Outlook XP w/contacts for roaming users w/o roaming profiles?

Outlook XP w/contacts for roaming users w/o roaming profiles?

Post by Alan » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:59:32

It seems reasonable that in this new millennium a user should be able to
create local contacts, use them when creating email, and have that
capability follow the user from workstation to workstation.

But this is not the default setup!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully someone in this NG has figured this out.

SBS2k.  All Win2K clients.  All Office XP clients. Outlook clients store
their e-mail on the server. No PSTs.

Default behavior of Outlook does not enable local Contacts as an address.???
<<Where do they expect users to store email addresses?>>   While I can
readily change this for a user at a workstation, it does not follow him/her
to another workstation.  Cries of "my contacts are gone" hound me, until I
turn on the Contacts folder as another address book at the next workstation.

With 25 users and 20 PCs, this is now the only rub to allowing everyone to
work at any workstation.

I have not implemented roaming profiles, because experts say yuck!  Have
redirected some of the folders (My Documents, Desktop, and Start Menu).
Briefly tried Application Data redirection, but to no avail.

So what/how do I set up.  I've search group policy templates.

Outlook XP w/contacts for roaming users w/o roaming profiles?

Post by Alan » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:36:07

Finally figured it out.  You set up an additional Outlook profile and
account called "Outlook Address Book", when customizing the OfficeXP
installation options (through the customization tools available on the
Office Resource Kit).

You have to set up a

Quote:> It seems reasonable that in this new millennium a user should be able to