Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

Post by James W. Till » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Can the modem being used for the fax service also be used as a shared modem
in a modem pool or as a DUN modem while the fax service is running?  When I
try to dial in via RAS, I get an error in the application log which says
that an unknown fax device attempted to dial in, and the RAS connection
doesn't work.

Thanks,

JT

Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

Post by Grey Lancaste » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

QUESTION: Well now what kind of modem can answer a call and decide if the
user is a RAS user or a FAX?

ANSWER: An adaptive answer modem supported by sbs.  There are about 5 to
choose from and some come in internal and external.  Note most of the
supported ones are 33,6 not 56k.

But if you do not have fax server set to receive you can use one modem for
everything else including in/out RAS and FAX out
--
Grey Lancaster

http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/sbs.htm

list

Quote:> Can the modem being used for the fax service also be used as a shared
modem
> in a modem pool or as a DUN modem while the fax service is running?  When
> try to dial in via RAS, I get an error in the application log which says
> that an unknown fax device attempted to dial in, and the RAS connection
> doesn't work.

> Thanks,

> JT

Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

Post by James W. Till » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

My modem is a Zoom 56K faxmodem internal.  I doubt that it is one of the
"adaptive answer" modems to which you refer...which means I will probably
need another modem, and another phone line, right?  Will I also need a THIRD
modem, and a THIRD phone line for a shared modem, or will the RAS modem
suffice for that task?

Thanks, Grey,

JT

>QUESTION: Well now what kind of modem can answer a call and decide if the
>user is a RAS user or a FAX?

>ANSWER: An adaptive answer modem supported by sbs.  There are about 5 to
>choose from and some come in internal and external.  Note most of the
>supported ones are 33,6 not 56k.

>But if you do not have fax server set to receive you can use one modem for
>everything else including in/out RAS and FAX out

Modems for Fax server and Modem sharing

Post by Grey Lancaste » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

you will need 2 modems to receive faxes and ras calls on the same box.  But
the shared modems/proxy can still dial out on either/both with if busy use
next port checked.  ( hey whats this? Cool!)

If it is a business line they get pricey.  I would consider "ring master"
is what it is called here.  Another phone number for $ 3.00 a month and a
box from office depot ($80.00) that seperates the calls according to the
ring.
--
Grey Lancaster

http://web.infoave.net/~solutions/sbs.htm

list

> My modem is a Zoom 56K faxmodem internal.  I doubt that it is one of the
> "adaptive answer" modems to which you refer...which means I will probably
> need another modem, and another phone line, right?  Will I also need a
THIRD
> modem, and a THIRD phone line for a shared modem, or will the RAS modem
> suffice for that task?

> Thanks, Grey,

> JT

> >QUESTION: Well now what kind of modem can answer a call and decide if
the
> >user is a RAS user or a FAX?

> >ANSWER: An adaptive answer modem supported by sbs.  There are about 5 to
> >choose from and some come in internal and external.  Note most of the
> >supported ones are 33,6 not 56k.

> >But if you do not have fax server set to receive you can use one modem
for
> >everything else including in/out RAS and FAX out

1. Fax Sharing/Modem Sharing with one modem

Hi there, I have spent most of the morning googling this one but decided to
ask as I didn't get anywhere!

We have an SBS 2000 box with one modem that we are currently using to
receive faxes using Fax Sharing.  Is there any way that the same modem can
be used to dial out using modem sharing?  At the moment whenever the fax
service is in receive mode it locks the port stopping us from dialling out.
I am kind of assuming that the only option will be another modem but I
wanted to ask in case there was some trick I could use.

If we do have to get another modem does anyone know what implications there
are to using a USB modem with the shared modem service?  I ask because the
server only has one COM port.

Thanks,
Richard.

2. Need 32-bit random number algorithm

3. Modem Share doesn't find my fax/ modem now

4. Old Style Rural Number on Sitcom (was: Phones in the Movies)

5. Microsoft Exchange Server , Fax Server & Modem Sharing Server

6. English-French MT

7. RAS server, Fax server and modem sharing server conflicts in SBS 4.5

8. SBS Shared Modem + IE4 uses shared modem AND Proxy Dial-out!?%$

9. Can Proxy share modems with Modem Sharing?

10. Modem Sharing: Can't access server modem from Client

11. sbs2000 multiple fax modems and multiple shared fax printers ??

12. Shared modem service & shared fax service