exchange mailbox for that
> > > user?

> > > Thanks in advance,

> > > Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> > > San Juan, Puerto Rico

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Javier A. Gomez-Duran » Wed, 15 May 2002 04:55:30

Thanks Susan for your response. I use XP Pro, of course.

If I'm not mistaken you cannot make XP Home join a domain.

Thanks again,

Javier A. Gomez-Durand

San Juan, Puerto Rico

> XP Home or XP Pro?

> > Les,

> > Thank you for your response. All of my workstations are Windows XP, I
> > thought that I cannot use the "magic disk" on those workstations.

> > I simply joined the domain, added the users to the local administrators
> > gorup, installed all client apps and then configured Outlook manually
(or at
> > least tried). Everything is working OK. I have access to network
resources
> > and other stuff, I just can't configure the damn Outlook 2002 to work.

> > Do I have to use the Magic Disk for this? I know that I'm dumb !!!

> > Thanks,

> > Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> > San Juan, Puerto Rico

> > > Javier,

> > > Have you used the SCW (Setup Computer Wizard) to create a computer
> > account,
> > > assign a user to that computer, and created the setup disks for the
client
> > > computer?

> > > --
> > > Les Connor
> > > ------------------
> > > When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . .
again.

> > > obvious

> > of
> > users,
> > their

I'm
> > be
> > If
> > says:
> > > configured".

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Wed, 15 May 2002 04:59:48

You are not mistaken....you can't have a Home join a domain.

> Thanks Susan for your response. I use XP Pro, of course.

> If I'm not mistaken you cannot make XP Home join a domain.

> Thanks again,

> Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> San Juan, Puerto Rico

> > XP Home or XP Pro?

> > > Les,

> > > Thank you for your response. All of my workstations are Windows XP, I
> > > thought that I cannot use the "magic disk" on those workstations.

> > > I simply joined the domain, added the users to the local administrators
> > > gorup, installed all client apps and then configured Outlook manually
> (or at
> > > least tried). Everything is working OK. I have access to network
> resources
> > > and other stuff, I just can't configure the damn Outlook 2002 to work.

> > > Do I have to use the Magic Disk for this? I know that I'm dumb !!!

> > > Thanks,

> > > Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> > > San Juan, Puerto Rico

> > > account,
> client

> again.

> use
> lot
> > > of
> > > users,
> > > their

> I'm
> and
> not
> > > be
> list".
> > > If
> > > says:
> from

> that

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Les Conno » Wed, 15 May 2002 05:15:16

Javier,

OK, you've joined the domain.

Is ISA (firewall) client installed and configured properly?
Can you ping the SBS by name? Does it return the correct IP.
Can you see any shared resources on the SBS?

Not sure it will matter or not for this, but is the XP personal firewall
disabled?

--
Les Connor
------------------
When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . . again.

> You are not mistaken....you can't have a Home join a domain.

> > Thanks Susan for your response. I use XP Pro, of course.

> > If I'm not mistaken you cannot make XP Home join a domain.

> > Thanks again,

> > Javier A. Gomez-Durand

> > San Juan, Puerto Rico

> > > XP Home or XP Pro?

> > (or at
> > resources
work.

> > client

> > again.

message

> > use
> > lot
ICW)

> > I'm
> > and
> > not
> > list".
> > from

> > that

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Javier A. Gomez-Duran » Wed, 15 May 2002 05:58:40

Thank you Les and Susan for your comments.

I can access the resources on the network. The ISA client is installed
properly and I have access to web browsing on the internet. The SBS pings
back at the workstation. The exchange server retrieves the e-mail from my
ISP's POP3 accounts (I can see all of the test messages on the Trend
ScanMail Status/Log box being scanned). I don't think this is a network
issue, it is more like an Exchange configuration issue.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly:

I cannot open the exchange mailbox not only on the workstation, but also on
the server. I have installed Outlook on the server (for the administrator
account) and I get the same error as when I log onto the workstation. Is
there any way to check out the e-mail accounts already created in MMC (or
anything)?

When you use the add user wizard the user's mailbox is created (provided
that you checked the corresponding box)? The name that I have to type in the

Thank you again for your quick responses.

Sincerely,

.
> > > again.

> message

> possibly

> > > use
> > > lot
> the
> ICW)

> and
> > > I'm
> username
> > > and
> could
> > > not
> > > list".
> server it
> apart
> > > from

> for
> > > that

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Les Conno » Wed, 15 May 2002 06:10:06

Javier,

OK, looks good. (except the installing of Outlook on the SBS :-(. That's not
recommended, I don't know what it breaks, or if that is your problem).

As far as the default user name generation, I *think* it's Firstname
Lastname. Enter that name and the name of your sbs as the server, and it
should resolve.

To check the existence of mailboxes, go to Exchange System Manager from the
start button, drill down to the mailboxes, and see what's listed. Be aware
that mailboxes may not show for users who have been set up, but have not
received or sent any mail.

--
Les Connor
------------------
When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . . again.

> Thank you Les and Susan for your comments.

> I can access the resources on the network. The ISA client is installed
> properly and I have access to web browsing on the internet. The SBS pings
> back at the workstation. The exchange server retrieves the e-mail from my
> ISP's POP3 accounts (I can see all of the test messages on the Trend
> ScanMail Status/Log box being scanned). I don't think this is a network
> issue, it is more like an Exchange configuration issue.

> Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly:

> I cannot open the exchange mailbox not only on the workstation, but also
on
> the server. I have installed Outlook on the server (for the administrator
> account) and I get the same error as when I log onto the workstation. Is
> there any way to check out the e-mail accounts already created in MMC (or
> anything)?

> When you use the add user wizard the user's mailbox is created (provided
> that you checked the corresponding box)? The name that I have to type in
the

> Thank you again for your quick responses.

> Sincerely,

> > Javier,

> > OK, you've joined the domain.

> > Is ISA (firewall) client installed and configured properly?
> > Can you ping the SBS by name? Does it return the correct IP.
> > Can you see any shared resources on the SBS?

> > Not sure it will matter or not for this, but is the XP personal firewall
> > disabled?

> > --
> > Les Connor
> > ------------------
> > When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . . again.

> > > You are not mistaken....you can't have a Home join a domain.

> XP,
workstations.

> > administrators
> > manually
> > work.

!!!

> computer
> > the

.
> .

> > message

> > possibly

> want
> (with
> > the
> > ICW)

> > and
> > username
> > could
> address
> > server it
> > apart

> > for

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Dave Nickaso » Wed, 15 May 2002 07:22:57

You should be able to resolve the name using the alias, which should be the
same as the username used to log into the workstation.  For example, my
username is dbn.  I log in with that and my password, then when I go to set
up my exchange profile, I enter dbn and the SBS servername (not the domain
name).  You should be able to resolve it with the alias (username)
regardless of whether the format is last name first or vice versa.

"Les Connor" <les.con...@paddockdrilling.ca> wrote in message

> Javier,

> OK, looks good. (except the installing of Outlook on the SBS :-(. That's
not
> recommended, I don't know what it breaks, or if that is your problem).

> As far as the default user name generation, I *think* it's Firstname
> Lastname. Enter that name and the name of your sbs as the server, and it
> should resolve.

> To check the existence of mailboxes, go to Exchange System Manager from
the
> start button, drill down to the mailboxes, and see what's listed. Be aware
> that mailboxes may not show for users who have been set up, but have not
> received or sent any mail.

> --
> Les Connor
> ------------------
> When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . . again.

> "Javier A. Gomez-Durand" <javier_go...@engineer.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Les and Susan for your comments.

> > I can access the resources on the network. The ISA client is installed
> > properly and I have access to web browsing on the internet. The SBS
pings
> > back at the workstation. The exchange server retrieves the e-mail from
my
> > ISP's POP3 accounts (I can see all of the test messages on the Trend
> > ScanMail Status/Log box being scanned). I don't think this is a network
> > issue, it is more like an Exchange configuration issue.

> > Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly:

> > I cannot open the exchange mailbox not only on the workstation, but also
> on
> > the server. I have installed Outlook on the server (for the
administrator
> > account) and I get the same error as when I log onto the workstation. Is
> > there any way to check out the e-mail accounts already created in MMC
(or
> > anything)?

> > When you use the add user wizard the user's mailbox is created (provided
> > that you checked the corresponding box)? The name that I have to type in
> the
> > Mailbox field is the username, right? (without the @domain.com or
.local)

<sbrad...@pacbell.net>

> > <sbrad...@pacbell.net>

Windows
> > XP,
> workstations.

> > > administrators
> > > manually
> > > work.

> !!!

> > computer
> for
> > > the

.
> .
> > .

> > > message

> > > possibly

> > want
> > (with
> created
> > > the
> (in
> > > ICW)

> workstation
> > > and
> > > username
> > > could
> > address
> > > server it
> not
> account
> > > apart

> mailbox
> > > for

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Javier A. Gomez-Duran » Wed, 15 May 2002 08:17:22

Again, thanks all for your help.

Les,

I don't have my Harry here, but I'm pretty sure that he puts Outlook in the
server as a best practice (he even makes a statement saying that is not
common to install apps in the server but you need that in order to send mail
as an administrator) or maybe I'm crazy.

Is this one of those things were Harry vs. SBS Forum do not agree? Like the
domain.local vs. domain.com?

I will try to see if the mailboxes are there, first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the support,

Javier

> [...]

.local)

> > Thank you again for your quick responses.

> > Sincerely,

> > "Les Connor" <les.con...@paddockdrilling.ca> wrote in message
> > > Javier,

> > > OK, you've joined the domain.

> > > Is ISA (firewall) client installed and configured properly?
> > > Can you ping the SBS by name? Does it return the correct IP.
> > > Can you see any shared resources on the SBS?

> > > Not sure it will matter or not for this, but is the XP personal
firewall
> > > disabled?

> > > --
> > > Les Connor
> > > ------------------
> > > When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . .
again.

> > > "Susan Bradley, CPA aka "Ebitz" SBS Rocks [MVP]"

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Wed, 15 May 2002 09:45:36

Harry may say it....but MS doesn't say it's a best practice......
"Javier A. Gomez-Durand" wrote:
> [...]

> > > issue, it is more like an Exchange configuration issue.

> > > Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly:

> > > I cannot open the exchange mailbox not only on the workstation, but also
> > on
> > > the server. I have installed Outlook on the server (for the
> administrator
> > > account) and I get the same error as when I log onto the workstation. Is
> > > there any way to check out the e-mail accounts already created in MMC
> (or
> > > anything)?

> > > When you use the add user wizard the user's mailbox is created (provided
> > > that you checked the corresponding box)? The name that I have to type in
> > the
> > > Mailbox field is the username, right? (without the @domain.com or
> .local)

> > > Thank you again for your quick responses.

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Wed, 15 May 2002 09:59:16

In fact, MS go further and specifically state that it's not a supported
configuration.

You don't need Outlook on the server anyway. All that is required is a
MAPI profile and there are other ways to get one of those (several of
which I've posted recently).

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
--------------------------

Susan Bradley, CPA aka  wrote:

> [...]

>> not
>>> recommended, I don't know what it breaks, or if that is your
problem).

>>> As far as the default user name generation, I *think* it's Firstname
>>> Lastname. Enter that name and the name of your sbs as the server,
and it
>>> should resolve.

>>> To check the existence of mailboxes, go to Exchange System Manager
from
>> the
>>> start button, drill down to the mailboxes, and see what's listed. Be
>>> aware that mailboxes may not show for users who have been set up,
but
>>> have not received or sent any mail.

>>> --
>>> Les Connor
>>> ------------------
>>> When everything else fails, the only thing left to try is . . . .

---

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Javier A. Gomez-Duran » Wed, 15 May 2002 10:17:58

Thanks God I'm working in a test server. This is why I love this NG !!! :-)

I still have to check what it happening with my Outlook on the workstations.

BTW Steve, could you please tell me why do I need a MAPI profile (or what
the hell is that)? I won't be using SQL (if that does matter).

Thanks all for your help,

Javier A. Gomez-Durand
javier_go...@engineer.com
San Juan, Puerto Rico

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.fos...@picamar.co.uk> wrote in message

> In fact, MS go further and specifically state that it's not a supported
> configuration.

> You don't need Outlook on the server anyway. All that is required is a
> MAPI profile and there are other ways to get one of those (several of
> which I've posted recently).

> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> --------------------------
> MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> Susan Bradley, CPA aka  wrote:
> > Harry may say it....but MS doesn't say it's a best practice......

> > "Javier A. Gomez-Durand" wrote:

> >> Again, thanks all for your help.

> >> Les,

> >> I don't have my Harry here, but I'm pretty sure that he puts Outlook
> in
> >> the server as a best practice (he even makes a statement saying that
> is
> >> not common to install apps in the server but you need that in order
> >> send mail as an administrator) or maybe I'm crazy.

> >> Is this one of those things were Harry vs. SBS Forum do not agree?
> Like
> >> the domain.local vs. domain.com?

> >> I will try to see if the mailboxes are there, first thing tomorrow
> >> morning.

> >> Thanks for the support,

> >> Javier

> >> "Les Connor" <les.con...@paddockdrilling.ca> wrote in message

> That's
> >> not
> problem).

> and it

> from
> >> the
> but

> again.

> message

> installed
> >> pings
> from
> >> my
> Trend
> network

> >> administrator
> workstation.
> in
> >> (or

> >> .local)

> >> firewall

> >> again.

> >> <sbrad...@pacbell.net>

> >> Windows

> >> network

> >> .

> >> in

> >> name

> ---

Outlook/Exchange Help

Post by Susan Bradley, CPA aka » Wed, 15 May 2002 11:14:00

Some apps need a MAPI profile [basically an conduit for email see
http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gci214084,00.... to
send messages from the server to a workstation....so you put a MAPI profile
without installing Outlook on a server to have a mail transport.

Susan

"Javier A. Gomez-Durand" wrote:
> Thanks God I'm working in a test server. This is why I love this NG !!! :-)

> I still have to check what it happening with my Outlook on the workstations.

> BTW Steve, could you please tell me why do I need a MAPI profile (or what
> the hell is that)? I won't be using SQL (if that does matter).

> Thanks all for your help,

> Javier A. Gomez-Durand
> javier_go...@engineer.com
> San Juan, Puerto Rico

> "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.fos...@picamar.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In fact, MS go further and specifically state that it's not a supported
> > configuration.

> > You don't need Outlook on the server anyway. All that is required is a
> > MAPI profile and there are other ways to get one of those (several of
> > which I've posted recently).

> > --
> > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> > --------------------------
> > MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > Susan Bradley, CPA aka  wrote:
> > > Harry may say it....but MS doesn't say it's a best practice......

> > in
> > is

> > Like

> > That's
> > problem).

> > and it

> > from
> > but

> > again.

> > message

> > installed
> > from
> > Trend
> > network

> > workstation.
> > in

read more »

1. Global Tasks in Outlook/exchange - HELP !!!!

We are wanting to share amongst our company a mailbox for
shared data. (yes we have already tried public folders)
If I am in the contacts folder for that mailbox and I open
up a contact and creat a new task for that contact - that
task goes to the local computer and not the server shared
mailbox.
How do I get the task to be stored on the server mailbox ??

Hope someone can help

Neil
.

2. Animation in Netscape

3. Exchange/Outlook Client cannot connect to exchange server (SBS) HELP!

4. Bug in new frame menu bar creation

5. Help with Journal on Outlook in SBS/Exchange environment

6. Endnotes & Endnote Page Headers

7. Outlook having problems seeing Exchange Server - Please Help

8. URGENT: Problem configuring failover on PX 515 in v6.1

9. Need help with outlook or exchange

10. SBS 2k Exchange/Outlook Problem Please Help

11. Outlook/Exchange Problem...Please help

12. HELP with Exchange/Outlook on SBS

13. Outlook having problems seeing Exchange Server - Please Help