Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by David Elder » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:37:39

Hi all,

Strange one here. SBS2000 installation - mixture of W95, W98 and XP Pro
clients. ALL clients are intermittently losing their Firewall Client
connectivity (and thus the ability to browse the net or reach the 'external'
side - 2 x NICs/ISDN router - of our network). Connectivity appears to be
lost and reappear 'at random' although clients can still ping the Server and
connect to all shared folders and files upon it.

Could this be a WINS issue and where should we be looking to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

David Elders
Visual Management Systems Limited

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:04:08

Do you have VPN access configured on the SBS? If so, do the failures
coincide with someone using the VPN to come in?

If so, Q292822.

Have you checked that the internal nic is listed first in the binding order
under Control Panel | Network & DUN | Advanced | Advanced Settings.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
--------------------------

Quote:> Hi all,

> Strange one here. SBS2000 installation - mixture of W95, W98 and XP Pro
> clients. ALL clients are intermittently losing their Firewall Client
> connectivity (and thus the ability to browse the net or reach the
'external'
> side - 2 x NICs/ISDN router - of our network). Connectivity appears to be
> lost and reappear 'at random' although clients can still ping the Server
and
> connect to all shared folders and files upon it.

> Could this be a WINS issue and where should we be looking to resolve this?

> Thanks in advance,

> David Elders
> Visual Management Systems Limited

---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by David Elder » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:25:38

Hi Steve,

External card was first in the list - moved internal card to 1st in list,
external to 2nd in list and remote access connections to bottom. Site is
remote from me so will update you when it is apparent if this cured things.
Pretty sure it's not down to RAS access as it was doing it when we were all
on-site so no-one was coming in via RAS...

Thanks for the quick response...

Cheers,

David

> Do you have VPN access configured on the SBS? If so, do the failures
> coincide with someone using the VPN to come in?

> If so, Q292822.

> Have you checked that the internal nic is listed first in the binding
order
> under Control Panel | Network & DUN | Advanced | Advanced Settings.

> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> --------------------------
> MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > Hi all,

> > Strange one here. SBS2000 installation - mixture of W95, W98 and XP Pro
> > clients. ALL clients are intermittently losing their Firewall Client
> > connectivity (and thus the ability to browse the net or reach the
> 'external'
> > side - 2 x NICs/ISDN router - of our network). Connectivity appears to
be
> > lost and reappear 'at random' although clients can still ping the Server
> and
> > connect to all shared folders and files upon it.

> > Could this be a WINS issue and where should we be looking to resolve
this?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > David Elders
> > Visual Management Systems Limited

> ---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by David Elder » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:46:24

Hi Steve,

Changing the binding order didn't appear to have any 'live' impact at all.
Still the same problems. Now trying the following:

*) Manually configure 1 client to disable WINS operation
**) Shut down all client PCs
***) Shut down Server
****) Reboot Server
*****) Reboot client PCs
******) Run NBTSTAT -RR on ALL clients to refresh WINS addressing

Will then see how things progress. In the meantime, not VPN-ing into the
site in case that is anything to do with it. Will update you all later on
today...

Cheers,

David

> Do you have VPN access configured on the SBS? If so, do the failures
> coincide with someone using the VPN to come in?

> If so, Q292822.

> Have you checked that the internal nic is listed first in the binding
order
> under Control Panel | Network & DUN | Advanced | Advanced Settings.

> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> --------------------------
> MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > Hi all,

> > Strange one here. SBS2000 installation - mixture of W95, W98 and XP Pro
> > clients. ALL clients are intermittently losing their Firewall Client
> > connectivity (and thus the ability to browse the net or reach the
> 'external'
> > side - 2 x NICs/ISDN router - of our network). Connectivity appears to
be
> > lost and reappear 'at random' although clients can still ping the Server
> and
> > connect to all shared folders and files upon it.

> > Could this be a WINS issue and where should we be looking to resolve
this?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > David Elders
> > Visual Management Systems Limited

> ---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by David Elder » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:03:08

Hi again Steve,

One thing I noticed which does spring to mind. In RRAS, it is configured to
use the INTERNAL NIC for DHCP addressing of RAS clients - is this correct or
could this be the problem?

Cheers,

David

> Do you have VPN access configured on the SBS? If so, do the failures
> coincide with someone using the VPN to come in?

> If so, Q292822.

> Have you checked that the internal nic is listed first in the binding
order
> under Control Panel | Network & DUN | Advanced | Advanced Settings.

> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> --------------------------
> MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > Hi all,

> > Strange one here. SBS2000 installation - mixture of W95, W98 and XP Pro
> > clients. ALL clients are intermittently losing their Firewall Client
> > connectivity (and thus the ability to browse the net or reach the
> 'external'
> > side - 2 x NICs/ISDN router - of our network). Connectivity appears to
be
> > lost and reappear 'at random' although clients can still ping the Server
> and
> > connect to all shared folders and files upon it.

> > Could this be a WINS issue and where should we be looking to resolve
this?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > David Elders
> > Visual Management Systems Limited

> ---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by Mark » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:03:10

David,

The following worked for me..

http://www.sbs2000.info/logon_problems.htm

& also in the Firewall Client setup (& also the proxy server entry in
Internet Connections for IE) replace the server name with the IP address...

All the stuff about the WINS type & lmhosts etc etc just seems to be
providing more ways to resolve the netbios names - specifying the IP addr
directly solves it once & for all,

have fun!
Mark

Quote:> Hi all,

> Strange one here. SBS2000 installation - mixture of W95, W98 and XP Pro
> clients. ALL clients are intermittently losing their Firewall Client
> connectivity (and thus the ability to browse the net or reach the
'external'
> side - 2 x NICs/ISDN router - of our network). Connectivity appears to be
> lost and reappear 'at random' although clients can still ping the Server
and
> connect to all shared folders and files upon it.

> Could this be a WINS issue and where should we be looking to resolve this?

> Thanks in advance,

> David Elders
> Visual Management Systems Limited

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by David Elder » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:06:24

Hi Steve,

Did find out that we had a switch configured on the LAN with an IP address
on the EXTERNAL range. Reconfigured this as soon as we noticed it but
*thought* that this would be the cause/fix - problems remain... :-(

Thanks for the Ping tip - will try that. I have noticed that when firewall
connectivity was lost, bringing up IE had it looking for a different IP
address than that of the Server for some reason (although the home page was
set to the SBS User Guide on the Server)... would this indicate the same
type of problem...?

Is there a nice easy way of scrubbing and recreating either/both DHCP and/or
WINS databases if these have been confused - possibly by the switch being
misconfigured?

Cheers,

David

> If/when you next get a client PC stop recognising the ISA server, try
doing
> a "ping <ServerName>" and see what you get. If it's not the SBS internal
IP,
> [...]

> > David

> > > Do you have VPN access configured on the SBS? If so, do the failures
> > > coincide with someone using the VPN to come in?

> > > If so, Q292822.

> > > Have you checked that the internal nic is listed first in the binding
> > order
> > > under Control Panel | Network & DUN | Advanced | Advanced Settings.

> > > --
> > > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> > > --------------------------
> > > MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> Pro
> > > 'external'
> > be
> Server
> > > and

> > this?

> > > ---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by jimbehn.. » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:51:57

Stop WINS service. Go find the WINS folders and delete all entries
within the folder. Restart WINS and all entries needed to let WINS run
will be recreated. This is after you have made sure your binding order
is correct. If you are in the USA you should go ahead and do
everything listed in the Q292822 article including the free patch. It
is standard procedure on every server we build to do this procedure.

>Hi Steve,

>Did find out that we had a switch configured on the LAN with an IP address
>on the EXTERNAL range. Reconfigured this as soon as we noticed it but
>*thought* that this would be the cause/fix - problems remain... :-(

>Thanks for the Ping tip - will try that. I have noticed that when firewall
>connectivity was lost, bringing up IE had it looking for a different IP
>address than that of the Server for some reason (although the home page was
>set to the SBS User Guide on the Server)... would this indicate the same
>type of problem...?

>Is there a nice easy way of scrubbing and recreating either/both DHCP and/or
>WINS databases if these have been confused - possibly by the switch being
>misconfigured?

>Cheers,

>David

>> If/when you next get a client PC stop recognising the ISA server, try
>doing
>> a "ping <ServerName>" and see what you get. If it's not the SBS internal
>IP,
>> but another internal IP, go for Q292822.

>> --
>> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
>> --------------------------
>> MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

>> > Hi Steve,

>> > Changing the binding order didn't appear to have any 'live' impact at
>all.
>> > Still the same problems. Now trying the following:

>> > *) Manually configure 1 client to disable WINS operation
>> > **) Shut down all client PCs
>> > ***) Shut down Server
>> > ****) Reboot Server
>> > *****) Reboot client PCs
>> > ******) Run NBTSTAT -RR on ALL clients to refresh WINS addressing

>> > Will then see how things progress. In the meantime, not VPN-ing into the
>> > site in case that is anything to do with it. Will update you all later
>on
>> > today...

>> > Cheers,

>> > David

>> > order

>> Pro

Jim B.

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 06:40:31

Incorrect IP resolution of the server's name is what I was looking for...

Since you've found it, you need Q292822 for definite.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
--------------------------
> [...]

> > but another internal IP, go for Q292822.

> > --
> > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> > --------------------------
> > MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > > Hi Steve,

> > > Changing the binding order didn't appear to have any 'live' impact at
> all.
> > > Still the same problems. Now trying the following:

> > > *) Manually configure 1 client to disable WINS operation
> > > **) Shut down all client PCs
> > > ***) Shut down Server
> > > ****) Reboot Server
> > > *****) Reboot client PCs
> > > ******) Run NBTSTAT -RR on ALL clients to refresh WINS addressing

> > > Will then see how things progress. In the meantime, not VPN-ing into
the
> > > site in case that is anything to do with it. Will update you all later

---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by David Elder » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:24:03

Hi Steve,

That would be fine if only there was an easy way of getting a UK Microsoft
phone number through their 'tangled' website... Given that the file
mentioned is only 200k is there anyone out there who would be prepared to
email us it (off-list if they preferred)? Would save us a lot of time
chasing around looking for phone numbers and then starting this entire
discussion again from scratch with MS...

Cheers (and thanks in advance),

David Elders
david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.fos...@picamar.co.uk> wrote in message

> [...]

> > IP,
> > > but another internal IP, go for Q292822.

> > > --
> > > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> > > --------------------------
> > > MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > > "David Elders" <david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk> wrote in message

> > all.

> the
> > on

> binding
Settings.

> newsgroups.

> XP
> > > Pro
> Client
> appears
> > > Server

> resolve

> ---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by Chris Leech, MC » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:37:01

try

0870 50 10 100    MS Product Support Services
0870 60 10 100    MS Contact Centre Number
0870 60 70 700    MS Channel Connection

> [...]

> > resolve

> > > doing
> internal
> > > IP,

newsgroups.

> at
> > > all.

> > the
> later
> > > on

> message
> failures

> > binding
> Settings.

> > newsgroups.

> > XP
> > Client
> the
> > appears
> the

> > resolve

> > ---

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:49:01

It would be the first one - PSS.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
--------------------------

"Chris Leech, MCP" <kingbeake...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> try

> 0870 50 10 100    MS Product Support Services
> 0870 60 10 100    MS Contact Centre Number
> 0870 60 70 700    MS Channel Connection

> "David Elders" <david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi Steve,

> > That would be fine if only there was an easy way of getting a UK
Microsoft
> > phone number through their 'tangled' website... Given that the file
> > mentioned is only 200k is there anyone out there who would be prepared
> > email us it (off-list if they preferred)? Would save us a lot of time
> > chasing around looking for phone numbers and then starting this entire
> > discussion again from scratch with MS...

> > Cheers (and thanks in advance),

> > David Elders
> > david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk

> > "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.fos...@picamar.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Incorrect IP resolution of the server's name is what I was looking
> for...

> > > Since you've found it, you need Q292822 for definite.

> > > --
> > > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> > > --------------------------
> > > MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > > "David Elders" <david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk> wrote in message

> > address

> > firewall
> IP
> page
> > > was
> same

DHCP
> > > and/or
> > being

> try
> > internal

> newsgroups.

> > at

addressing

> into
> > > the
> > later

> > message
> > failures

> > > binding
> > Settings.

> > > newsgroups.

> and
> > > XP
Firewall
> > > Client
> > the
> > > appears
> > the

> > > resolve

16/2/2002

> try
> > internal

> newsgroups.

> > at

addressing

> into
> > > the
> > later

> > message
> > failures

> > > binding
> > Settings.

> > > newsgroups.

> and
> > > XP
Firewall
> > > Client
> > the
> > > appears
> > the

> > > resolve

16/2/2002

> > > ---

read more »

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by Steve Foster [SBS MVP » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:55:56

And the first thing they'll do is ask for a credit card number, but it won't
actually cost you anything once you explain that you need a Q hotfix.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
--------------------------
MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

"Chris Leech, MCP" <kingbeake...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> try

> 0870 50 10 100    MS Product Support Services
> 0870 60 10 100    MS Contact Centre Number
> 0870 60 70 700    MS Channel Connection

> "David Elders" <david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi Steve,

> > That would be fine if only there was an easy way of getting a UK
Microsoft
> > phone number through their 'tangled' website... Given that the file
> > mentioned is only 200k is there anyone out there who would be prepared
> > email us it (off-list if they preferred)? Would save us a lot of time
> > chasing around looking for phone numbers and then starting this entire
> > discussion again from scratch with MS...

> > Cheers (and thanks in advance),

> > David Elders
> > david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk

> > "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.fos...@picamar.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Incorrect IP resolution of the server's name is what I was looking
> for...

> > > Since you've found it, you need Q292822 for definite.

> > > --
> > > Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> > > --------------------------
> > > MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> > > "David Elders" <david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk> wrote in message

> > address

> > firewall
> IP
> page
> > > was
> same

DHCP
> > > and/or
> > being

> try
> > internal

> newsgroups.

> > at

addressing

> into
> > > the
> > later

> > message
> > failures

> > > binding
> > Settings.

> > > newsgroups.

> and
> > > XP
Firewall
> > > Client
> > the
> > > appears
> > the

> > > resolve

16/2/2002

> try
> > internal

> newsgroups.

> > at

addressing

> into
> > > the
> > later

> > message
> > failures

> > > binding
> > Settings.

> > > newsgroups.

> and
> > > XP
Firewall
> > > Client
> > the
> > > appears
> > the

> > > resolve

16/2/2002

> > > ---

read more »

Browsing Problems/Firewall Clients 'losing' connection to Server...

Post by David Elder » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:39:50

Good old MS - on the ball as usual... is it only the rest of us who work
outwith their "Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm" hours???

Damn good support MS for a 200k file... >-(

> And the first thing they'll do is ask for a credit card number, but it
won't
> actually cost you anything once you explain that you need a Q hotfix.

> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
> --------------------------
> MVP's do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> "Chris Leech, MCP" <kingbeake...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > try

> > 0870 50 10 100    MS Product Support Services
> > 0870 60 10 100    MS Contact Centre Number
> > 0870 60 70 700    MS Channel Connection

> > "David Elders" <david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hi Steve,

> > > That would be fine if only there was an easy way of getting a UK
> Microsoft
> > > phone number through their 'tangled' website... Given that the file
> > > mentioned is only 200k is there anyone out there who would be prepared
> > > email us it (off-list if they preferred)? Would save us a lot of time
> > > chasing around looking for phone numbers and then starting this entire
> > > discussion again from scratch with MS...

> > > Cheers (and thanks in advance),

> > > David Elders
> > > david.eld...@akdsystems.co.uk

> > > "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.fos...@picamar.co.uk> wrote in message
> > for...

newsgroups.

> > > address
> but
:-(

> > > firewall
> > IP
> > page
> > same

> DHCP
> > > being

> message
> > try
> > > internal

> > newsgroups.

> impact
> > > at

> addressing

VPN-ing
> > into
> > > later

> > > message
> > > failures

> > > Settings.

> message

W98
> > and
> Firewall
> reach
> > > the
Connectivity
> ping
> > > the

> 16/2/2002

> > try
> > > internal

> > newsgroups.

> impact
> > > at

> addressing

VPN-ing
> > into
> > > later

> > > message
> > > failures

> > > Settings.

> message

W98
> > and
> Firewall
> reach
> > > the
Connectivity

read more »

1. FAX: Clients 'Network access is denied' to the 'Fax on SERVER' queue

Amazingly enough, even when they have full rights to the printer, there
appears to be some other place where the fax message is being stopped from
accessing the printer.

Using the Administrator log-in on the server, and testing the faxing from
WrdPad, all works fine. However, as soon as a client PC tries they get a an
error, and the printer queue goes Offline.

If I login to a client PC as Administrator, the 'Network access is denied'
message goes away, but the result is the same, no fax pops into the queue on
the server, and the queue on the PC is put Offline with the job pending.

I reinstalled the fax server software, with the faxstore directory on the
d:\ partition rather than the c:\, apart from that all the names are
correct.

The only wierd thing is that we used to have an old win95 PC that worked as
a fax server (until Winfax was upgraded), and that PC was called FAX. I
deleted the user though, and also the shares for FAX

Maybe there is some strange legacy stuff hanging around there that it has
not got rid of?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Christopher
please remove appropriate Caps from email address when replying, thanks

2. pForCe, pdefs.h, pfms31.lib

3. Client doesn't show up as 'SMS Client' on SMS Server console

4. sleep(), usleep(), ...

5. Client PC's can't browse Network Neighborhood

6. 16-bit *x toolset is missing ONE program! Would like to port

7. XP Clients can't browse but can connect (1 of several XP query's)

8. Microsoft Transcriber in spanish?

9. '12207 Proxy dialout connection failed' on all client PCs

10. 2.0 Clients Installations : ''system management site not configured to manage your computer''

11. samba: can't browse linux server from win98 client

12. 'logon server' or 'domain logons'?