Junk Email - 3rd party filtering software for SBS4.5/Exch5.5?

Junk Email - 3rd party filtering software for SBS4.5/Exch5.5?

Post by Tom Walke » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:49:58

We're getting big increases in the number of junk emails received - can
anyone recommend appropriate 3rd party software for a <20 user SBS 4.5 +
Exchange 5.5 system?

Thanks in advance

Tom Walker

Junk Email - 3rd party filtering software for SBS4.5/Exch5.5?

Post by Al William » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:28:57

If your users are receiving spam mail and you want to stop it the only ways
are:

1) Tell your users to stop putting their email addresses on the internet,
newsgroups, and mailling lists.  Use hotmail or other alternates for this.

2) Get a third party tool for exchange to try and filter out spam by
content, try:
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/content_control.htm

3) Use Outlook's built in rules to filter out mail by content.  For more
info, try:
http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm

4) Block known spammers IP addresses in the exchange administrator.
Unfortunately, most spammers spoof the return address making it impossible
to block them easily -- you need to look at the internet headers and block
the originating mail servers IP (nothing to do with the emails return
address).

Usually #1 and #3 works the best I've found.  Option #2 can be expensive and
hard to configure.

<from an old 2002-04 post - never hurts to search with www.Google\groups
before you post! >

Allan Williams

Quote:> We're getting big increases in the number of junk emails received - can