HP 4000 TN install

Post by Bill Hathawa » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm having a tough time with the install of a new HP 4000 TN laser printer.
Everything seems to be up and running. The IP stack on the printer checks
out and I can see the thing through DHCP Manager. But, when I go to install
the JetDirect software on the server, I can't browse and find the printer.

There must be a better way. Any help gratefully received.

BT
Bill Hathaway

HP 4000 TN install

Post by Birk Binnar » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

The steps you listed are the standard steps for adding a JetDirect printer
to a network.  (It's nice to see that these steps work with SBS too -- I was
a little worried that they wouldn't.)

PCL is the HP Printer Control Language (the protocol used by the printer
driver to talk to the printe)r.  In general it is best to pick the latest
version (PCL 6) because they keep putting little goodies in the new
versions.  PostScript is an alternative (non-HP) printer language used
primarily by UNIX and Macintosh systems, but also by some PC-based programs
like PageMaker.  I'd suggest you not use the PostScript one unless you know
you have a specific requirement for it.  PostScript is an interpreted
control language which means it takes more memory on the printer and runs
slower.
--
Birk Binnard
Peninsula Software

Quote:>Merry Xmas,

>I have just setup a HP 4000 N. Everything cam OK first time round. The
steps
>followed were:

>1.    Setup 4000 N with all options & ensure it is connected to the
network.
>I did a test print and the DHCP had allocated an IP Address.
>2.    Load the HP4000 N NT software. Set the printer to local port LPT1:
>3.    Run HP JetHadmin & check that it can see the Laser
>4.    Modify the properties of one of the HP 4000 printer definitions.
>5.    Add port HP Jet Direct & Select the Laser
>6.    Test Print

>I get three printer definitions - for PCL5, PCL6 & PostScript. I am
>wondering which is the best to user.

HP 4000 TN install

Post by Lex O'Conno » Fri, 26 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Merry Xmas,

I have just setup a HP 4000 N. Everything cam OK first time round. The steps
followed were:

1.    Setup 4000 N with all options & ensure it is connected to the network.
I did a test print and the DHCP had allocated an IP Address.
2.    Load the HP4000 N NT software. Set the printer to local port LPT1:
3.    Run HP JetHadmin & check that it can see the Laser
4.    Modify the properties of one of the HP 4000 printer definitions.
5.    Add port HP Jet Direct & Select the Laser
6.    Test Print

I get three printer definitions - for PCL5, PCL6 & PostScript. I am
wondering which is the best to user.

Lex

>I'm having a tough time with the install of a new HP 4000 TN laser printer.
>Everything seems to be up and running. The IP stack on the printer checks
>out and I can see the thing through DHCP Manager. But, when I go to install
>the JetDirect software on the server, I can't browse and find the printer.

>There must be a better way. Any help gratefully received.

>--
>Thanks,
>BT
>Bill Hathaway

HP 4000 TN install

Post by Bill Hathawa » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Lex,

Thank you. The part I was missing was setting the local printer port to LPT1
while installing the software. This did dawn on me shortly after I posted
the question and I got everything to install nicely. What a huge difference
from* the printer off a peer LPT.

I think I can get used to having a server in the office.

Have a great New Year.

BT

Quote:>Merry Xmas,

>I have just setup a HP 4000 N. Everything cam OK first time round. The
steps
>followed were:

>1.    Setup 4000 N with all options & ensure it is connected to the
network.
>I did a test print and the DHCP had allocated an IP Address.
>2.    Load the HP4000 N NT software. Set the printer to local port LPT1:
>3.    Run HP JetHadmin & check that it can see the Laser
>4.    Modify the properties of one of the HP 4000 printer definitions.
>5.    Add port HP Jet Direct & Select the Laser
>6.    Test Print

>I get three printer definitions - for PCL5, PCL6 & PostScript. I am
>wondering which is the best to user.

>Lex

1. HP 4000 printer PCL printer driver problem

Hi!

I have HP 4000 printer on samba 2.2.3. I can install drivers from samba
on WIn98, WinNt4.0 and Win2000 clients. The problem is that only PCL6 /
PCL5e drivers for Win98 are working o.k. With WinNT and Win2000
everythings works (e.g. printing test page, Word freezes when selecting
PCL driver) sloooow or even freezes application. PostScript driver works
o.k. for all clients.

PCL driver, when installed localy (not automatic download and install
from samba) works o.k.

Any idea why?

Thanx,

Damijan

2. Here is the May 96 Bug List for VB4.0

3. SMTP Event 4000

4. workflow

5. Event ID: 4000 TrueImage Interpreter

6. BUILD YOUR OWN C`A.B,L,E B,O`X...FREE C`A.B,L.E`...... 8589

7. how can i create 4000 empty folders

8. Out of memory in system startup?

9. Problem with Driveimage 4.0 using MSDOS Network Client & Maxattach 4000 NAS

10. Samba dead slow with read buffer size over 4000 bytes

11. Samba (Amiga 4000) and Win98SE

12. Help! Application error when using HP 4000 Printing System 1.1

13. Lock Problems on HP running HP-UX B.10.01 /Samba 1.9.15p7