Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Post by Rick Marti » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:46:23

I have a client I need to upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000.  But...it has to
be done on the "same" box.  The existing box has SBS 4.5 on C:\, and
user/company files/mailboxes/SQL Server db's on D:\ and E:\.

From those that have already upgraded, do you think the way to go is to try
the upgrade in place, or to do a clean install on C:\ and then load Exchange
mailboxes, SQL db's, and user files from the backup?  I know how to do the
SQL db's and user files, but how do I go about bringing across the Exchange
5.5 mailboxes to Exchange 2000?

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Thanks! Rick

Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Post by Wayne Shepher » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 08:02:02

Hi Rick

At this link
http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/techinfo/deployment/2000/MigrationU...
p the following excerpt might help"
-------------
Those who choose to upgrade the Small Business Server 4.x installation on
the same computer should follow the process outlined in Small Business
Server 2000 Planning and Installation Guide Chapter 16, "Installing Small
Business Server 2000."
-------------

Actually I think it is Chapter 15 not 16 as stated above!

Chapter 15 Upgrading to Small Business Server 2000

This chapter describes the preparation and steps required when upgrading
from Microsoft? BackOffice? Small Business Server 4.5 to Microsoft Small
Business Server 2000.
 Important   If you plan to upgrade Small Business Server 4.5 to Small
Business Server 2000 on a new computer, refer to Appendix D in this guide or
to the white paper, "Small Business Server 2000 Migration Upgrade," located
in the \upgrade folder on Small Business Server 2000 Setup Disc 1 (or the
Small Business Server 2000 installation digital video disc [DVD]) .

Hope this helps

Wayne Shepherd

Quote:> I have a client I need to upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000.  But...it has
> be done on the "same" box.  The existing box has SBS 4.5 on C:\, and
> user/company files/mailboxes/SQL Server db's on D:\ and E:\.

> From those that have already upgraded, do you think the way to go is to
try
> the upgrade in place, or to do a clean install on C:\ and then load
Exchange
> mailboxes, SQL db's, and user files from the backup?  I know how to do the
> SQL db's and user files, but how do I go about bringing across the
Exchange
> 5.5 mailboxes to Exchange 2000?

> Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

> Thanks! Rick

begin 666 important.gif
M1TE&.#EA" `+`(#_`'\``,# P"'Y! $```$`+ `````(``L`0 (.C(\!D,JY
56FRT3G3KN04`._9BC3A?MO/:"0`[
`
end

Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Post by Wayne Shepher » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:59:06

Hi - further to my previous post , I have just read there is an "Exchange
Server 5.5 Migration Tool" included with Exchange 2000 SP1.

Wayne Shepherd

Quote:> Hi Rick

> At this link

http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/techinfo/deployment/2000/MigrationU...
> the following excerpt might help"
> -------------
> Those who choose to upgrade the Small Business Server 4.x installation on
> the same computer should follow the process outlined in Small Business
> Server 2000 Planning and Installation Guide Chapter 16, "Installing Small
> Business Server 2000."
> -------------

> Actually I think it is Chapter 15 not 16 as stated above!

> Chapter 15 Upgrading to Small Business Server 2000

> This chapter describes the preparation and steps required when upgrading
> from Microsoft? BackOffice? Small Business Server 4.5 to Microsoft Small
> Business Server 2000.
>  Important   If you plan to upgrade Small Business Server 4.5 to Small
> Business Server 2000 on a new computer, refer to Appendix D in this guide
or
> to the white paper, "Small Business Server 2000 Migration Upgrade,"
located
> in the \upgrade folder on Small Business Server 2000 Setup Disc 1 (or the
> Small Business Server 2000 installation digital video disc [DVD]) .

> Hope this helps

> Wayne Shepherd

> > I have a client I need to upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000.  But...it
has
> > be done on the "same" box.  The existing box has SBS 4.5 on C:\, and
> > user/company files/mailboxes/SQL Server db's on D:\ and E:\.

> > From those that have already upgraded, do you think the way to go is to
> try
> > the upgrade in place, or to do a clean install on C:\ and then load
> Exchange
> > mailboxes, SQL db's, and user files from the backup?  I know how to do
the
> > SQL db's and user files, but how do I go about bringing across the
> Exchange
> > 5.5 mailboxes to Exchange 2000?

> > Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

> > Thanks! Rick

Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Post by Chris Downe » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 10:40:57

Hi Rick -

I've been studying the same question.  My company has many DELL servers and
I've always found their tech support to be excellent and on-the-ball.  So I
called them about this very question.  They said that they do *not*
recommend the upgrade because they (1) have seen mostly failures and (2)
they cannot as of yet reproduce a successful process.

I was really hoping that there would be an easy way to upgrade but from
conversations with others in this group, I now consider upgrading to be
risky.  So, I'm going to purchase an additional hard drive for the server,
do a clean, new install of SBS 2000 on it, and then import all existing data
from the old hard drive.  If there are any complications, roll back to the
old system will be easy.

I'm interested in knowing what you decide to do.

Chris

Quote:> I have a client I need to upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000.  But...it has
> be done on the "same" box.  The existing box has SBS 4.5 on C:\, and
> user/company files/mailboxes/SQL Server db's on D:\ and E:\.

> From those that have already upgraded, do you think the way to go is to
try
> the upgrade in place, or to do a clean install on C:\ and then load
Exchange
> mailboxes, SQL db's, and user files from the backup?  I know how to do the
> SQL db's and user files, but how do I go about bringing across the
Exchange
> 5.5 mailboxes to Exchange 2000?

> Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

> Thanks! Rick

Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Post by Les Conno » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 00:05:56

It is possible to succeed with an in place upgrade, but perhaps not on the
first try!.

Are your c:\, d:\, and e:\ on the same physical disk? If so, here's an
option.

1. Back up your existing drive to tape. (disk0)
2. Install another (identical) hd, mirror your existing drive to this one.
(disk1)
3. Get the instructions on how to set up your mirrored drive as a boot disk.
4. Disconnect the cables from both disks, plug in disk1 using the previous
disk0 connector.
5. Boot up, do the required stuff (uninstalling uncompatible apps', port
changes, etc.) that are documented in the readme.
6. When you can forsee a window of about 12 hours in which you can bring the
lan down, give the upgrade a go.

7. If the upgrade fails (or you took a wrong fork in the road and don't like
the result), put your drives back to their original place and boot to disk0,
re-mirror, and you're back to a working configuration before anyone comes
back to work.

8. Once the upgrade is successfull on the disk1, (now in disk0 position),
you can re-connect the previous disk0 in disk1 position. If you need to
re-install any 3rd party app's, etc., the data is all available on the
second drive. You may need to 'take ownership' of the files on the old
original drive, but you can bring them over. After a period of time, when
you've got all you need from the original drive, you can incorporate it into
your system however you see fit.

This worked for me. The third time was the charm. I ended up with an
in-place upgrade that has been perking along quite nicely for about 90 days
now. I was able to 'experiment' with installs on a production sbs simply
because I knew that at any time, I could swap drives and have the previous
os back up within a short period of time.

Les Connor
system administrator by default

Quote:> I have a client I need to upgrade from SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000.  But...it has
> be done on the "same" box.  The existing box has SBS 4.5 on C:\, and
> user/company files/mailboxes/SQL Server db's on D:\ and E:\.

> From those that have already upgraded, do you think the way to go is to
try
> the upgrade in place, or to do a clean install on C:\ and then load
Exchange
> mailboxes, SQL db's, and user files from the backup?  I know how to do the
> SQL db's and user files, but how do I go about bringing across the
Exchange
> 5.5 mailboxes to Exchange 2000?

> Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

> Thanks! Rick

Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Post by Rick Marti » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 05:40:50

Thanks Les,

Interesting idea.  No, my c:\ d:\ and e:\ drives are on two physical disks
(both 9GB), with c:\ (4GB) and d:\ (5GB) on disk 0 and e:\ (9GB) on disk 1.

Although, I guess I could repartition disk 1 and put d:\ on disk 1.  I
currently have the Exchange databases spread out over d:\ and e:\.  I guess
for the time being, I could move them back to c:\.

Does the above make sense?  But since I would have to convince the customer
to buy another 9GB hard drive anyway, I could simply install clean to the
new drive and reinstall the few apps that are on the server.  But then, how
do I get the old Exchange mailboxes moved over?

Inplace Upgrade 4.5->2000 or Clean Install on same machine?

Post by Les Conno » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 23:08:27

If there aren't too many mailboxes, export them to pst's. Re-create the
users in the new install, import the pst's.

Les Connor
system administrator by default

Quote:> Thanks Les,