Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Mark Newha » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:44:09

I am trying to enable exe's etc coming through on email through exchange etc
and have struggled at the first hurdle.  It says to create a folder called
that in the root directory of the public folder tree.  How / where do I do
that?

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP SBS » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:25:11

What are you reading so we can read along with you?

--
Grey
MS MVP SBS

http://www.smallbizserver.com FAQ's/Links/Etc
http://www.egroups.com/group/sbs2k  SBS Listserve

Quote:> I am trying to enable exe's etc coming through on email through exchange
etc
> and have struggled at the first hurdle.  It says to create a folder called
> that in the root directory of the public folder tree.  How / where do I do
> that?

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Dave Nickaso » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:56:06

You have to create the public folder using Outlook, and you should do it
logged in as Administrator.  Click View/ Folder List.  Click to expand the
public folder tree, then right-click on All Public Folders, New Folder.  You
have to create the folder with the exact name and permissions specified.

Please keep us posted on how you make out with this whole mess.

Grey - this is the setup for the administration tools for the outlook
security update.  I've been following this in preparation for doing it
myself.  Most of the info is at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/downloads/security.htm  The admin
tools are under related links on the right side of the page under "For IT
Pros, customize...."

Quote:> I am trying to enable exe's etc coming through on email through exchange
etc
> and have struggled at the first hurdle.  It says to create a folder called
> that in the root directory of the public folder tree.  How / where do I do
> that?

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Mark Newha » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:28:17

Yes that is what I am following - Got to point 1 so maybe I should not be
taking it on! It does say for IT Pros!!!! Maybe I am well out of my depth,
if you don't try these things tho...!  I'll keep you posted!

Mark

> You have to create the public folder using Outlook, and you should do it
> logged in as Administrator.  Click View/ Folder List.  Click to expand the
> public folder tree, then right-click on All Public Folders, New Folder.
You
> have to create the folder with the exact name and permissions specified.

> Please keep us posted on how you make out with this whole mess.

> Grey - this is the setup for the administration tools for the outlook
> security update.  I've been following this in preparation for doing it
> myself.  Most of the info is at
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/downloads/security.htm  The admin
> tools are under related links on the right side of the page under "For IT
> Pros, customize...."

> > I am trying to enable exe's etc coming through on email through exchange
> etc
> > and have struggled at the first hurdle.  It says to create a folder
called
> > that in the root directory of the public folder tree.  How / where do I
do
> > that?

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP SBS » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:03:13

thanks for the link

--
Grey
MS MVP SBS

http://www.smallbizserver.com FAQ's/Links/Etc
http://www.egroups.com/group/sbs2k  SBS Listserve

> You have to create the public folder using Outlook, and you should do it
> logged in as Administrator.  Click View/ Folder List.  Click to expand the
> public folder tree, then right-click on All Public Folders, New Folder.
You
> have to create the folder with the exact name and permissions specified.

> Please keep us posted on how you make out with this whole mess.

> Grey - this is the setup for the administration tools for the outlook
> security update.  I've been following this in preparation for doing it
> myself.  Most of the info is at
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/downloads/security.htm  The admin
> tools are under related links on the right side of the page under "For IT
> Pros, customize...."

> > I am trying to enable exe's etc coming through on email through exchange
> etc
> > and have struggled at the first hurdle.  It says to create a folder
called
> > that in the root directory of the public folder tree.  How / where do I
do
> > that?

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Mark Newha » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:52:32

I've given up for now!!!!

Mark

> thanks for the link

> --
> Grey
> MS MVP SBS

> http://www.smallbizserver.com FAQ's/Links/Etc
> http://www.egroups.com/group/sbs2k  SBS Listserve

> > You have to create the public folder using Outlook, and you should do it
> > logged in as Administrator.  Click View/ Folder List.  Click to expand
the
> > public folder tree, then right-click on All Public Folders, New Folder.
> You
> > have to create the folder with the exact name and permissions specified.

> > Please keep us posted on how you make out with this whole mess.

> > Grey - this is the setup for the administration tools for the outlook
> > security update.  I've been following this in preparation for doing it
> > myself.  Most of the info is at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/downloads/security.htm  The
admin
> > tools are under related links on the right side of the page under "For
IT
> > Pros, customize...."

> > > I am trying to enable exe's etc coming through on email through
exchange
> > etc
> > > and have struggled at the first hurdle.  It says to create a folder
> called
> > > that in the root directory of the public folder tree.  How / where do
> do
> > > that?

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Dave Nickaso » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 06:15:31

If you post back your specific questions, you might get some help.  I know
that Mariette has deployed this successfully.  About the only other thing
I've heard relates to the registry key you create on the workstations.
Someone in the group reported that you have to give it a value of "1" which
is not in the instructions.

> I've given up for now!!!!

> Mark

> > thanks for the link

> > --
> > Grey
> > MS MVP SBS

> > http://www.smallbizserver.com FAQ's/Links/Etc
> > http://www.egroups.com/group/sbs2k  SBS Listserve

> > > You have to create the public folder using Outlook, and you should do
it
> > > logged in as Administrator.  Click View/ Folder List.  Click to expand
> the
> > > public folder tree, then right-click on All Public Folders, New
Folder.
> > You
> > > have to create the folder with the exact name and permissions
specified.

> > > Please keep us posted on how you make out with this whole mess.

> > > Grey - this is the setup for the administration tools for the outlook
> > > security update.  I've been following this in preparation for doing it
> > > myself.  Most of the info is at
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/downloads/security.htm  The
> admin
> > > tools are under related links on the right side of the page under "For
> IT
> > > Pros, customize...."

> exchange
> > > etc
> > called
> > do

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Mariett » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:16:15

Quote:

> If you post back your specific questions, you might get some help.  I know
> that Mariette has deployed this successfully.  About the only other thing
> I've heard relates to the registry key you create on the workstations.
> Someone in the group reported that you have to give it a value of "1"
which
> is not in the instructions.

Hi,

As I mentioned in another I have created a little "help" to modify the
registry. I am not sure if it works but I have attached it...so do not
execute it immediately but save it to disk and have a look. It worked for me
many times.

Bye
Mariette

PS Sorry for being away for a while. I was struggeling with my health.

> > I've given up for now!!!!

> > Mark

> > > thanks for the link

> > > --
> > > Grey
> > > MS MVP SBS

> > > http://www.smallbizserver.com FAQ's/Links/Etc
> > > http://www.egroups.com/group/sbs2k  SBS Listserve

> it
> > the
> Folder.
> > > You
> specified.

> > admin
> > IT

> > exchange
> > > called
> do
> > > do

begin 666 CheckAdminSettings.reg

`
end

Outlook Security Settings Folder

Post by Dave Nickaso » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:00:12

Thanks, and hope you're feeling better in time for the holidays!

> > If you post back your specific questions, you might get some help.  I
know
> > that Mariette has deployed this successfully.  About the only other
thing
> > I've heard relates to the registry key you create on the workstations.
> > Someone in the group reported that you have to give it a value of "1"
> which
> > is not in the instructions.

> Hi,

> As I mentioned in another I have created a little "help" to modify the
> registry. I am not sure if it works but I have attached it...so do not
> execute it immediately but save it to disk and have a look. It worked for
me
> many times.

> Bye
> Mariette

> PS Sorry for being away for a while. I was struggeling with my health.

> > > I've given up for now!!!!

> > > Mark

message