Need HELP with NT 4.0 Partitioning

Post by Dave » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:27:52

I know this is pretty lenghty but I've included the
details (I hope).  If you read it and think you know
where I can get help, please let me know.  Thanks.....

I have a an NT 4.0 SP6 server with 3 x 9.1 Gb HDs.
Disk 0 died on me and I found a very close 9.1 Gb
replacement.
In Disk Administrator, all drives including the new disk0
indicate a 8676 Mb capacity.  OK, so far.

Before disk 0 died, I had:
Logical C: mirrored from disk 1 to disk 0 at 2000Mb.
Logical E: striped w/ parity across disks 0, 1, & 2 at
6675 Mb.
Logical F: as the Primary partition on disk 2 at 2000Mb.
I'm attempting to restore the original state of disk 0.

My problem:
I mirrored C: from disk 1 to disk 0 which consumed 2000Mb
as expected.  However, the free space left is indicated
by Disk Administrator to be only 6669.  I need 6675 to be
able to regenerate E: (6675 Mb) on disk 0 from disks 1 &
2.
Disk Administrator indicates disk 0 capacity as 8675Mb
(same as disks 1 & 2).  What's going on?  Where is the
additional space and how do I reclaim it?

To make matters worse:
I thought I'd break the mirror of C: (it's now G:),
delete the partition and reformat disk 0 to recover all
space. Ha!  Yeah, right!

I now have partition G: on disk 0 at 2000 Mb that is
active so I can't delete it and it contains NT system
files so I can't reformat it.
I only have 6669Mb of Free Space left to regenerate a
stripe set of 6675 - which doesn't fly.

What to do?  Help is very much appreciated.
-Dave

Need HELP with NT 4.0 Partitioning

Post by SuperGumb » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:24:54

use partition magic to:

delete the partition on disk0. and
resize the boot/system partition on drive1 down by 10MB

boot off drive1 and mirror it to drive0 then regenerate your RAID5.

Quote:> I know this is pretty lenghty but I've included the
> details (I hope).  If you read it and think you know
> where I can get help, please let me know.  Thanks.....

> I have a an NT 4.0 SP6 server with 3 x 9.1 Gb HDs.
> Disk 0 died on me and I found a very close 9.1 Gb
> replacement.
> In Disk Administrator, all drives including the new disk0
> indicate a 8676 Mb capacity.  OK, so far.

> Before disk 0 died, I had:
> Logical C: mirrored from disk 1 to disk 0 at 2000Mb.
> Logical E: striped w/ parity across disks 0, 1, & 2 at
> 6675 Mb.
> Logical F: as the Primary partition on disk 2 at 2000Mb.
> I'm attempting to restore the original state of disk 0.

> My problem:
> I mirrored C: from disk 1 to disk 0 which consumed 2000Mb
> as expected.  However, the free space left is indicated
> by Disk Administrator to be only 6669.  I need 6675 to be
> able to regenerate E: (6675 Mb) on disk 0 from disks 1 &
> 2.
> Disk Administrator indicates disk 0 capacity as 8675Mb
> (same as disks 1 & 2).  What's going on?  Where is the
> additional space and how do I reclaim it?

> To make matters worse:
> I thought I'd break the mirror of C: (it's now G:),
> delete the partition and reformat disk 0 to recover all
> space. Ha!  Yeah, right!

> I now have partition G: on disk 0 at 2000 Mb that is
> active so I can't delete it and it contains NT system
> files so I can't reformat it.
> I only have 6669Mb of Free Space left to regenerate a
> stripe set of 6675 - which doesn't fly.

> What to do?  Help is very much appreciated.
> -Dave

1. Need help migrating profiles from NT 4.0 to SBS 4.5

Thanks, Jeff. I've downloaded the attachments, printed them, etc. I'll give it a shot.

  Try this (sorry), see the attached files for more information leading up to this link.

  Migrating Windows NT Workstations to a New Domain

  About the only other option is to explore roaming profiles and relocate the profile folders from the original server to the new server, rename the home folder for the new username, but this is an inexact solution due to SIDs problems that are discussed in the attached documents.

  > I'm installing SBS 4.5 for a company that currently has been using an NT 4.0
  > domain. I'd love to have information about how I might migrate the user
  > profiles and settings of my clients from their current NT 4.0 domain to a
  > new SBS 4.5 system. They've grown to love having their desktops just so,
  > etc.

2. VxWorks symbol table problem

3. Need help : Migrating from Netware 3.12 to NT 4.0

4. Wanted : Carl Sims material

5. Need help on Windows NT 4.0 option pack installation.

6. EPOC/Symbian and Synchronization

7. need help to run samba for 95 and NT 4.0

8. Help please: Emerson UPS software needed

9. NT 4.0 and LINUX/SAMBA???? NEED HELP

10. HELP! UPGRADING NT SERVER 4.0 TO SBS 4.0

11. How to mount samba partition full-time on NT 4.0??

12. Need help with samba under hpux; wfwg okay; one NT box okay; 2nd NT box fails

13. I need to upgrade MS proxy 1 to 2 (I have NT SBS 4.0).