Remote client email advice needed

Post by Brian Howlet » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Here is my situation:

SBS 4.5 serving 12-15 clients in single office.
Dial up account / Domain hosting with ISP
Using domain aliasing / exchange server to distribute email.

I need to support e-mail for an out of state user.  He has his own ISP
account separate from our ours.  I set up an alias at our ISP to route
incoming mail to his personal account.

That works fine.  The problem I have is when we try to send him mail
from our office using the alias it can't find any such user.  I
understand
that exchange is looking internally for the account.  I need a way to
route this particular address through exchange.  I also understand that
this is a backwards way to accomplish my goal, but that's beside the
point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian S. Howlett
Lambert Architecture, PA

Remote client email advice needed

Post by Ptms » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Why not use inbox assistant to forward all e-mail to his isp account.
Internal users can still send to him using his local alias.

Only disadvantage is that when he does a "reply", the address pulled in is
HIS e-mail address at the office.

Roger.

> Here is my situation:

> SBS 4.5 serving 12-15 clients in single office.
> Dial up account / Domain hosting with ISP
> Using domain aliasing / exchange server to distribute email.

> I need to support e-mail for an out of state user.  He has his own ISP
> account separate from our ours.  I set up an alias at our ISP to route
> incoming mail to his personal account.

> That works fine.  The problem I have is when we try to send him mail
> from our office using the alias it can't find any such user.  I
> understand
> that exchange is looking internally for the account.  I need a way to
> route this particular address through exchange.  I also understand that
> this is a backwards way to accomplish my goal, but that's beside the
> point.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Brian S. Howlett
> Lambert Architecture, PA

Remote client email advice needed

Post by Neville Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I presume you have created an account for him in Exchange.

If so you need to associate this with a person who has a valid user
account. I'm not in front of my server but there is area where you do this
on one of the tabs. Check one of your users settings to see where it is and
then use any user in this area.

Neville

> Here is my situation:

> SBS 4.5 serving 12-15 clients in single office.
> Dial up account / Domain hosting with ISP
> Using domain aliasing / exchange server to distribute email.

> I need to support e-mail for an out of state user.  He has his own ISP
> account separate from our ours.  I set up an alias at our ISP to route
> incoming mail to his personal account.

> That works fine.  The problem I have is when we try to send him mail
> from our office using the alias it can't find any such user.  I
> understand
> that exchange is looking internally for the account.  I need a way to
> route this particular address through exchange.  I also understand that
> this is a backwards way to accomplish my goal, but that's beside the
> point.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Brian S. Howlett
> Lambert Architecture, PA

1. Advice Needed: Locating Clients to Remote Control

OK.  I'm working on upgrading my SMS 1.2 site to 2.0.  I'm pretty jacked, I
hate the 1.2 client now, its hell on our newer machines and it seems to
really get hosed up by McAfee which is our AV standard.  Anyway...

Going down my list of things I must figure out before I upgrade I've taken a
look today at how I'm going to support and equip our help desk with the new
MMC and Remote Tools.  We have about 15,000 SMS 1.2 clients at our local
site and I expect this number to rise with the more insidious 2.0 client.

Currently the help desk staff locate client workstations by running a query
that prompts them for the workstation name.  This is fairly easy, sometimes
a little slow, but not too bad.   So now I'm looking at 2.0 and trying to
figure out how to give them that same functionality.  A query in 2.0 doesn't
seem to enable you to use remote tools but rather simply learn the
workstation name so you can find it in a collection.

Maybe I'm having teething pains with 2.0 but that seems like a problem for
me.  Here's why.  My 10k+ clients work in fifty some odd different buildings
for dozens of organizations and suborgs.  So it isn't practical for me to
create a few little cute collections like 'Sales', 'Engineering' or 'People
in Building X'.   Likewise our NT groups and whatnot contain thousands of
people and while we have about 10 resource domains that the workstations are
in, those lists are really long too.  I just can't see our helpdesk people
pawing through these collections of thousands of computers looking for the
person they need to remote control.

Is there a better way to do this?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

- Dave Yarbrough

2. 28.8 Or Drm604 Only 899.00

3. Advice needed for staff wanting offline email access

4. Import Qif. file

5. Need remote access setup advice...SBS2000

6. Caution _ Heads Up

7. Need advice for server hardware configuration...also, is Win98 OK for SBS clients?

8. Problem using Carpedium V with my Palm Vx

9. Advice needed on SMS setup and client installation

10. REPOST: Backing Up PC Clients with smbtar - Need advice

11. Backing Up PC Clients with smbtar - Need advice

12. Dial-in to SBS - What do I need to do to the SBS, and remote client?

13. Remote server needs SMS Client reinstall