Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Post by Obsydi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Anyone,
        I've been hunting for a way to schedule a weekly reboot of an
SBS machine on the web, and have found very little useful information.
Ultimately I'd like to be able to schedule a reboot using at, so I
guess I need to know how to shut the machine down from the console.
Any ideas/comments/criticisms? ;)

        On another note, I've tried to change the administrator
password on my local SBS, and everything wanted to fall apart.
Is there a trick to this? Something I've forgotten?
It seems to have rather efficiently destroyed the SBS Management
'thingy' as well, so I guess a re-install of sorts is on the cards.

Any help would be appreciated,
Chris.

Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Post by Tami Farrell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

How did you change the Admin password........User Manager or the SBS
console?
I know it is not recommended in SBS...as alot of services rely on it.
There is a KB Article on MS......
Tami, MCP, CNA

Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Post by Peter William » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Get the NT Resource kit.  There is a command line shutdown/reboot program in
it.  Can force a shutdown or a restart.

                                                        Peter

Quote:> Anyone,
> I've been hunting for a way to schedule a weekly reboot of an
> SBS machine on the web, and have found very little useful information.
> Ultimately I'd like to be able to schedule a reboot using at, so I
> guess I need to know how to shut the machine down from the console.
> Any ideas/comments/criticisms? ;)

> On another note, I've tried to change the administrator
> password on my local SBS, and everything wanted to fall apart.
> Is there a trick to this? Something I've forgotten?
> It seems to have rather efficiently destroyed the SBS Management
> 'thingy' as well, so I guess a re-install of sorts is on the cards.

> Any help would be appreciated,
> Chris.

Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Post by Obsydi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

heh, yeah... it got changed through User Manager *looks guilty*
but that's because the SBS Console keeps coming up with
ActiveX Security messages *wince*

Now I guess I should fix that before I waste anyone else's
time with silly questions... Thanks, and my apologies :)

Chris

Quote:>How did you change the Admin password........User Manager or the SBS
>console?
>I know it is not recommended in SBS...as alot of services rely on it.
>There is a KB Article on MS......
>Tami, MCP, CNA

Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Post by Obsydi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for that Peter, knew there was an easy answer to it
somewhere...

Chris

Quote:>Get the NT Resource kit.  There is a command line shutdown/reboot program in
>it.  Can force a shutdown or a restart.

>                                                        Peter

Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Post by Michael Burnfor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you use a UPS to power your server (and you should!) check the UPS
software as this must be able to shut the server down cleanly before the
battery runs out if the power cut goes on too long.

I use APC SmartUPS units which have PowerChute software. With this I set the
UPS to shutdown every week. I also power the modem, ISDN T/A, etc from the
UPS so they also get rebooted.

Michael Burnford

Scheduled Reboot and Admin password in SBS

Post by JLGodsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Michael, my technical support told me PowerChute isn't supported by SBS and he
never hooked it up.  My UPS works (of course only when I am in the office to
shut down).  Was there an update of some sort?  We installed 4/98.  I'm getting
e*d.  Thanks.

Jami

Quote:>If you use a UPS to power your server (and you should!) check the UPS
>software as this must be able to shut the server down cleanly before the
>battery runs out if the power cut goes on too long.

>I use APC SmartUPS units which have PowerChute software. With this I set the
>UPS to shutdown every week. I also power the modem, ISDN T/A, etc from the
>UPS so they also get rebooted.

>Michael Burnford

1. network drives, log ins, passwords

Is it possible to automate logins to other certain
computers on the network after the server log in? I would
like to accomplish this in the log-in script for the users
so they don't have to manually browse the network and log
in to certain pcs that they normally use in addition to
the server and their workstations

2. 2000 and XP network data difficulties

3. scheduled reboot wanted

4. how to debug the startup sequence

5. reboot as scheduled task - how to do it???

6. FS: A2000 KEYBOARD

7. SBS4.5 runs out of license numbers, but it's not true / scheduled reboot

8. Password Recovery Question: Getting AD Admin password from DS Restore Mode

9. Scheduled Reboot

10. Automatic or Scheduled reboot

11. Schedule Reboots

12. Change Admin account and password on SBS 4.0